Testing audiophile claims and myths
Apr 4, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #15,211 of 17,336
This place is becoming really strange. Of course this isn't peer reviewed science, but that doesn't mean discussion here can't be more fact/science -based than on a board where people share their subjective feelings-based opinions about snake oil cables and what not.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #15,212 of 17,336
This place is becoming really strange. Of course this isn't peer reviewed science, but that doesn't mean discussion here can't be more fact/science -based than on a board where people share their subjective feelings-based opinions about snake oil cables and what not.
Make it so number one

Apr 4, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #15,213 of 17,336
You grab on harder than I’m willing to.
You say that but then in almost the very next sentence, there you are, grabbing on hard yet again ...
It would be really nice if you could stay focused on practical and useful info.
Practical and useful info for whom? You and your personal home stereo or anyone who may visit and read what's been posted? If it's the latter, who gets to decide what's practical or useful for anyone/everyone? It's not me and it's not you, so I'll carry on providing all the relevant info (as far as I'm able) and let the reader decide what's useful for them!
[1] Wow, so even though there are many accepted sciences in physics, computer science, anthropology, comparative anatomy, neurology, political science, economics, geology, etc....the only "real" ones are for human medicine or economical? ... [2] I don't really view this forum as "science" because it's not a peer reviewed science source.
1. I'm not really sure that's what he meant. Research funding is certainly channelled according to potential economic returns, even in medicine that saves lives, there's more research in areas that are more common than in rare deceases that kill but you're a medical professional and would know better than me. In the case of audio, there's been massive amounts of research because of the economic returns, not so much of audio products per se but because audio is part of telecoms and therefore is also an issue of national security. Much/Most of what we have in the audio world was invented for the telecoms industry, often many decades ago, so it can be difficult to locate today because the company may have published it themselves, published in various scientific journals or used international bodies (ITU, EBU, etc.) and those documents are often deprecated.
2. It's a public sound science discussion forum, not a peer reviewed scientific publication forum.
However, I have heard string instruments well replayed often on great systems. The same with steel guitars and others, almost like they're in the room.

Now brass, that's tougher. Only once have I heard a trumpet hanging in mid air, with a quality of realism that astounded.
Brass is typically harder because the sound we're used to is generally more reliant on reflections. I have heard recordings and reproductions that are indistinguishable, however, that's in commercial studios with great monitoring environments. There was a published DBT study done some years ago, can't remember where now and don't have the time to look it up but it has been linked to in this subforum previously. Musicians and speakers behind a screen in a concert hall, test subjects trying to differentiate between them, results no better than random chance.

G

Apr 6, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #15,214 of 17,336
Reflections are a huge part of sound in concert halls. Back in the early days of recording, Edison sponsored "Tone Tests" where they put a singer and a diamond disk phonograph on stage, turned off the lights and the singer started singing. At some point the singer would exit in the dark and the lights would come up revealing the phonograph finishing the song.

Apr 11, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #15,215 of 17,336
You say that but then in almost the very next sentence, there you are, grabbing on hard yet again ...

Practical and useful info for whom? You and your personal home stereo or anyone who may visit and read what's been posted? If it's the latter, who gets to decide what's practical or useful for anyone/everyone? It's not me and it's not you, so I'll carry on providing all the relevant info (as far as I'm able) and let the reader decide what's useful for them!

1. I'm not really sure that's what he meant. Research funding is certainly channelled according to potential economic returns, even in medicine that saves lives, there's more research in areas that are more common than in rare deceases that kill but you're a medical professional and would know better than me. In the case of audio, there's been massive amounts of research because of the economic returns, not so much of audio products per se but because audio is part of telecoms and therefore is also an issue of national security. Much/Most of what we have in the audio world was invented for the telecoms industry, often many decades ago, so it can be difficult to locate today because the company may have published it themselves, published in various scientific journals or used international bodies (ITU, EBU, etc.) and those documents are often deprecated.
2. It's a public sound science discussion forum, not a peer reviewed scientific publication forum.

Brass is typically harder because the sound we're used to is generally more reliant on reflections. I have heard recordings and reproductions that are indistinguishable, however, that's in commercial studios with great monitoring environments. There was a published DBT study done some years ago, can't remember where now and don't have the time to look it up but it has been linked to in this subforum previously. Musicians and speakers behind a screen in a concert hall, test subjects trying to differentiate between them, results no better than random chance.

G
Gregorio do you feel cables matter at all? I read a few of your responses and you always give such a strong response.

Let me go first, I myself found the cable making the most difference to be the headphone or IEM cable.

Second for me it would be the IC, and then I would lump USB and power together.

