Testing audiophile claims and myths
Sep 9, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #15,796 of 17,336
So you're basically tweaking it until you like it... That isn't what I do. For my speaker system, I calibrated my system flat using a calibration mic, then I adjusted EQ by ear over a period of a couple of months, listening to a wide range of music and movies until I was happy with it. Then I noted the difference between my calibrated flat curve and my "by ear" curve and I use that as a correction to the curve. For headphones I did something similar. I took published measurements of my cans, applied correction to bring them in line with Harman, and then applied a very minor personal correction to that.

I can take a speaker system that measures flat, or a set of cans calibrated to Harman and get it to my personal preference in a few minutes without voiding my warranties. That is a lot more precise and repeatable than the way you're doing it.

It also helps to buy IEMs or headphones that are close to your personal target curve rather than to buy ones that are off and try to kludge them.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #15,797 of 17,336
You are misunderstanding. Im not tweaking until I get something that sounds good. I have specific targets:
Pinna gain needs to be between 2.5k and 2.8k and about 6-8db in gain vs 1k. Bass slope should be about 2-3dub under pinna. Entire FR should slope downwards for good volume scaling (fletcher muchen). I don't see why you are intent making me sound like some idiot. I've spent my life in audio and decided to make IEMs that sound good.

As far as taking a kludge and making them good. How exactly do you think IEMs are tuned? Im working with a shell in a specific shape and format and I go from there. I know some generalities in terms of how to actually tune but each driver (for example planar vs DD) requires different tuning methods.

It's quite impossible to tune IEMs to flat, everyone is different. I compare to my studio system and thats the best I can do.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #15,798 of 17,336
How fine of an adjustment can you make in Q and dB. I can make pinpoint adjustments down to .5 dB.

Sep 10, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #15,800 of 17,336
Very fine my friend. You can't hear .5db anyways. As you know.
In a casual listening of the IEM. Because with a direct switch and 0.5dB somewhere in the midrange, sure we can.

Sep 10, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #15,801 of 17,336
It’s pretty small. Close enough for government work for EQing.

Sep 10, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #15,802 of 17,336
Lol.
In a casual listening of the IEM. Because with a direct switch and 0.5dB somewhere in the midrange, sure we can.
.5 is pushing it. I can definitely hear say +1 in both treble and bass. When you create more contrast it's defintitely easier to hear. For Mids (high mids I suppose) around 2.5k I can't hear small changes as much which is odd. Maybe it's IEMs vs Headphone/Speakers.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #15,803 of 17,336
It's cool dear audiophile, nobody's going to think you are soft just because you use EQ. :p I was watching some old episodes and I felt like I should send this, again.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #15,804 of 17,336
Proper application of EQ can make the biggest impact on the quality of sound of all tweaks. Professionals use EQ. Audio fans should too.

Sep 15, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #15,806 of 17,336
There’s a process. In a nutshell, you start with a calibration mic and calibration app. Once you achieve a basically flat response, then you systematically make tiny adjustments while you listen to a variety of recordings to bring it in to your personal target curve.

It isn’t plug and play. It requires careful listening, analysis and systematic adjustments. But it can do more to improve the sound of your system than any other tweak. It can also make midrange transducers sound about as good as better ones.

Sep 15, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #15,808 of 17,336
What do you mean? You buy equipment that is close to ideal, then you EQ it to being absolutely perfect. EQ is one of those things where you don’t know how much you need it until you’ve got it.

I can explain in more detail if you’re interested.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #15,809 of 17,336
It is all about energy. If you tweak a narrow band then 1dB is hard to hear, also dependent on where it falls in the ears' sensitive range. It you alter a very wide band then we are really sensitive. I recall a paper where they proved that the RIAA curve needs 0.1dB accuracy in the midrange poles and zeros of the EQ, because a tiny error leads to octaves of energy being higher or lower than the other section.

Sep 16, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #15,810 of 17,336
Too much is never enough in Sound Science.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back