TGXEAR discussion thread.
Dec 3, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #466 of 1,861
Hi folks,

My review of TGXear Serratus is finally done. You can find it on head-fi and my blog.

My final verdict of Serratus? I respect it, even though I don’t find it entirely enjoyable. Should you buy Serratus? If you know that you have no problem with an 8kHz peak and enjoy an Etymotic-like midrange, then by all means. Of course, one can argue that you can always buy DIY components to experiment with and build your own top-tier earbuds. However, everyone needs to start from somewhere, and inspecting Serratus with your hands can be a masterclass experience.

Pros:
  • Neutral and transparent midrange tuning
  • Top-shelf resolution
  • Top-shelf soundstage imaging
  • Deep and clean bass response
Cons:
  • Sibilant due to a mid-treble peak
  • Can sound cold and thin if you are used to a wamer tonality
Serratus-Summary.jpg

Dec 4, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #468 of 1,861
Dec 4, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #469 of 1,861
Respect, as I have a fascination with knives!
I saw on your website a reference to only using leather for the sheaths, from Wickett and Craig!
This is one of those random bits of data out of the blue that trigger old memories. The 2nd company I worked for was Wickett and Craig Leather tanneries in Toronto!

Working in a tannery is an experience. The chemicals that permeate everywhere are so strong that on the way home, on the streetcar, there was a clear space around me, as nobody could stand the smell.....

Dec 4, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #470 of 1,861
Respect, as I have a fascination with knives!
I saw on your website a reference to only using leather for the sheaths, from Wickett and Craig!
This is one of those random bits of data out of the blue that trigger old memories. The 2nd company I worked for was Wickett and Craig Leather tanneries in Toronto!

Working in a tannery is an experience. The chemicals that permeate everywhere are so strong that on the way home, on the streetcar, there was a clear space around me, as nobody could stand the smell.....

I had no idea they had a tannery in TO, I’ve always bought direct from PA in the US.
I can’t imagine that smell. Ha.

Wow that’s amazing! I have no idea what I would do with one of those knives if I had one other than cut off a bit of my index finger, but I really want one !

Thanks.

Dec 4, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #471 of 1,861
I had no idea they had a tannery in TO, I’ve always bought direct from PA in the US.
I can’t imagine that smell. Ha.

Thanks.
The smell was like a force field that repelled everybody away! The tannery in Toronto was a long time ago, and has been closed for many, many years now. It was at a time when the area (next to the Don Valley, S of Dundas St.) was considered an industrial area. It's really the wrong kind of business for within the city, and was in a very central area. Would be forced to relocate sooner or later by the City government.

Dec 6, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #472 of 1,861
My treasures.
A really honor for me having this collection, and growing.
IMG_20221206_133034.jpg

Dec 6, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #473 of 1,861
Dec 6, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #474 of 1,861
Wow, TGXear has a new case for ripples now

Yeah, it's an excellent case too (see pics below). Very well built, although for transport I still choose a harder Pelican-like case.

Back again...this time with the Ripples! Before I move onto my impressions of the sound I just want to take a moment to appreciate the how well presented the Ripples is. The new TGXEar case is a hardshell case with a quality zipper and it's just the right size to fit the buds and a DAC/Amp dongle. From the sleek black packaging, to the earbuds themselves with their smokey grey shell and metallic-styled accessories / cabling...it all feels really professional and cohesive.

Initial Impressions

The Ripples is an eye-opener...and I hate to sound cliché but, "you'll hear things in your music you never knew were there!". It is a detail behemoth, and revealing of what I feel to be 'true' detail and not simply a run-of-the-mill driver artifically enhancing 'perceived' detail with a high frequency tilt. It's closer to a neutral tonality than the Serratus and much closer to neutral than the Alpha. There is very little 'colouration' of note (apart from that introduced by the source/chain). The midrange is exceptionally clear with good noteweight and a well extended treble region that remains very smooth and very revealing. What sets this driver/set apart is how dynamic it is. It can express dynamic contrast and swings in volume and energy like no other bud I've heard and therefore, despite the neutral tuning, it comes across as highly musical and engaging. It grabs your attention and pulls you into a deeply nuanced replay of your favourites that's full of emotion and character. It's bass is not flat and it certainly isn't 'fluffy' - it's solid, textured and expressive. Vocals are spotlessly clean, balanced and human. The soundstage isn't as wide, nor instruments as well separated as the Alpha or Serratus but it's never congested.

