TGXEAR discussion thread.
Dec 18, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #496 of 1,851
Does anyone use peq with Serratus? If so can you share your settings?

I do. But take these with a grain of salt, because the frequency response of flathead earbuds depends very much on individual fit.

To illustrate what I mean, here's a set of RAW measurements of the Rose Maria II earbuds with just tenth of millimeters variation in fit. You can see the resulting differences in frequency response, which are significant below 1kHz:
B4O1bbj.jpg

That being said, here's the measured FR of Serratus that correlates most plausibly with what I hear. I've put it up against the Monoprice M350 planar earphones, which are my personal benchmark for neutrality. For convenience, I use diffuse-field compensation, so true neutral would be a horizontal line:

(red = Serratus DF-comp, green = M350 DF-comp, gray = Serratus RAW)
2FpImaI.jpg

Compared to the M350, Serratus has moderate bass elevation that extends well into the lower mids. I can hear the difference in that M350's mid/upper bass sounds tighter and more detailed, whereas Serratus is slightly more reverberant and less defined in comparison. The difference isn't much, but easily noticeable in A/B.

Past 7kHz, Serratus has significant excess treble energy with a peak around 9kHz, whereas the M350 only starts to rise higher up and peaks around 12kHz. With my ageing ears, I can bear M350's treble without EQ-ing, but not Serratus' energy between 7-10kHz, which introduces some sibilance and skews the note-weight of cymbals towards thinness.

So I've resorted to EQ Serratus (in Neutron Player) with a peak filter of -3dB and a Q of 0.667 at 100Hz to tighten the bass a bit. And I use another peak filter of -5dB and a Q of 2.5 at 9.5kHz to tame excessive treble. Note that I used my measurement just as a reference point, but EQ-ing has been done by ear until I felt it sounded right for me.

My personal need for EQ-ing the Serratus notwithstanding, I think that these are very good earbuds and the best sounding flatheads I've heard so far.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #499 of 1,851
I do. But take these with a grain of salt, because the frequency response of flathead earbuds depends very much on individual fit.

To illustrate what I mean, here's a set of RAW measurements of the Rose Maria II earbuds with just tenth of millimeters variation in fit. You can see the resulting differences in frequency response, which are significant below 1kHz:
B4O1bbj.jpg

That being said, here's the measured FR of Serratus that correlates most plausibly with what I hear. I've put it up against the Monoprice M350 planar earphones, which are my personal benchmark for neutrality. For convenience, I use diffuse-field compensation, so true neutral would be a horizontal line:

(red = Serratus DF-comp, green = M350 DF-comp, gray = Serratus RAW)
2FpImaI.jpg

Compared to the M350, Serratus has moderate bass elevation that extends well into the lower mids. I can hear the difference in that M350's mid/upper bass sounds tighter and more detailed, whereas Serratus is slightly more reverberant and less defined in comparison. The difference isn't much, but easily noticeable in A/B.

Past 7kHz, Serratus has significant excess treble energy with a peak around 9kHz, whereas the M350 only starts to rise higher up and peaks around 12kHz. With my ageing ears, I can bear M350's treble without EQ-ing, but not Serratus' energy between 7-10kHz, which introduces some sibilance and skews the note-weight of cymbals towards thinness.

So I've resorted to EQ Serratus (in Neutron Player) with a peak filter of -3dB and a Q of 0.667 at 100Hz to tighten the bass a bit. And I use another peak filter of -5dB and a Q of 2.5 at 9.5kHz to tame excessive treble. Note that I used my measurement just as a reference point, but EQ-ing has been done by ear until I felt it sounded right for me.

My personal need for EQ-ing the Serratus notwithstanding, I think that these are very good earbuds and the best sounding flatheads I've heard so far.
I agree, in the longer run, Serratus definitely needs EQing, for me in the treble and higher mids too. That being said, like you, I find them simply amazing. Like the HD700 can be for those who can EQ it.

Dec 27, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #500 of 1,851
9635FF52-31A7-4BD1-8DC6-51C7170188EB.jpeg

Exciting arrival today. @tgx78 #TGXears Serratus Stainless Steel Bell Earphones.

These sound great. Really nice feel to them. They aren’t heavy but they aren’t light. They feel great in ear.

Dec 28, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #501 of 1,851
Does anyone find the timbre in iems sound a bit artificial or digital so to speak compared to the tgx earbuds?

I was doing some A/B with serratus, tantalus and Softears Turri Ti (single DD) for an hour now back to back switching between middle of songs and everytime I came to Turri Ti, it seemed to have a sheen to it, especially on the mids.

I think the SoftEars Tour of the Turri Ti and the Twilight made me realize how special #TGXears @tgx78 earbuds are…

I loved the Turri Ti but I love my Serratus more… not to mention the Serratus is 1/10th the price…

Dec 28, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #503 of 1,851
I think the SoftEars Tour of the Turri Ti and the Twilight made me realize how special #TGXears @tgx78 earbuds are…

I loved the Turri Ti but I love my Serratus more… not to mention the Serratus is 1/10th the price…
Luckily I have both :)

I have been contemplating selling the Turri Ti or Mentor but I think they have their own places of use.

Yesterday had a good session with the Tantalus and the vocals on that is 👌🏾

Dec 28, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #504 of 1,851
And my Ripples are on the way! Can’t wait!!

Dec 28, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #506 of 1,851
Dec 28, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #507 of 1,851
Welcome to the club!
I'm still waiting to join the club (local courier delay woes). What are your impressions of the Ripples so far?

Dec 28, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #509 of 1,851
Still not landed, will take 2 weeks I presume. Right now I have the tantalus and serratus, both are 👌🏾
Ah I see, then you are in the same club as I - Waiting for the Ripples Club :sweat_smile: I am enjoying the Serratus in the mean-time!

Dec 28, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #510 of 1,851
I cannot wait for the Ripples but I will need to wait for the “bell” shaped earspeakers.

I am really enjoying my Serratus Steel Bell Earspeakers.

🎶🎶🎶🎶

Users who are viewing this thread

Back