Testing audiophile claims and myths
Apr 3, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #15,196 of 17,336
I’m saying that this forum was intended to be exactly the same as the all of the rest of Head-Fi except you are allowed to mention blind testing, placebo and bias.
Exactly my point! You’re saying this forum was incorrectly named, it’s not a forum for the discussion of Sound Science. It’s a forum the same as the others, based on subjective opinion and audiophile marketing. The only difference is that we’re allowed to mention science in this forum, though apparently not discuss it, if you’re not interested in it.

Most of the threads here, including this one, therefore need to be deleted then?

G

Apr 3, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #15,197 of 17,336
I can't deny:
the same as the all of the rest of Head-Fi except you are allowed to mention blind testing, placebo and bias.
There is no actual requirement to demonstrate anything or stick to the available facts when claiming something. The only rules are about marketing, some(IMO) fairly American political correctness, and staying on topic. All things that, as you know, I mostly fail to enforce.

Go crazy, discuss stuff.

Apr 3, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #15,199 of 17,336
Feel free to talk about all kinds of things that are irrelevant to the subject of home audio. March about and complain that people here “aren’t scientific enough”. I can ignore you, just like that guy a few posts back who was talking about irrelevant stuff and accusing you of not being scientific enough. It’s a shame, because if you weren’t so focused on yourself and if you made an effort to understand what the people you’re interacting with are saying, you could be a very helpful asset to this group. You certainly wouldn’t expend so much energy tilting at windmills.

I guess it’s pretty typical of the type of people who make up a big chunk of the population of Internet forums though. Lack of empathy and poor communication skills are common.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #15,200 of 17,336
Feel free to talk about all kinds of things that are irrelevant to the subject of home audio. March about and complain that people here “aren’t scientific enough”. I can ignore you, just like that guy a few posts back who was talking about irrelevant stuff and accusing you of not being scientific enough. It’s a shame, because if you weren’t so focused on yourself and if you made an effort to understand what the people you’re interacting with are saying, you could be a very helpful asset to this group. You certainly wouldn’t expend so much energy tilting at windmills.

I guess it’s pretty typical of the type of people who make up a big chunk of the population of Internet forums though. Lack of empathy and poor communication skills are common.

Highlighted for the irony.

You seem far more concerned with confirmation of your personal audio opinions than any actually science.

Apr 3, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #15,201 of 17,336
Feel free to talk about all kinds of things that are irrelevant to the subject of home audio.
What things that are irrelevant to the subject of home audio? Castleofargh said we could discuss stuff, not restricted to only home audio and so I will feel free to talk about things you’re apparently not interested in, despite you trying to discourage that freedom!
March about and complain that people here “aren’t scientific enough”. I can ignore you
Then why don’t you? If you’re not interested then ignore it … But you don’t, you march about and complain that people are too scientific and post relevant facts that you’re not interested in!!!

G

Apr 3, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #15,202 of 17,336
Trying to be brief and not personal (acceprting the clear fact that there is no science here, just more scientific-like opinions and quasi-scientific long essays).

The really great aspect of this forum is that wise moderation/moderators made possie such diverse opinions and personalities coexist :)

Now, a subjective opinion/thought, in a spirit of cherished discussions (or my limited understandings thereof): if I ever plan to get a home audio system (not very likely), my ultimare test would be a comparison of live violin performance in this space (good exerpts from solo Bach and Vivaldi seasons would perfectly do) with the recording of this very performance in this very room and reproduced there.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #15,203 of 17,336
Trying to be brief and not personal (acceprting the clear fact that there is no science here, just more scientific-like opinions and quasi-scientific long essays).

The really great aspect of this forum is that wise moderation/moderators made possie such diverse opinions and personalities coexist :)

Now, a subjective opinion/thought, in a spirit of cherished discussions (or my limited understandings thereof): if I ever plan to get a home audio system (not very likely), my ultimare test would be a comparison of live violin performance in this space (good exerpts from solo Bach and Vivaldi seasons would perfectly do) with the recording of this very performance in this very room and reproduced there.

