Tempotec V3 DAP - small, powerful, functional with Hiby OS
Dec 28, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #46 of 655
My copy of TempoTec V3 DAP arrived.

First impressions below. A proper review with a bunch of photos coming in a few weeks.

Build quality - great.

It’s an ergonomic, well-made piece of work. The playback buttons might’ve benefitted from a tiny bit more “clicky” feeling, but you’ll definitely know if you pressed it. Volume buttons (V3 doesn’t have a volume wheel) are slightly more tactile.

I’m not a huge fan of a glass back, especially when there is no protective case available. Okay, the front display and the back glass surface are covered with a thin film by default, but it’ll get scratched easily during everyday use.

As mentioned before: V3 runs on a HiBy OS, which I know very well from HiBy R2 II. The only difference I can spot is boot logo swap - TempoTec instead of HiBy.
How do I like HiBy OS in general? It’s okay, but not the best implementation of audio listening software. Quite specific, but functional.

Don’t be fooled by its Tidal support. Tidal requires you to confirm your sign-in every 24 hr, since it can’t save the token properly. I haven’t tested Qobuz, as it’s not available in my country.

Sound - I’ll write more about it in the review, after I spend enough time with this small brawler. To not keep you waiting: I’m happy with it and it seems to be just what I expected.

Any questions, anyone?
How does it sound compare to hiby player?
Does it sound better, worse or the same?

Dec 28, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #47 of 655
How does it sound compare to hiby player?
Does it sound better, worse or the same?

I don't think it's fair to compare V3 to HiBy R2 II.

R3 II would make more sense, but I don't have access to it.

As you could've predicted, TempoTec V3 sounds more refined and offers better stage than R2. It's not a drastic difference, but audible.

Dec 28, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #48 of 655
Don’t be fooled by its Tidal support. Tidal requires you to confirm your sign-in every 24 hr, since it can’t save the token properly. I haven’t tested Qobuz, as it’s not available in my country.

As does the tidal app in the R3 ii

Dec 28, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #49 of 655
Thanks.
I have one more question.
What is "speed play"?
I've seen this option on hiby os but no one talks about it.
Does it allow you to change the playback speed?

Dec 28, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #51 of 655
Any questions, anyone?

1.) If you have any IEMs with cables that have play/pause, next/previous track, playback controls, could you please test one with the 3.5mm phone out port?

2.) Does the v3 support a line out/phone out switching feature in software?

Thanks

Dec 28, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #52 of 655
Thanks.
I have one more question.
What is "speed play"?
Speed play lets you play a music file at a faster/slower speed like 2x or half speed. But if it's like the Hiby R3II then it only works on mp3's or alac files, I forget which ones since I don't have that many of either of those.

Dec 28, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #53 of 655
What is "speed play"?
It's exactly as you described it.

When you enable it, an additional icon appears.

DX71_R17_20231228_182931_lmc_8 copy.jpg

However, when I pressed it with the file that you see (16/44.1 FLAC) a message like this appears:

DX71_R17_20231228_182931_lmdsc_8.4 copy.jpg

It seems to work only with MP3 files. If you do have music /podcasts saved in this format, then you get this:

DX71_R17_20231228_182931ss_lmc_8.4 copy.jpg

Is USB out supported to connect to an external DAC?

Surely, it is. You can connect any dongle or a stationary DAC/AMP and the audio will go through it.

How does it pair with headphones as it has high output power?

Sadly, I don't own any headphones, since I'm an IEM / earbuds type of guy.

Having said that, it runs 500Ω TGXear Serratus via 4.4BAL like a breeze. I don't hear anything that would suggest that Serratus needs more power and I'm getting comfortable volume levels at 37/100

1.) If you have any IEMs with cables that have play/pause, next/previous track, playback controls, could you please test one with the 3.5mm phone out port?

Tested it.
Controlling playback or volume with a 3.5mm remote cable doesn't work on TempoTec V3. Neither does it on HiBy R2 II.
So, most likely - HiBy OS related.

Strangely, a USB-C cable with a remote (eg. Moondrop Free DSP) does work all right and allows to play/pause the track and control the volume.

2.) Does the v3 support a line out/phone out switching feature in software?

It does.

There is an option to switch output mode in the options.

DX71_R17_20231228_183558_lmc_8.4.jpg

DX71_R17_20231228_183551_lmc_8.4.jpg

You can also find it in the quick settings which appear when you swipe the finger down.

DX71_R17_20231228_183612_lmc_8.4.jpg

Dec 28, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #54 of 655
Mine came in early YAY!

