TGXEAR discussion thread.
Jan 28, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #691 of 1,872
It's not hard to drive, but scales with sources. I prefer to have a desktop grade setup for full satisfaction. Little dongle could hold it off, but why not go more into another league?

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #692 of 1,872
I should be receiving my Ripples in bell form very soon. Can't wait to see how they pair with my L&P, first experience with good buds (of the aural type 😂)!!!

Jan 28, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #693 of 1,872
Saturday just got a whole lot more exciting!
20230128_135619.jpg

Jan 28, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #694 of 1,872
Got my Ripples last week and finally found some time this weekend for a proper listening session. First impression is tgxears are worth the hype. Ripples is exactly what I was looking for as an addition to my collection and as my first real earbuds.

Dynamics are on par with TOTL IEMs. I personally think the microdynamics at least actually edge out my u12t and ier-z1r because dynamic changes sound more consistent to me on the Ripples. Macrodynamics and technicalities/detail are still a little better for me on my IEMs but I think that is the form factor coming into play.

Great soundstage with vocals front and center and great instrumental separation/layering. Timbre is wonderfully natural. Vocals especially are better to me on the Ripples than on my IEMs which sound somewhat artificially airy to me. Not a dealbreaker either way for me but I definitely prefer the natural route over making vocals sound ethereal. I could use just a tiny bit more bite for female vocals and piano but that’s just me nitpicking.

When I get the right fit (I regret not trying to request a bell shell), mid-bass is surprisingly nice and punchy without sounding bloated. Not as impactful as z1r or u12t but enough punch for my satisfaction and, most importantly, zero bleed into the mid-range. Sub-bass is lacking in texture and quantity but not really an issue unless you’re listening to heavily sub-bass oriented genres like trap EDM or kpop. I have my IEMs for those genres so it’s not an issue for me.

Overall, Ripples has made classical music and my favorite pop artists’ recorded concerts enjoyable again. I love my IEMs but, between the popular U-shaped or neutral with bass boost tonality and inherently more intimate soundstage than earbuds, they just weren’t cutting it for me for classical music and live performances. Ripples delivered and at a great value. They won’t be replacing my IEMs but is a happy addition that rounds out my collection.

Jan 28, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #695 of 1,872
I received the Serratus (stainless steel bell) and Ripples yesterday but only today I was able to try them. There's a lot of hype surrounding @tgx78 earbuds but believe it or not they are the real deal.

Listening done with iBasso DX320/AMP14.

I tested Serratus with Hans Zimmer Live in Prague, The Dark Knight and Max Richter Vivaldi Recomposed.

I'm astonished. It has a airy and wide soundstage that I've never heard before in a IEM, it's like open cans. Fantastic layering and imaging. The timbre is so natural and accurate, I just love the tonality of the Serratus. They sound a bit bright but there's no harshness, at least for my ears. The treble is not fatiguing and the bass is very good for a pair of earbuds, especially sub-bass. Again, the most brilliant aspect of the Serratus is the staging and imaging. It has a speaker like presentation.

Next was the Ripples. Tested with some tunes from my prog/rock/metal library.

The Ripples is a different beast. It's mid-bass focused with great texture and the treble is smoother. Timbre still great but on the warmer side. Layering and resolution are excellent but imaging and staging definitely are more intimate, mimics a IEM. But then comes greatness. I mean dynamics. It's superb. Great contrast and energy with good macro and micro details. Vocals also sounds excellent. I would say from early listening it sounds better with male vocals.

I own Tantalus, Serratus and Ripples. They're all different to my ears but all of them have one aspect in common: great timbre. Tantalus needs more power, but when properly done it sounds exceptional, particularly with vocals. Serratus probably is the all rounder of the bunch, which excels with classical and orchestral. Ripples has great dynamic contrast and it excels with music with lots of energy. You don't need to break the bank to listen to your tunes with the best quality possible. TGXEar earbuds are a bargain in my opinion and they deserve to succeed. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #696 of 1,872
I received the Serratus (stainless steel bell) and Ripples yesterday but only today I was able to try them. There's a lot of hype surrounding @tgx78 earbuds but believe it or not they are the real deal.

I tested Serratus with Hans Zimmer Live in Prague, The Dark Knight and Max Richter Vivaldi Recomposed.

