TGXEAR discussion thread.
Jan 26, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #661 of 1,869
To anyone that has TOTL IEMs and Headphones, how do you compare these earbuds without hype? Just pure realism.

Also, purely for sound, at what price range or specific product does these earbuds compare to, without the hype? (Headphones and/or IEMs)
Someone told me somewhere the TGXears Serratus would be (almost) as good as my HEKse. 3500.00 compared to 200.00. He wasn’t joking. They are that good.

Jan 26, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #663 of 1,869
To anyone that has TOTL IEMs and Headphones, how do you compare these earbuds without hype? Just pure realism.

Also, purely for sound, at what price range or specific product does these earbuds compare to, without the hype? (Headphones and/or IEMs)
I don't have any TOTL IEMs but I do have the IE600 and I feel like the signature of the serratus is quite similar to the IE600. They both have tight impactful bass and great detail retrieval with awesome extension. The Serratus loses in overall bass but wins in staging and imaging by a mile

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #664 of 1,869

tgx sold me his Aroma Jewel because he preferred Serratus, which sounds like an insane decision. Now that I have both a Jewel and a Serratus I fully understand why.

They are completely different form factor though so it's not entirely fair to compare them directly, just as it'd be difficult to compare an IEM to a headphone or headphone to a speaker. But if I could get the experience of Serratus in an IEM form (which is likely not possible?) I'd be very very happy. Unfortunately earbuds will never be my preferred form factor just as I don't like headphones either, but they're the real deal imo, no hype needed.

Jan 27, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #666 of 1,869
There's hype and then there is justified praise. It's very hard to differentiate between the two in the opinion of others. Listening time and continued enjoyment of something is the only thing I tend to trust. The 'honeymoon period' is real. Six months and many hours of enjoyment later, for me the quality of these buds remains undeniable and is a daily reminder of deminishing returns. Earbuds have always offered great value and we're seeing more people appreciate that, so hype is unavoidable. Thankfully we have people like @Neweymatt and others who, IMO, are offering an honest perspective on things.

Happy Friday everyone :)

Jan 27, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #668 of 1,869
It’s interesting that buds hurt your ears. I can see how they would fall out easily for some people but I’m surprised that they would hurt with how they just sit in your ears.

I guess they are pressing up against part of your ear? Maybe a bell shell would be better since it’s smaller?

Jim has sent me some a version of Serratus which is much more comfortable and sounds great

Jan 27, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #671 of 1,869
Hi, how well do u feel does the q5k power the serratus. I’m considering getting my own pair and I already own a Q5k
It's hard for me to tell as it's the most powerful device I own. Imo it sounds pretty amazing on it. If I had to knock anything it's a little bright for me. Imo the Q5K is a pretty clean source so idk if a more powerful source would solve that or if I just need a little warmer source. I ordered some hiegi foams so that might help

Jan 27, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #672 of 1,869
In a stroke of good timing, these both arrived today, can't wait to compare!

Attachments

• 20230127_124119.jpg
    20230127_124119.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Jan 27, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #673 of 1,869
It's hard for me to tell as it's the most powerful device I own. Imo it sounds pretty amazing on it. If I had to knock anything it's a little bright for me. Imo the Q5K is a pretty clean source so idk if a more powerful source would solve that or if I just need a little warmer source. I ordered some hiegi foams so that might help
Hi there! I personally didn't like Hiegi foam on the Serratus. But you are using the Q5K (which I also own), so why not PEQ the treble down a bit? IMO, while I love the Q5K, it can be too analytical sounding.

Jan 27, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #674 of 1,869
Hi there! I personally didn't like Hiegi foam on the Serratus. But you are using the Q5K (which I also own), so why not PEQ the treble down a bit? IMO, while I love the Q5K, it can be too analytical sounding.
Why didn't you like the hiegi foam? I'm double foaming right now to help damn. I'm not a fan of EQ, mainly because I'm not good at it lol. I feel like every time I use it and spend hours getting a setting I like I try it with it off and prefer that over my settings

Jan 27, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #675 of 1,869
Why didn't you like the hiegi foam? I'm double foaming right now to help damn. I'm not a fan of EQ, mainly because I'm not good at it lol. I feel like every time I use it and spend hours getting a setting I like I try it with it off and prefer that over my settings
From memory, and YMMV, but I thought it muddied up the sound and the stage. Hopefully it'll work out for you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back