Some quick tips for those getting one soon!

USB C out to DAC/Headphone Amp (checked my Gryphon) works perfectly!

If you are a Qobuz User and get Error 400 go into settings and set clock/time it should then work fine for you.

Tidal is still MQA version, so as someone else said it will need an update.

Build quality is very good, sound is very good, I have a busy day and was not expecting this today but just initial thoughts I am very pleased! I will try to post some pics later!

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 28, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #56 of 655
My copy of TempoTec V3 DAP arrived.

First impressions below. A proper review with a bunch of photos coming in a few weeks.

Build quality - great.

It’s an ergonomic, well-made piece of work. The playback buttons might’ve benefitted from a tiny bit more “clicky” feeling, but you’ll definitely know if you pressed it. Volume buttons (V3 doesn’t have a volume wheel) are slightly more tactile.

I’m not a huge fan of a glass back, especially when there is no protective case available. Okay, the front display and the back glass surface are covered with a thin film by default, but it’ll get scratched easily during everyday use.

As mentioned before: V3 runs on a HiBy OS, which I know very well from HiBy R2 II. The only difference I can spot is boot logo swap - TempoTec instead of HiBy.
How do I like HiBy OS in general? It’s okay, but not the best implementation of audio listening software. Quite specific, but functional.

Sound - I’ll write more about it in the review, after I spend enough time with this small brawler. To not keep you waiting: I’m happy with it and it seems to be just what I expected.

Any questions, anyone?
Thanks for your impressions--regarding confirming the sign-in to Tidal, does that mean you have to type in the whole login/pw once every 24hrs or does it retain it and you just click to sign in? And can you confirm that it has 2.4GHz and 5GHz or just 2.4?

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #57 of 655
It's exactly as you described it.

When you enable it, an additional icon appears.

DX71_R17_20231228_182931_lmc_8 copy.jpg

However, when I pressed it with the file that you see (16/44.1 FLAC) a message like this appears:

DX71_R17_20231228_182931_lmdsc_8.4 copy.jpg

It seems to work only with MP3 files. If you do have music /podcasts saved in this format, then you get this:

DX71_R17_20231228_182931ss_lmc_8.4 copy.jpg

Surely, it is. You can connect any dongle or a stationary DAC/AMP and the audio will go through it.

Sadly, I don't own any headphones, since I'm an IEM / earbuds type of guy.

Having said that, it runs 500Ω TGXear Serratus via 4.4BAL like a breeze. I don't hear anything that would suggest that Serratus needs more power and I'm getting comfortable volume levels at 37/100

Tested it.
Controlling playback or volume with a 3.5mm remote cable doesn't work on TempoTec V3. Neither does it on HiBy R2 II.
So, most likely - HiBy OS related.

Strangely, a USB-C cable with a remote (eg. Moondrop Free DSP) does work all right and allows to play/pause the track and control the volume.

It does.

There is an option to switch output mode in the options.

DX71_R17_20231228_183558_lmc_8.4.jpg

DX71_R17_20231228_183551_lmc_8.4.jpg

You can also find it in the quick settings which appear when you swipe the finger down.

DX71_R17_20231228_183612_lmc_8.4.jpg
Can you confirm if it does have Parametric EQ like change Hz, DB and Q values separately? The HiBy app on my phone does have it so I'm just wondering. Thanks

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #59 of 655
Thanks for your impressions--regarding confirming the sign-in to Tidal, does that mean you have to type in the whole login/pw once every 24hrs or does it retain it and you just click to sign in?

DAP displays a QR code that you need to scan with your phone. You confirm your credentials on the phone, via Tidal website.

And can you confirm that it has 2.4GHz and 5GHz or just 2.4?

My WiFi is both 2.4 and 5GHz and V3 doesn't show both networks - just one. There is no option in WiFi settings to check what frequency it uses.
Not sure how to troubleshoot it further.

Can you confirm if it does have Parametric EQ like change Hz, DB and Q values separately? The HiBy app on my phone does have it so I'm just wondering. Thanks

Nope, there is no PEQ.

Only MSEB mentioned earlier or a graphical EQ, which lets you scroll left-right to find all the frequencies you want.
Does +4 or -5 mean dB? We won't know..

1703792340183.png

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #60 of 655
@happyblack

Is there a setting for gapless playback? Not a deal breaker for me at this price but I have not found a setting for it inside the system. Maybe you could test yours with a Gapless album.

I am referring to Stream media, not internal files.

Cheers, and Thanks.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back