TGXEAR discussion thread.
May 8, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #1,143 of 1,872
Why is Totem not discussed enough? It’s the current flagship, come on buddies !
That's not how these work. Just different sound profiles ans driver types, for different flavors. Totem is a warm neutral sound that never offends. I myself prefer Carbon, but it's just a very subjective difference.

May 8, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #1,145 of 1,872
Can you elaborate a bit on the difference between carbon and totem?
Oh sure! To my ears, Totem has a very warm signature, which means to me that it has tame treble, mid-focused sound. Bass is seperated well enough, but also does not stand out that much. Carbon has sparkly treble that shines in certain genres but to me also never peaks too high and a mid-bass focus, which greatly seperates the sound to give a very detailed picture that is also emotional and engaging. These impressions will vary a lot on your music library, but just two days ago I let a friend of mine try all three TGX buds I own without saying anything to him before he tried all of them. He listens to a lot of the same music style than I do, and he also liked Carbon the best. Serratus is great for EDM ans Pop music. Totem is a good allrounder, even better for vintage recordings, rock, soul music for example. Carbon is my personal allrounder just because of my library and my general love for this kind of sound signature, which sounds just perfect in a bud. There is so much space and air but it's still tight sounding when it needs to.

Again, this is all very subjective.

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #1,146 of 1,872
Oh sure! To my ears, Totem has a very warm signature, which means to me that it has a tame treble, mid-focused sound. Bass is seperated well enough, but also does not stand out that much. Carbon has sparkly treble that shines in certain genres but to me also never peaks too high and a mid-bass focus, which greatly seperates the sound to give a very detailed picture that is also emotional and engaging. These impressions will vary a lot on your music library, but just two days ago I let a friend of mine try all three TGX buds I own without saying anything to him before he tried all of them. He listens to a lot of the same music style than I do, and he also liked Carbon the best. Serratus is great for EDM ans Pop music. Totem is a good allrounder, even better for vintage recordings, rock, soul music for example. Carbon is my personal allrounder just because of my library and my general love for this kind of sound signature, which sounds just perfect in a bud. There is so much space and air but it's still tight sounding when it needs to.

Very interesting !!! I like to hear that the Totem can be warm !
And thanks a lot for the response !

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #1,147 of 1,872
Oh sure! To my ears, Totem has a very warm signature, which means to me that it has tame treble, mid-focused sound. Bass is seperated well enough, but also does not stand out that much. Carbon has sparkly treble that shines in certain genres but to me also never peaks too high and a mid-bass focus, which greatly seperates the sound to give a very detailed picture that is also emotional and engaging. These impressions will vary a lot on your music library, but just two days ago I let a friend of mine try all three TGX buds I own without saying anything to him before he tried all of them. He listens to a lot of the same music style than I do, and he also liked Carbon the best. Serratus is great for EDM ans Pop music. Totem is a good allrounder, even better for vintage recordings, rock, soul music for example. Carbon is my personal allrounder just because of my library and my general love for this kind of sound signature, which sounds just perfect in a bud. There is so much space and air but it's still tight sounding when it needs to.

How hard are each of them to drive?

May 9, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #1,148 of 1,872
I have seen people say otherwise, but I find none of them hard to drive at all. My moondrop dawn dongle is more than capable. And so is my phone tbh (but barely, on its own.)

May 9, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #1,149 of 1,872
I have the 300Ohm Serratus, and while it sounds pretty good with the iPhone dongle, it improves a lot with a desktop amp. Sub-bass digs deeper, and the soundstage expands noticeably in all directions resulting in better instrument separation and a perception of more 'air' between them.

So if you're thinking to use the Questyle M15 or GoBlu, you shouldn't be disappointed, but there is probably even better performance you could get with a more powerful amp.

May 10, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #1,150 of 1,872
I'm repeating myself but I'm very glad that TGX buds are hard to drive because we are looking for TOTL earbuds that can scale with our best gear, and could eventually replace the heavy headphones. If somebody wants to use the phone as a source, why bother with "audiophile" quality ? And sensitive earbuds don't match well with the best amps. When I read "hard to drive" it's always good news.

May 11, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #1,151 of 1,872
Hey guys, my full review of Serratus and Ripples is now online here. Enjoy!

TGXEar_15.jpg

May 11, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #1,152 of 1,872
May 11, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #1,153 of 1,872
20230510_152825.jpg

After hearing teenagers screaming non-stop for 6 hours straight everyday... I like to have some ME time :ksc75smile:
Hiby R3 2022 + Carbon.

May 12, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #1,154 of 1,872
20230510_152825.jpg
After hearing teenagers screaming non-stop for 6 hours straight everyday... I like to have some ME time :ksc75smile:
Hiby R3 2022 + Carbon.
I can totally relate!!! Turn it up!!!

May 12, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #1,155 of 1,872
I can totally relate!!! Turn it up!!!
Oh you know I do!
And the great thing about buds is that in case of emergencies like calls or knocking on my door, I can still hear it 👍🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back