Tempotec V3 DAP - small, powerful, functional with Hiby OS
Dec 24, 2023 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 645

Alexsan

Head-Fier
Hiya, this is a general purpose thread for any thoughts, comments or to interact with fellow admirers and users of the Tempotec V3

I originally started this thread to find out more about this DAP. I have already ordered it and am waiting for delivery! 🙂
Feel free to take part in the conversation.

You can learn more on Tempotec's official website, link to new page for this DAP (Digital Audio Player) as below:
https://www.tempotec.net/products/tempotec-v3

Reviews:
Unfortunately, there are no reviews for this player yet

Impressions:
Unfortunately, there are no impressions for this player yet

YouTube:
youtu.be/s5aIWmEBxQA

Highlight Features:
  • High Grade DAC (Dual AK4493SEQ) - getting one of the high grade DAC chipset's currently on market in an affordable price range.
  • Playback upto DSD512 & PCM 32Bit/768KHz - can also act as a high quality streamer with support for highest res file output.
  • Support for both 3.5mm and balanced 4.4mm phone-out with highest power in class (330mW/32Ω/3.5mm, 610mW/32Ω/4.4mm, 2VRMS/3.5mm, 4VRMS/4.4mm)
  • Additional support for both 3.5mm and balanced 4.4mm line-out (can act as component to a stacked setup with external pre-amplifier or/ and amplifier, can act as both a portable & desktop setup).
  • Two OPA1652 are responsible for preamplification (cascades are made on field-effect transistors (FET)). Main gain stage on four OPA1688 (upper segment of the manufacturer's op-amp "SoundPlus")
  • Customized Hiby OS with stream media apps: TIDAL and Qobuz
  • Wireless: Two-way Bluetooth 5.1, 2.4GHz WiFi, HIBYLINK, AirPlay, DLNA)

My thoughts:
Tempotec V3 is good, first of all, for the operational amplifiers used in it.
Two OPA1652 are responsible for preamplification.
Here's what the manufacturer, Texas Instruments, writes about them:
The sound is accurate, with ultra-low harmonic distortion of 0.00005%, slew rate of 10 V/µs. This op amp is a representative of the "SoundPLUS" line, designed for high-end audio devices. Output signal amplitude up to 800 mV at 2 kOhm load. Load capacity up to 30 mA. Wide power range.
This is one of the few preamps on the market whose entire stages are made using field-effect transistors (FETs). This means that the sound will be smooth, melodious and melodic (this indirectly tells us the rate of increase in voltage).

The main amplification stage on OPA1688. Here's what the manufacturer writes about this family:
The OPA1688 and OPA1689 are a family of low-noise, single-supply 36V SoundPlus™ op amps capable of operating from power supplies ranging from 4.5V (±2.25V) to 36V (±18V). This latest addition to high-voltage audio op-amps, combined with OPA16xx devices, provides a wide range of bandwidth, noise and power options to meet the needs of a wide range of applications. OPA168x are available in micro packages and provide low bias, drift and quiescent current. These devices also provide high bandwidth, high slew rate, and high output current control capabilities. The dual and quad versions have the same characteristics, providing maximum design flexibility.
As you can see, the op-amps used belong to the upper segment and have proven themselves as musical op-amps with an open sound and a wide dynamic range.

I think that thanks to the use of a dual-mono layout, as well as high-quality operational amplifiers, this little DAP has all chances of becoming the best in its class.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #2 of 645
Does it say anywhere that it has a touch screen?

Dec 24, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #3 of 645
Does it say anywhere that it has a touch screen?
With 99.9% probability, no, - only physical buttons.
But with Hiby link you can easily control it from your smartphone.

Dec 24, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #4 of 645

It looks like a Zis(h)an device, but with HibyOS. Still, kind of intriguing. My Zishans have excellent hardware, but very primitive software.

Dec 24, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #5 of 645
My Zishans have excellent hardware, but very primitive software.
Considering that Hiby makes the best software on the market, and the hardware of this device is excellent for it's formfactor, then in my opinion this is an excellent combination of a portable, fast and musical player for walking. I ordered one for myself.

Dec 24, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #6 of 645
Why you so sure that it doesn't have touch screen?
And if indeed it doesn't have touch screen then how you access the menu and settings?
All the buttons I've seen are play/pause, forward, backward, volume up/down and power.

Dec 24, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #7 of 645
Why you so sure that it doesn't have touch screen?
In my experience, in this form factor, button control is more convenient than a touch screen.
Although, of course, I could be wrong 😉

Dec 24, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #8 of 645
Dec 24, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 645
It’d better be touch screen !!! It has WiFi, Tidal, Qobuz support…. Entering the SSID & everything else with a few buttons and no on-screen keyboard is… doable (alphabet & number scrolling wheel, for example) but will be a nightmarish experience !!!
And since it supports Hibylink, I am ready to bet the OS and UI are closely related to the Hiby R2 & R3… with maybe the same Ingenic chip.
Really a slightly more compact, non-Android, V6. I guess we’ll see! :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #11 of 645
Really a slightly more compact, non-Android, V6.
At the same time, the Tempotec claims that the sound of this player will be no worse than the V6

Dec 25, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #13 of 645
No way this doesn't have a touch screen. All the Tempotec players have had touch screens. This is not like a Zishan Device, probably more like a Hiby R3II
It has touch screen 100% so don't worry.
I asked the seller and he confirmed it has touch screen.

Dec 25, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #14 of 645
At the same time, the Tempotec claims that the sound of this player will be no worse than the V6
The audio section of the V3 is almost identical to the V6: same dual AK4493, 2x OPA1652 (vs. 2x OPA1612 on the V6: that’s the only difference), same 4x OPA1688 amp. They should be extremely close, if not identical, sound wise.
I own the V6, and have very little to complain about…. It is just too big for me :ksc75smile:

Dec 25, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #15 of 645
The audio section of the V3 is almost identical to the V6: same dual AK4493, 2x OPA1652 (vs. 2x OPA1612 on the V6: that’s the only difference), same 4x OPA1688 amp. They should be extremely close, if not identical, sound wise.
Especially for sound, OPA1652 is much better than OPA1612 since it is built on bipolar transistors. OPA1652 is built entirely on field-effect transistors (FET): both input and output, and all stages.
Even if FET were only at the input of the OPA1652 preamplifier, this would already give the sound musicality, smoothness and clarity. But in this case, both the input and output and all stages are built on such transistors. That is, I expect amazing sound, best in class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back