Admittedly I do not spend crazy amounts of money on cables and I do agree they are in the land of heavy diminishing returns, but I do enjoy having at least some "decent" cables.

Apr 11, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #15,216 of 17,336
Gregorio do you feel cables matter at all?
Sure, good quality counts for me personally, because in a professional environment cables can take a bit of a beating and you can’t afford a failure if they’re running behind walls. The difference between me (+ others in pro-audio) and much of the audiophile communìty is that good quality doesn’t actually cost much. Neutrik connectors are about $3, cable also just a few bucks a metre, there’s no performance benefit paying more than that. Some of my cables are fairly expensive but that’s because they’re quite long runs of multi-core (16x3, 25 D-Sub, for example).

Headphone and IEM cable can make a bit of difference as far as comfort is concerned. The rest is just appearance and snake oil, with a huge mark-up. There isn’t even a diminishing return.

G

May 26, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #15,217 of 17,336
Recently found this video:

Apologies if it has already been discussed before, but I still have a few questions.

Now, a disclaimer, after learning about null testing, I am confident a passive cable, regardless of marketing, sounds the same as any other cheap cable with the same physical specs in terms of length and girth. In other words capacitance and resistance, and most cases these difference are too small to matter even if it is measurable, so cables sounds the same.

The video is ABing between 2 cables, $120 and $4800. The AB testing done in this video by Jay yielded mostly random results, insignificant as he says, so we can ignore those, but in his testing, he guessed correctly which one is which 9 times in a row, which is very impressive (14 minute mark). My calculation for the probability of that happening per chance is 1/512, or 0.1953%.

Which begs the question, was he just lucky or do the cables actually have a difference.
Now, I did not see him mention anywhere the specs of the expensive cable, e.g. if it is passive or active and its size. Secondly, the AB testing he is doing here with guaranteed switching can and will induce a bias in which the listener will be forced to find a difference since he knows it has been switched for certain.

Can someone help me out here? My guess is that he used an active cable.

Last edited:
May 26, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #15,218 of 17,336

Apologies if it has already been discussed before, but I still have a few questions.

Now, a disclaimer, after learning about null testing, I am confident a passive cable, regardless of marketing, sounds the same as any other cheap cable with the same physical specs in terms of length and girth. In other words capacitance and resistance, and most cases these difference are too small to matter even if it is measurable, so cables sounds the same.

The video is ABing between 2 cables, $120 and $4800. The AB testing done in this video by Jay yielded mostly random results, insignificant as he says, so we can ignore those, but in his testing, he guessed correctly which one is which 9 times in a row, which is very impressive (14 minute mark). My calculation for the probability of that happening per chance is 1/512, or 0.1953%.

Which begs the question, was he just lucky or do the cables actually have a difference.
Now, I did not see him mention anywhere the specs of the expensive cable, e.g. if it is passive or active and its size. Secondly, the AB testing he is doing here with guaranteed switching can and will induce a bias in which the listener will be forced to find a difference since he knows it has been switched for certain.

The likelihood he'd guess 9 out of 9 is lower than what he did, which was guess 9 out of 10 right.
If the test was completely blind and he couldn't tell the difference, the odds of him guessing 9 out of 10 is a bit higher at 1.074 %.
I could see his ears weren't plugged. Maybe he could tell by the unplugging/replugging sounds?

I was playing one of the Zelda games and there's this minigame where you have to guess the correct box out of 2 five times in a row. I did it on my first try, not knowing I was supposed to cheat with a certain item to tell me which was correct. The odds of getting 5/5 is only around 3.1 %.

Last edited:
May 26, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #15,219 of 17,336
The likelihood he'd guess 9 out of 9 is lower than what he did, which was guess 9 out of 10 right.
If the test was completely blind and he couldn't tell the difference, the odds of him guessing 9 out of 10 is a bit higher at 1.074 %.
I could see his ears weren't plugged. Maybe he could tell by the unplugging/replugging sounds?
Now now, we should have good faith for him not cheating with this in between plugging sound.

Perhaps I missed something on that rag written with his results. Are there 10 trials? Will need to recheck. My math on probability is also shaky, time to ask on stack about how 9/10 tries yield a higher possibility then 9/9.

But indeed we might have to resort to him cheating if the info on the expensive cable is not provided.

May 26, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #15,220 of 17,336

First let me admit that I sort of skimmed the video.... I did watch all of it... but not all carefully.

