TGXEAR discussion thread.
Apr 20, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #1,096 of 1,872
IMG_2912.jpg

My modest collection of TGXear buds!

My order of preference is Ripples>Totem>Serratus>Carbon>Alpha>Tofino.

It is a toss-up between Ripples and Totem. Both are at the next level even to Serratus. Totem is a technical monster but the Ripples for me is warmer and so is slightly more engaging for my music library.

For this comparison, I drove all of them through my Hugo TT2.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #1,097 of 1,872
My top 3 buds (out of the 9 total I own) at the moment. I really do not need to look for any others.. covers everything well.

Blur 'White Wraith'
TGXear Serratus, +2 db mid bass blue bell
TGXear Alpha

PXL_20230419_211048514.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
Where do you purchase Blur?

Apr 20, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #1,099 of 1,872
IMG_2912.jpg

It is a toss-up between Ripples and Totem. Both are at the next level even to Serratus. Totem is a technical monster but the Ripples for me is warmer and so is slightly more engaging for my music library.

Ripples vs carbon. Is there any difference??

Apr 20, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #1,100 of 1,872
IMG_2396.jpeg

Just received my Totems and am very excited to start listening to them. Just want to publicly express my appreciation for Jim's willingness to accommodate specific requests. I love the cable on the Ripples, so I asked Jim to use that cable instead, at a longer, desktop length. Very, very happy so far. I'm three minutes into listening to these, but these feel like I have headphones on, even more so than with any other of my buds. There's a "breadth" to the sound that I associate with having a pad around my ear. I'm not sure if that's because the bell shape is placing the driver a little further away from my ear than my other buds or if it's due to this specific driver/tuning. Will follow up once I've had more listening time.

As an aside, if someone's looking for a pair of Serratus or Tantalus, mine are up in the Classifieds.

Apr 20, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #1,101 of 1,872
Where do you purchase Blur?
He responds to messages via his Instagram. I reached out a few weeks ago to see how he is doing and he is acclimating to a new job so making earbuds has taken a backseat for the time being.

I am curious about the colorful straps.

Made by Blur :) When ordering the my last earbud from him last year, I requested a few more of his cable wraps (which I find the best that I have encountered) and he included a nice skittle mix of them.

Apr 21, 2023 at 1:05 AM Post #1,102 of 1,872
Ripples vs carbon. Is there any difference??
Yes there is. From my notes, the Carbon is more like the Alpha and for me, the Carbon is like an upgrade to the Alpha. Both play my classical library really well though the Alpha is better for big orchestral classical music while the Carbon is better for small chamber classical music. The Alpha has to my ears, rolled-off treble whereas the Carbon is more extended. The king of treble for me is the Totem (very resolving yet sweet). The Alpha though and has a wider presentation of music than the Carbon (being more intimate).

My notes show that the Alpha needs power to shine or else they could sound slightly veiled. I did an internet search and found out that the Alpha is a 600Ω beryllium driver and that accounts for the need for power to drive the Alpha to reveal its qualities. The Carbon on the other hand is a 100Ω bio-fiber driver so it is easier to drive. I also have it in my notes that female voices shine more on the Carbon than on the Alpha.

The Ripples on the other hand is my current favourite and works well as an all-rounder, playing all genres of my library well. In my notes, the Ripples is balanced with a very natural tonality. It presents music on a wide stage, is holographic and highly resolving. It has good bass (both mid and sub) and fast transients which gives it a nice punch. Of all the TGXears buds that I own, it has the second-most quietest background. The title of quietest background goes to Totem. Finally, the Ripples is very atmospheric and engages me the most. Jim describes the Ripples as a bud that is "[t]uned to closely match [his] personal target of neutrality with the best possible timbre. [It is a] highly resolving set [and] is ideal for orchestral work, solo acoustic instrument, vocal jazz and pop music. From my own notes, what I hear agrees with his assessment.

The Ripples is therefore very different from the Carbon even though both have a similar 100Ω bio-fiber drivers. I guess the difference is down to the tuning which is a testament to the skill of master-tuner @tgx78. For me, Jim has outdone himself with how the Ripples is tuned. Kudos!

As ever, YMMV and all that. Hope this helps.

Apr 21, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #1,103 of 1,872
IMG_2912.jpg

wow, that's a beautiful assortment of TOTL earbuds! I'm curious, were you previously an earbuds fan or did Jim's work convert you?

Apr 22, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #1,104 of 1,872
Well, new Serratus with Aluminium Bells and revised tuning got released and I had to take the plunge!

Sold my previous SSB Serratus on the classifieds here within minutes though, so the difference is marginal :D what a community we have here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230422-113711.png
    Screenshot_20230422-113711.png
    524 KB · Views: 0
Apr 22, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #1,105 of 1,872
wow, that's a beautiful assortment of TOTL earbuds! I'm curious, were you previously an earbuds fan or did Jim's work convert you?
Thanks! Previously i guess. Watershed moment for me for buds was the X6. I liked it so much i bought one in every colour-way!

Apr 22, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #1,108 of 1,872
Thanks! Previously i guess. Watershed moment for me for buds was the X6. I liked it so much i bought one in every colour-way!
I loved (and still love) the X6! A couple years ago, it appeared that the x6 was going to be discontinued. I panicked and bought 10 sets to keep me happy for the rest of my life. =)

Apr 22, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #1,109 of 1,872
Well, new Serratus with Aluminium Bells and revised tuning got released and I had to take the plunge!

Sold my previous SSB Serratus on the classifieds here within minutes though, so the difference is marginal :D what a community we have here.
lol, "revised tuning". so now we need to get 2 of everything Jim has to satisfy the craving?

Apr 22, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #1,110 of 1,872
I loved (and still love) the X6! A couple years ago, it appeared that the x6 was going to be discontinued. I panicked and bought 10 sets to keep me happy for the rest of my life. =)
:L3000: this is the way:gs1000smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back