I'm astonished. It has a airy and wide soundstage that I've never heard before in a IEM, it's like open cans. Fantastic layering and imaging. The timbre is so natural and accurate, I just love the tonality of the Serratus. They sound a bit bright but there's no harshness, at least for my ears. The treble is not fatiguing and the bass is very good for a pair of earbuds, especially sub-bass. Again, the most brilliant aspect of the Serratus is the staging and imaging. It has a speaker like presentation.

The Ripples is a different beast. It's mid-bass focused with great texture and the treble is smoother. Timbre still great but on the warmer side. Layering and resolution are excellent but imaging and staging definitely are more intimate, mimics a IEM. But then comes greatness. I mean dynamics. It's superb. Great contrast and energy with good macro and micro details. Vocals also sounds excellent. I would say from early listening it sounds better with male vocals.

I own Tantalus, Serratus and Ripples. They're all different to my ears but all of them have one aspect in common: great timbre. Tantalus needs more power, but when properly done it sounds exceptional, particularly with vocals. Serratus probably is the all rounder of the bunch, which excels with classical and orchestral. Ripples has great dynamic contrast and it excels with music with lots of energy. You don't need to break the bank to listen to your tunes with the best quality possible. TGXEar earbuds are a bargain in my opinion and they deserve to succeed. Highly recommended.
Thanks for the write-up! That was actually something I wanted to ask the people of this thread here:

How do Alpha and Tantalus compare to Serratus and Ripples? They are harder to drive, sure, but what is their sound signature like for you and where do they excel or lack in comparison? I am excited to read your answers! :)

Jan 28, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #697 of 1,872

Which one is your favorite among these three?

Jan 29, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #698 of 1,872
They sound a bit bright but there's no harshness, at least for my ears.
Great write-up, but for me this specifically is what I think really sets Serratus apart, at least vs several of the brighter/upper-mid forward IEMs I've heard such as Elysian Gaea or Meze Advar. I get all of that lovely upper-mid detail from Serratus without ever feeling like they are confusingly out of balance vs the rest of the FR, and with zero fatigue.

Jan 29, 2023 at 4:34 AM Post #699 of 1,872
Thanks for the write-up! That was actually something I wanted to ask the people of this thread here:

How do Alpha and Tantalus compare to Serratus and Ripples? They are harder to drive, sure, but what is their sound signature like for you and where do they excel or lack in comparison? I am excited to read your answers! :)
I don't have the Alpha but it's described to have the better timbre of the bunch. Also needs power to shine. 600Ohms

The Tantalus also needs to be properly powered to get the best sound possible. Probably would say it is a mid centric earbuds with great focus on vocals. It is warmer than Serratus, perhaps not as good technicalities but with better bass texture and note weight. Still excellent clarity across all frequencies. Staging depth is also great.

The Tantalus uses a MX500 shell, so fit could me more challenging.

Jan 29, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #700 of 1,872
Which one is your favorite among these three?
All of them.😅 They complement each other. I would say Serratus and Tantalus can play with a more diversity of genres. They all are extraordinary with classical and orchestral

Jan 29, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #701 of 1,872
@tgx78 - I believe you mentioned a while back that Ripples will be available soon in a steel bell housing. Is that correct? How are things looking in terms of availability, if so?

Thanks.

Jan 29, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #702 of 1,872
The Serratus and the other models, how wide is the shell in diameter?

Jan 29, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #703 of 1,872
This has probs been talked about but, as I recently placed an order on a Serratus (yay, new to earbuds here too), with a SE 3.5mm, are cables with termination adaptors a thing on earbuds? My best gear has 3.5mm mostly, but my best amp has balanced 2.5mm also.

Jan 29, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #704 of 1,872
This has probs been talked about but, as I recently placed an order on a Serratus (yay, new to earbuds here too), with a SE 3.5mm, are cables with termination adaptors a thing on earbuds? My best gear has 3.5mm mostly, but my best amp has balanced 2.5mm also.
Adapters are a thing but you can't go from SE to BAL. You can go the other way though

Jan 29, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #705 of 1,872
Could you clarify what you mean by best gear? Is it portable DAC amp? Do you envision using the Serratus on the go or at the desk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back