First - I agree with you entirely - there is no reason for "a more expensive cable" to be able to do ANYTHING better than a cheap cable in terms of actually transmitting the signal to the speaker. There may be a few amplifiers out there that are very sensitive to RF interference picked up by the speaker cables - in which case a shielded speaker cable might help. But there are also a few amplifiers that are sensitive to capacitance - and those few may have problems with the extra capacitance in a shielded cable. It is worth mentioning that some expensive cables DO have really odd electrical characteristics which may cause some amplifiers to act oddly... and could cause the audio to sound different... but, if so, they are ALTERING THE SIGNAL, and not "carrying it better".

Also, as far as I know, there is no such thing as an "active speaker cable". (Putting a DC bias on the insulation, or an outer shield, serves no technical purpose at audio frequencies, and does NOT make the cable itself "active".)

Second - If ANYONE heard ANY difference in an online test then it was due to something external. Just look at the signal path: Original amplifier, to speaker cable, to speaker, to microphone, to analog-to-digital converter, to a digital file, to playing that file back on a DAC, going to an amplifier, going to another speaker cable, going to another speaker. There are MANY places in that signal path that are almost certain to produce differences far more significant than those we're testing for... so, even if there was some real subtle difference in that original speaker cable, it would be entirely obscured by those other differences. (To put that differently any difference in the original speaker cables would have to be huge to make it through all that other gear.)

Now... there are lots of ways in which people can be biased to prefer one thing over another when there is no actual difference. There are obvious things, like hearing switching noises, or the tone of voice of the person asking the questions, or waiting to see what others pick. There are also more subtle things like the order in which things are listed. In taste tests of foods people will often consistently choose "the brighter one", or "the one on the right", or the first one they taste. With music, we tend to hear more details after hearing a track multiple times, which may make later runs sound better or worse (depending on whether we notice more good details or more flaws).

And, finally, they did mention that they are using Class-D amplifiers. As a broad generalization Class D amplifiers tend to be more sensitive to the electrical characteristics of their load, which includes the speaker cables. Therefore it is not impossible that a Class-D amp might sound different with speaker cables having different capacitance. Note that this would NOT mean that one was better, and it would simply be random what sort of difference would be heard with different amplifiers and different cables.

I also didn't really look at his methodology....

For example, even though he didn't tell the listeners which was which, did he say "here's cable A" and now "here's cable B"?

The proper way to do this is to have each listener listen to a whole bunch of trials...
Not knowing which cable they are listening to each time...
And not specifically switching each time (each trial is independently random)
Have them write down their results...
Then tally them later...

This avoids certain known problematic psychological effects.....
For example, even if I don't know which cable it is, once I say "I think that Cable #1 has a wider sound stage" ....
I am biased to actually HEAR a wider sound stage the next time I listen to Cable #1 ...
(And that effect is magnified if I say so - to other people - and especially if I say it out loud - to people I know.)
The way to avoid this is to have me listen to 20 trials - not tell me which cable I'm hearing each time - and tally the results.
And do the same with the other test subjects.
(I should also be instructed to write down my results - and NOT share them with the other listeners - until done.)
(In fact - we should be isolated- so we cannot see each other smile or frown during a particular trial.)

In short his test seemed quite informal....
(Which he did admit several times.)

May 26, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #15,221 of 17,336
First let me admit that I sort of skimmed the video.... I did watch all of it... but not all carefully.

First - I agree with you entirely - there is no reason for "a more expensive cable" to be able to do ANYTHING better than a cheap cable in terms of actually transmitting the signal to the speaker. There may be a few amplifiers out there that are very sensitive to RF interference picked up by the speaker cables - in which case a shielded speaker cable might help. But there are also a few amplifiers that are sensitive to capacitance - and those few may have problems with the extra capacitance in a shielded cable. It is worth mentioning that some expensive cables DO have really odd electrical characteristics which may cause some amplifiers to act oddly... and could cause the audio to sound different... but, if so, they are ALTERING THE SIGNAL, and not "carrying it better".

Also, as far as I know, there is no such thing as an "active speaker cable". (Putting a DC bias on the insulation, or an outer shield, serves no technical purpose at audio frequencies, and does NOT make the cable itself "active".)

Second - If ANYONE heard ANY difference in an online test then it was due to something external. Just look at the signal path: Original amplifier, to speaker cable, to speaker, to microphone, to analog-to-digital converter, to a digital file, to playing that file back on a DAC, going to an amplifier, going to another speaker cable, going to another speaker. There are MANY places in that signal path that are almost certain to produce differences far more significant than those we're testing for... so, even if there was some real subtle difference in that original speaker cable, it would be entirely obscured by those other differences. (To put that differently any difference in the original speaker cables would have to be huge to make it through all that other gear.)