There is a great deal of science and scientific method here.

That you choose to ignore it or don't have the background to understand it doesn't change that.

Apr 3, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #15,204 of 17,336
There is a great deal of science and scientific method here.

That you choose to ignore it or don't have the background to understand it doesn't change that.
Providing proper scientific reference has been refused in writing.

As well, no useful answers to my direct questions (at least three times).
I perfectly accept that "no one is under any obligation" to answer my questions, but then the tone of the pretense of being helpfully scientific or scientifically helpful may need to go down a bit...

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #15,205 of 17,336
Providing proper scientific reference has been refused in writing.

Then no useful answers to my direct questions (at least three times).
I perfectly accept that "no one is under any obligation" to answer my questions, but than the tone of the pretense of being helpfully scientific or scientifically helpful may need to go down a bit...

What has been refused in writing is doing your research for you. No one has any obligation to explain a link posted in response to one of your crackpot theories. Bring something interesting/possible to the discussion and you’ll get better responses.

Apr 3, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #15,206 of 17,336
You guys have fun with it. You grab on harder than I’m willing to. I’ll just keep on doing it my way. It would be really nice if you could stay focused on practical and useful info. You’ve both got a lot to offer. But you spar with the trolls so much, I guess everybody seems like a troll to you. I don’t see any reason to fight.

Apr 3, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #15,207 of 17,336

That is an interesting test. There is a raft of detail to get into regarding micing up the performer, which I know my limitations on, and will not get into.

However, I have heard string instruments well replayed often on great systems. The same with steel guitars and others, almost like they're in the room.

Now brass, that's tougher. Only once have I heard a trumpet hanging in mid air, with a quality of realism that astounded. Piano, never.

Apr 3, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #15,208 of 17,336

I worked for a speaker company who set up a cellist between a pair of their premier speakers behind a curtain and sat a professor of musicology in front who testified he could not pick the difference on a national tv program . Great marketing but it didn't really prove anything

Real scientific research is generally reserved for important questions that save lives or drive economies . Much of what we discuss isn't very important so to get to real science we need to distil things down which then becomes dry and technical requiring strong background knowledge to avoid misinterpreting

Apr 4, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #15,209 of 17,336
Real scientific research is generally reserved for important questions that save lives or drive economies . Much of what we discuss isn't very important so to get to real science we need to distil things down which then becomes dry and technical requiring strong background knowledge to avoid misinterpreting

Wow, so even though there are many accepted sciences in physics, computer science, anthropology, comparative anatomy, neurology, political science, economics, geology, etc....the only "real" ones are for human medicine or economical? Today I watched Moonfall: it's an entertaining movie...but you really have to turn your brain off when it comes to anything based in reality: especially concepts in physics. I don't really view this forum as "science" because it's not a peer reviewed science source. We get folks that are sensational and are pseudoscience, and then we have folks that try to be authoritative from their backgrounds in something more audio (whether pro audio or being an authority on this forum). I'm experienced within the medical realm: articles are submitted through different sources, but get more traction through continued relevance and citations.

Apr 4, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #15,210 of 17,336
Wow, so even though there are many accepted sciences in physics, computer science, anthropology, comparative anatomy, neurology, political science, economics, geology, etc....the only "real" ones are for human medicine or economical? Today I watched Moonfall: it's an entertaining movie...but you really have to turn your brain off when it comes to anything based in reality: especially concepts in physics. I don't really view this forum as "science" because it's not a peer reviewed science source. We get folks that are sensational and are pseudoscience, and then we have folks that try to be authoritative from their backgrounds in something more audio (whether pro audio or being an authority on this forum). I'm experienced within the medical realm: articles are submitted through different sources, but get more traction through continued relevance and citations.
Any forum is a reflection of its contributors the title is only an ambition
Expecting formal science because the sub heading includes the word science would be unrealistic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back