TGXEAR discussion thread.
Dec 13, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #481 of 1,861
Serratus are a beautiful pair, I think my little dongle is at its limits at powering them optimally. Giving them enough power, they are grand, beautiful, punchy, and transparent, but edgy at times. At lower volumes, the dongle handles it mediocrely, lacking in punch and airiness. Dailing in higher volumes gives the Serratus its required power for punchy dynamics and sweet air, but there's sibilance. Not annoying, but I still hope its gone.

I have a S.M.S.L. desktop headphone setup at home, but I will have to wait 3 weeks before able to give them an amplified test drive.

Arrived at home. I should've slept more after having lunch as I am not used to camping at the airport overnight. As I was about to sleep, I suddenly thought about testing the desktop setup. I thought to myself, 'It wouldn't take more than 3 minutes to assemble, so Wynaut?' Well, it did, as I need not only to setup the DAC and Amp, but also my laptop. I also need an extension for all these equipment. In case if anyone wondering, here's a picture of my chain. Apologies for the messy wiring.

my setup.jpg

The chain is simple, connecting the signal into USB-A to B using a port from the laptop into the D300 DAC. From the DAC balanced outputs, I connect it using cheap XLR interconnects into the balanced inputs of the amplifier. Then, from the amplifier, I connect the Serratus into the 4.4mm balanced port of the HO100 Amp. Comparing the setup to the dongle, it is quite tedious to chain altogether. I also have to bring an extension for plugging power supplies into the DAC, Amp and laptop. Using my dongle would be so much simpler as it only uses a USB-C connector. I only have to connect it to the back of my power delivery port, and it would run on its own. The dongle also claims to be using a balanced circuit as well, so what does it differ from my desktop chain?

sizes.jpg
atthepalmofmyhand.jpg
IMG20221213150413.jpg

(You could squeeze the dongle with the Serratus into the case together and you will still have space for some backup foams.)

The power, the sound, and the potential. I wrote that the dongle is good for powering the Serratus. In a way, that is true if you think it is enough, an added bonus if you travel often. Seriously, I would not bring my desktop chain if I were to travel twice a month. I would have to bring two boxes, an extension, cables, and spend more time tidying the wires while setting up the chain. However, if you do not consider the following, then do consider getting a setup that has enough potential for unlocking the Serratus.

What, isn't a dongle good enough? Of course not. It might be if you're cool with what you have. What I said back then going from the Salnotes Zero to the Serratus is like into a whole different league? Now apply that same concept when going from my dongle to my desktop setup. The difference is imminent when comparing both the setups side-by-side. The sound is more defined, well-controlled, sibilant-less, more sweet, more 'realistic'. You have better resolution, imaging, and technicalities with the desktop setup, a whole different matter when A/B-ing the Salnotes on though. On the Zero, you could only sense the desktop chain being "warmer" in the overall presentation, while the dongle presents a brighter or a more detailed while being in-your-face sounding characteristic. On the Zero, I prefer pairing it with the dongle. On the Serratus though, you will not only hear the warmth on the desktop chain, but also the potential of the chain. Sound-wise, it's a no brainer. Get the desktop setup, even though the chain costs 5x more than the dongle itself.

Several examples of differences I experienced so that I can put a better picture into my words. Notes: The knob was dailed around 9 o'clock on high gain while the dongle was powered at 66% of the full volume. I also prefer 44.1kHz on the desktop chain while 48kHz on the dongle.

I'm going to compare the sound using an Electro track 'Renegade'. I always loved the treble of Electronica. The ringing synths occurred in the breakdown during the 1-minute mark marks my sweet spot of the track. This along with the sense of openness makes the track fresh and energetic. While listening with the Dawn, the sound is more mid-range focused, but 'muddier' in terms of the higher frequencies. I could not get the sweetness of the track that mesmerizes me a long time ago. At first, I thought that maybe the track is old, and I should get used to the sound of 'modern electronics'. However, that changed with the desktop chain. After switching and comparing with the dongle, I not only hear the better of technicalities and overall presentation, but the sweetness of the treble back when I used to love the track so much, it's there.

A video game that I got into recently and loved. The catchy and melodious soundtrack of the battle theme, Calling Upon Bravery, is pieced together with many instruments while climaxing unto a euphoria that provides a rush of motivation. Serratus was able to layer the instruments perfectly. With the Dawn, I was able to hear the details of every instrument, but its coldness leaves me unable to enjoy the euphonic part of its progression. My desktop chain not only presents better dynamics (Bass, likely?), but also presents me with a much realistic presence that grasp me to enjoy the piece together as a whole. Now I get why people would describe pieces as if they were present live before them. With the D300 and the HO100, I feel like the Serratus is breathing pieces as if they were presenting live on a stage before me. Oh, and they were also able to bring in the euphonic part of the song, which the little dongle couldn't.