Now... there are lots of ways in which people can be biased to prefer one thing over another when there is no actual difference. There are obvious things, like hearing switching noises, or the tone of voice of the person asking the questions, or waiting to see what others pick. There are also more subtle things like the order in which things are listed. In taste tests of foods people will often consistently choose "the brighter one", or "the one on the right", or the first one they taste. With music, we tend to hear more details after hearing a track multiple times, which may make later runs sound better or worse (depending on whether we notice more good details or more flaws).

And, finally, they did mention that they are using Class-D amplifiers. As a broad generalization Class D amplifiers tend to be more sensitive to the electrical characteristics of their load, which includes the speaker cables. Therefore it is not impossible that a Class-D amp might sound different with speaker cables having different capacitance. Note that this would NOT mean that one was better, and it would simply be random what sort of difference would be heard with different amplifiers and different cables.

I also didn't really look at his methodology....

For example, even though he didn't tell the listeners which was which, did he say "here's cable A" and now "here's cable B"?

The proper way to do this is to have each listener listen to a whole bunch of trials...
Not knowing which cable they are listening to each time...
And not specifically switching each time (each trial is independently random)
Have them write down their results...
Then tally them later...

This avoids certain known problematic psychological effects.....
For example, even if I don't know which cable it is, once I say "I think that Cable #1 has a wider sound stage" ....
I am biased to actually HEAR a wider sound stage the next time I listen to Cable #1 ...
(And that effect is magnified if I say so - to other people - and especially if I say it out loud - to people I know.)
The way to avoid this is to have me listen to 20 trials - not tell me which cable I'm hearing each time - and tally the results.
And do the same with the other test subjects.
(I should also be instructed to write down my results - and NOT share them with the other listeners - until done.)
(In fact - we should be isolated- so we cannot see each other smile or frown during a particular trial.)

In short his test seemed quite informal....
(Which he did admit several times.)
By active cabling I mean there are some tweaks to the cables in which might alter the signal, but since he didn’t tell us what expensive cable he used, we can never know about that. Which is in turn the biggest flaw of this test, not recording the variables!

While like you said, a class D might be more sensitive, the difference does not mean one cable is better than the other, and I doubt those differences are audible anyways. Just turning up the volume should make a bigger difference than the cable.

So like you said, his comment about soundstage is most likely influenced by previous comments. Yet what I am curious about is not his comments, but the objective test results of 9/10 guesses being correct. I do not think the elements you mentioned above, which are good points, has enough effect to produce this result.

Last edited:
May 26, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #15,222 of 17,336
There are a ton of blind studies that have hilarious results, like the test between a high end audio cable and a coat hanger that no one could pass or the guy who promised a $10,000 prize to anyone who could identify which amplifier was playing 12/12 times (a few thousand audiophiles have taken the test and failed).

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/testing-audiophile-claims-and-myths.486598/

A good one is the "legendary study that embarrassed wine experts" where a guy had 54 wine tasting students taste test a red and white wine. A week later he took the same white wine and dyed half of it red with tasteless food coloring. The students then described the dyed white wine the same as they did the red wine a week earlier, which was completely different than how they described the undyed white.

https://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/08/the_most_infamous_study_on_wine_tasting.html

So...the tastes that wine experts are tasting are mostly based on the color of the wine, not the actual taste. A similar thing to tasting also happens with hearing.

Last edited:
May 26, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #15,223 of 17,336
Well cables do actually have a measurable difference, the problem we have is that those differences are typically 1,000-100,000 times below audibility, so not even close to audible. This of course assumes the same basic length, gauge, etc. I didn’t watch the whole vid but I assume these basic specs were the same?

There’s clearly some problems with their methodology and they admit some of them. It really needs to be a double blind test or better still, avoid all those related potential issues by doing an ABX. Just being lucky is of course a possibility but I’d put my money on a methodology fault. I’m sure Ethan Winer would have helped them out with an ABX switch if they’d asked.

G

May 26, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #15,224 of 17,336
Well cables do actually have a measurable difference, the problem we have is that those differences are typically 1,000-100,000 times below audibility, so not even close to audible. This of course assumes the same basic length, gauge, etc. I didn’t watch the whole vid but I assume these basic specs were the same?

There’s clearly some problems with their methodology and they admit some of them. It really needs to be a double blind test or better still, avoid all those related potential issues by doing an ABX. Just being lucky is of course a possibility but I’d put my money on a methodology fault. I’m sure Ethan Winer would have helped them out with an ABX switch if they’d asked.

G
All of the problems in their method probably caused this 9 in a row hit.

Though an ABX switch for cables blind testing would be more expensive, since you will need two sets of cables, amp to switch, switch to speakers, increasing the budget for their choice of a $4800 cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back