Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Jun 5, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #2,176 of 2,336
Quote:
Interesting. To me the Magnum is superior to HF-2. Where do we place PS500 then? This is a valid comparison since they kind of belong in the same family in terms of sound signature.

well, right now I’m thinking:

PS500 > Magnum v4 > HF2

But i’d be more sure of my HF2 ranking if I had one next to me. I should also point out that the PS500 to Magnum difference is pretty small. it mostly comes down to the PS500’s ability to deliver stronger bass impact without having to use flats and compress the soundstage and thicken the lower mids too much.

But, like I said, the Magnums have less glare (theres still some) on certain peaky female vocals. I don’t encounter them on many songs but when I do, the Magnums handle it better than the PS500. 

They’re both quite excellent. The PS500 is a lot easier to like compared to most Grados and the Magnum is an even more impressive technical achievement.

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #2,177 of 2,336
The Magnums feel like I could throw them off a cliff and run them over with a car and they'd be just fine.

There's something very satisfying about how robustly they are built.

I do not have HF-2s or a PS500, but the sound with the flats on my Magnums is pretty spectacular.

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #2,178 of 2,336
They're formally called shaft collars.

Link to some:
http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=16411911

Quote:
lolol

I don't think he can loose rodblocks during vacation so he must be referring to rodtips.

I don't know the name for these "screw locks", but they could work:

You could use them as rod tips, or just to lock the cups at a certain height.

I'm sure it would be easy to buy them if we knew their name.

Jun 5, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #2,181 of 2,336
Jun 6, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #2,182 of 2,336
Quote:
The Magnums feel like I could throw them off a cliff and run them over with a car and they'd be just fine.

There's something very satisfying about how robustly they are built.

For my Magnum one of the rods detached itself from the gimbal. And one of the screws on the inner cups was loose. So I don't think they're that strong. There's a difference between heavy and strong. 

Jun 6, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #2,183 of 2,336
Long time since I've been lurking here, but this thread sure woke me up and I immediately rushed over to the Symphones webpage. The order button was the first thing I saw and thought to myself.. all in?

Yes, sent an order for the full modification and got a PayPal receipt so now I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #2,184 of 2,336
Quote:
Long time since I've been lurking here, but this thread sure woke me up and I immediately rushed over to the Symphones webpage. The order button was the first thing I saw and thought to myself.. all in?

Yes, sent an order for the full modification and got a PayPal receipt so now I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Nice :)  I'm fairly certain you'll not be dissapointed; in the rare event you are I can garuntee you won't have a hard time selling them.

Prepare to fall in love :)

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #2,185 of 2,336
It was post #2136 that sort of forced my hand, the only concern are more or less if I'm just too late. I rationalize that Rhydon is not the sort of type that's unaware of his own site and the fact that one can still place an order there.

With my 325is I had one major problem as loudness these days are almost a standard, after I vented and dampend the air chamber, the enhanced dynamic contrast ruined many of my records. On the other hand this Magnum mod. seems to be more benign to this loudness war, so I'm not going to punch holes this time.

Reading up on amps it seems that Little Dot I+ are not so well suited for the Magnum, but as I've gathered SS amps with OPA209 seems to have a certain synergy.

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #2,186 of 2,336
Yes, that post was a scary one indeed...almost got me to order a second pair hahaha.  Figure I'll hold off and just enjoy what i have/no reason to bogart all the goodness :wink:
Just ordered some flats from TTVJ so hopefully they hold as much synergy with the magnums as some here claim.  (I've only ever used the standard cups w/ mine pre/post magnumization)
And on down the road there's always re-terminating the end of my cable to make them balanced, but for now I really have no desire to do anything other than listen :) 

Jun 6, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #2,187 of 2,336
One thing I'm curious about is how the Magnums somewhat small soundstage react to crossfeed... bowls have some of it, but flats have none.

Jun 6, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #2,188 of 2,336
Quote:
Yes, that post was a scary one indeed...almost got me to order a second pair hahaha.  Figure I'll hold off and just enjoy what i have/no reason to bogart all the goodness :wink:
Just ordered some flats from TTVJ so hopefully they hold as much synergy with the magnums as some here claim.  (I've only ever used the standard cups w/ mine pre/post magnumization)
And on down the road there's always re-terminating the end of my cable to make them balanced, but for now I really have no desire to do anything other than listen :) 

There is nothing scary and it is inevitable. Rhydon's time is better spent on developing his own headphones than modding existing Grados. 

Jun 6, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #2,190 of 2,336
I'd like to see something circumaural from him as that's my preferred style (i find its easier to make those comfortable for long hours), with a new driver tuned to be further from the ear. so we can get a bigger soundstage without sacrificing the intended tonality of the headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back