IMG20221213141332.jpg

So yeah, my take: Listen to these with a desktop chain. Maybe a FiiO K7, shown to be able to drive power hungry planars, could be my new 'portable' setup, as FiiO shows that it is able to take 12V3A DC, which could very mean that it can be supplied with Power Delivery port from the back of my laptop.

Now it's time for me to recover from my 'lack-of-sleep' camping at the airport. (I realized some things could been written better after I woke up and edited it.)

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #482 of 1,861
On the subject of what frankenstein adapter eartips with wings can be created...

I took it as a challenge to see if I could find ones on the market that I could adapt.
The ones below work quite well. They are easily available, and cheap.
With the wing eartips, the earbuds are very secure/stable in the ear. Can wear for hours without needing to adjust them.
The wing fits in the inner hollow of the Antihelix, and apply some downward pressure on the earbud,
and the earbud is held quite securely at the lower side by the Tragus and Antitragus.

Silicon wing eartips:

Original silicon, made for airpods, I believe. Cut a hole at the back.
(This is proof of concept, so not a neat cutout. But you don't really notice, once they are stretched over the earbud.
I still haven't figured out how to cut a neat hole. Maybe a hole puncher to make a ring of small holes.....)
I picked these up at a local store, but am sure I have seen similar online.

wing1 - This is how it looks installed on the earbud

Wing2 - Different style of wing, on the EM5. I kind of like how this one feels in the ear.

Wing1 with foam cover. For more treble, use without the foam.

undefined

Update on wing eartips:
These are off the shelf, and work. I thought that the small wings would fit, but found that I needed the large wings
Notes:
- the silicon grip/position on the earbud body can slip if too much pressure applied. Handle with care, and they are OK
- insert: bottom first, then press in the wing at the top, and pull push the earbud down slightly, and a slight twist to seat the wing/earbud
- remove: pull the bottom up and out, and the wing will unseat from the Antihelix

Serratus_wing.jpg
Serratus_wing_foam.jpg

******************************************************************************************************************************************

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...o.order_list.order_list_main.4.21ef180295ncjk

New arrival Silicone Ear pads buds Tips Headset Earbuds eartips Earplugs For In-ear earphone​

New arrival Silicone Ear pads buds Tips Headset Earbuds eartips Earplugs For In-ear earphone

eartip2.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #483 of 1,861
Update on wing eartips:
These are off the shelf, and work. I thought that the small wings would fit, but found that I needed the large wings
Notes:
- the silicon grip/position on the earbud body can slip if too much pressure applied. Handle with care, and they are OK
- insert: bottom first, then press in the wings at the top, and pull push the earbud down slightly, and a slight twist to seat the wing/earbud
- remove: pull the bottom up and out, and the wing will unseat from the Antihelix

******************************************************************************************************************************************

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...o.order_list.order_list_main.4.21ef180295ncjk

New arrival Silicone Ear pads buds Tips Headset Earbuds eartips Earplugs For In-ear earphone​

New arrival Silicone Ear pads buds Tips Headset Earbuds eartips Earplugs For In-ear earphone

eartip2.jpg
Deleted

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #484 of 1,861
Update on wing eartips:
Notes:
- insert: bottom first, then press in the wings at the top, and pull push the earbud down slightly, and a slight twist to seat the wing/earbud

eartip2.jpg
For maximum grip and stability you can also do that:
(wings going through the foam)

3E6C7A6D-3E69-4783-B730-97F993AFDD2B.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #485 of 1,861
Right now enjoying Makaya McCraven's performance for KEXP with the Serratus... I'm not going to say anything else... just enjoying.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #486 of 1,861
Right now enjoying Makaya McCraven's performance for KEXP with the Serratus... I'm not going to say anything else... just enjoying.

Niiccee. Maybe you'll like this:

I've been listening to the bassist on the Serratus for the last 3 weeks. So good!

Dec 13, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #487 of 1,861
For maximum grip and stability you can also do that:
(wings going through the foam)

3E6C7A6D-3E69-4783-B730-97F993AFDD2B.jpeg
by the way in my experience this method provides both more grip to the wings and the foam !
But for the TGX i prefer to leave them as they are...
I'll use that method sometimes on cheaper earbuds.

Dec 13, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #488 of 1,861
Niiccee. Maybe you'll like this:

I've been listening to the bassist on the Serratus for the last 3 weeks. So good!

I had his album "Bass Room" but it had been a while since I returned to it. Thanks to you I just discovered his 2014 live album on Qobuz. Sounds great! Although in the video Nenad himself is hypnotic.

Dec 13, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #490 of 1,861
Dec 14, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #492 of 1,861
Does anyone use peq with Serratus? If so can you share your settings?

Dec 14, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #493 of 1,861
Dec 14, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #494 of 1,861

Users who are viewing this thread

Back