I think the Ripples is placing itself between the Serratus and the Alpha as a 'closer-to-neutral', yet vividly natural set. The Serratus, brighter and more incisive, the Alpha, warmer and more romantic and the Ripples tonally neutral, yet arguably more energetic and life-like in how it conveys things.

I can't wait to share what I hear in a proper review. Well done @tgx78, I think this could be your best yet.

My review for the Ripples is in progress but let's just say the Alpha will be here to stay. I love the Ripples for hip hop/pop/electronic/rock genres but Alpha is still the king of timbre and is the one to chose for jazz/orchestral/folk. There's just something very special and authentic in its behaviour and tonality. I think I hear greater note transparency that reveals things with more subtlety and it offers a more natural note decay. I'm being really picky here and the Ripples remains the more versatile and dynamic sounding by a long stretch and it's timbre is still very good.

Have you tried them on a Hybrid-tube or OTL amp?

Serratus on OTL (Valhalla 2) is excellent. Going to desktop from a DAP it improves from a technical perspective and in terms of macrodynamics. My feelings remain the same regarding power, that the Alpha and Serratus are best seen as desktop earbuds. They can be used on-the-go from a DAP or a good dongle but I still think you're only seeing around 70% of the drivers potential. Everything is much more controlled, dynamic and revealing when there's no shortage of power. Regarding the Ripples, it's one I can enjoy from a dongle/DAP and I don't feel it's being bottlenecked to the point that I wish I was at the desk. However, if anyone has the chance to hook their Ripples up to a desktop amp I would still encourage it. It scales with a not-so-insignificant expansion in stage and instrument separation.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #476 of 1,861
So took the delivery of my red serratus and tantalus today and gave it an hour of listen for both using btr7.

I was afraid how an earbud would fit me, but surprisingly these sit snuck at my ears better than any iem I have had!

So while listening , I was like..what is happening here, why do these sound as good as my TOTL iems I had?! Listening to Anouar Brahem or few OSTs from The Woman King on serratus gave me goosebumps. I'll spare the impressions of these, I suck at it anyway, but to me, these are the best purchases I have made all year around, can't wait for the Ripples to land.

Also both sound pretty darn good from btr7, but I'll see how it scales with the H7 hopefully next week.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #477 of 1,861
Does anyone find the timbre in iems sound a bit artificial or digital so to speak compared to the tgx earbuds?

I was doing some A/B with serratus, tantalus and Softears Turri Ti (single DD) for an hour now back to back switching between middle of songs and everytime I came to Turri Ti, it seemed to have a sheen to it, especially on the mids. When coming to the earbuds, especially Serratus, the music sounds much more natural. Takes a while for the brain to adjust for me to listen to Turri back to back.

I have the mentor and h7 coming next week, I'll compare those as well but so far I strongly prefer the natural presentation of the earbuds.

Dec 11, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #478 of 1,861
Also both sound pretty darn good from btr7, but I'll see how it scales with the H7 hopefully next week.

Looking forward for your H7 impression. That seems like an interesting piece of hardware.

Does anyone find the timbre in iems sound a bit artificial or digital so to speak compared to the tgx earbuds?

I don’t think it is generalisable and more artefact of frequency response tuning. Single DD IEMs that do not try to overplay their treble “clarity” can sound as natural and realistic as anything else. Planar or BA? Now we are talking :beyersmile:

Dec 11, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #479 of 1,861
Looking forward for your H7 impression. That seems like an interesting piece of hardware.

I don’t think it is generalisable and more artefact of frequency response tuning. Single DD IEMs that do not try to overplay their treble “clarity” can sound as natural and realistic as anything else. Planar or BA? Now we are talking :beyersmile:
Yes that's what I thought when comparing Turii which is a single driver iem but even that sounded a little digital which surprised me. Let's see how the mentor stacks up against these.

Dec 11, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #480 of 1,861
So I have just A/B Serratus against my HD560s. The soundstage does match in terms of size, but Serratus has a bit more depth. The lack of clamp force on my head makes Serratus more “open” as well. Serratus is also more resolving. Well-tuned high-impedance earbuds are so underrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back