TGXEAR discussion thread.
May 3, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #1,126 of 1,872
I never knew this day would come, but looks like it is here already, whether I like it or not.

I am letting go of my FAudio Dark Sky (sold already).

There were several reasons behind this:
  1. I vowed to use Dark Sky only indoor. It is a pricey unit and I did not want to risk any mishap while using it outdoor. However, for indoor usage earbuds are proving to be easier to use and more enjoyable.
  2. The deep and throbbing subbass, which I used to love once so much, now feels like smothering the music. I am more than satisfied with the bass of Serratus in a reasonably quiet environment.
  3. The midrange and treble produced by Serratus feel so much more full-bodied, real, and tactile, that in comparison the same regions of Dark Sky sound thin and less engaging.
  4. Agreed, Dark Sky has more depth of stage. But Serratus feel more alive.
  5. For outdoor usage, I would rather stick to IEMs of around $500 range to have a near audiophile experience, as for true audiophile experience I will have my $200 Serratus at home.
So, thank you, @tgx78 , for turning a near-basshead IEM me into an earbud me. Never had I ever gone through such a radical transformation, but your tuning managed to do that. You are a genius and I feel blessed to enter the world of buds with one of your offerings.

Now excuse me while I go and place an order for the Ripples :jecklinsmile:.

May 3, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #1,127 of 1,872
I never knew this day would come, but looks like it is here already, whether I like it or not.

I am letting go of my FAudio Dark Sky (sold already).

There were several reasons behind this:
  1. I vowed to use Dark Sky only indoor. It is a pricey unit and I did not want to risk any mishap while using it outdoor. However, for indoor usage earbuds are proving to be easier to use and more enjoyable.
  2. The deep and throbbing subbass, which I used to love once so much, now feels like smothering the music. I am more than satisfied with the bass of Serratus in a reasonably quiet environment.
  3. The midrange and treble produced by Serratus feel so much more full-bodied, real, and tactile, that in comparison the same regions of Dark Sky sound thin and less engaging.
  4. Agreed, Dark Sky has more depth of stage. But Serratus feel more alive.
  5. For outdoor usage, I would rather stick to IEMs of around $500 range to have a near audiophile experience, as for true audiophile experience I will have my $200 Serratus at home.
So, thank you, @tgx78 , for turning a near-basshead IEM me into an earbud me. Never had I ever gone through such a radical transformation, but your tuning managed to do that. You are a genius and I feel blessed to enter the world of buds with one of your offerings.

Now excuse me while I go and place an order for the Ripples :jecklinsmile:.
Ripples is so addicting! Let us know your impressions :)

May 3, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #1,128 of 1,872
Ripples is so addicting! Let us know your impressions :)
+1. Ripples is my favourite of all the TGXear buds that I have. Second is Totem and Serratus is third.

May 3, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #1,130 of 1,872
May 6, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #1,134 of 1,872
I don’t understand what’s happening, I came to the conclusion that the Serratus are a bit too sibilant for my taste, and could not use them without EQ. But then today, listening to an album (the complete orchestral works of Scriabin on Decca) that can easily sound harsh with the big brass moments, i used the Serratus un-EQd, no crossfeed, nothing, (RME-ADI-2 going to Liquid Platinum) and it is just perfect, and literally more enjoyable than my best over ear headphones.
I’ll confess that lately I thought that maybe the Serratus gained too much praise but mea culpa, it is absolutely incredible Indeed.
I have the trio Alpha, Serratus, Tantalus which are all absolutely great, and I’m waiting a bit for the next one…maybe Ripples or some big surprise ?
Wasn’t TGX going to release a planar soon ?

May 6, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #1,135 of 1,872
I don’t understand what’s happening, I came to the conclusion that the Serratus are a bit too sibilant for my taste, and could not use them without EQ. But then today, listening to an album (the complete orchestral works of Scriabin on Decca) that can easily sound harsh with the big brass moments, i used the Serratus un-EQd, no crossfeed, nothing, (RME-ADI-2 going to Liquid Platinum) and it is just perfect, and literally more enjoyable than my best over ear headphones.
I’ll confess that lately I thought that maybe the Serratus gained too much praise but mea culpa, it is absolutely incredible Indeed.
I have the trio Alpha, Serratus, Tantalus which are all absolutely great, and I’m waiting a bit for the next one…maybe Ripples or some big surprise ?
Wasn’t TGX going to release a planar soon ?
The planar project is on hold, I believe. He's got some new ideas he's working on - give him a ping on Instagram!

May 6, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #1,137 of 1,872
Thanks friend ! I don’t have or intend on having Instgram so you’re helpful.
Ah ok, you can also message him on Headfi! @tgx78. I think his next project is still several months away from being finished

May 6, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #1,139 of 1,872
Do you think it will surpass everything and you have an idea of what he’s aiming for ?
Haha not sure how I could know that! I do think you should ask him directly - I don't think I'm at the liberty to say much about his ongoing work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back