Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Nov 4, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #961 of 2,336
It's only 'Gradoish' in looks and soundstage. The treble has none of the Grado harshness. From the mids up it is a very clean, neutral and detailed sound. Very pleasant and engaging. Haven't heard the full-burn-in yet, but from my last listen (a few weeks ago... ), the bass was still a little too boomy for my tastes. According to reports it should settle even more.

This 'thousands of hours' burn-in business is so unusual.

Nov 4, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #962 of 2,336

Quote:
Not sure if Rythmdevils was referring to the difference between Magnum modded Grado and stock Grado, or V1 and V2. 
I am most interested in finding out how "Gradoish" the phones will be after the mod, since the drivers are not Grado drivers anymore. Hopfully I will have an answer in a few weeks' time.

I meant stock Grado vs V2 modded grado.  I was basically just curious if the enhancements are more about what I consider refinements- detail, imaging, soundstage, seperation, bass detail/texture etc.  or if the mods change the sound signature.  For example, going from an SR60 to the RS1 gives you a refinement of the same sound signature.  They are voiced the same.  But Joe Grados for example, are voiced differently- the balance of bass, mids and treble is different. 

So it sounds like the sound signature, or the way they are voiced is changed as well.  That's cool, it makes them more interesting to me than before.  Has anyone compared an HP1000 to the modded SR325?  That would be interesting.  Sorry if this was covered, maybe I missed something in this thread it's been awhile since I was looking into these.

I'll be curious to hear your thoughts PCF!

Nov 4, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #963 of 2,336

Quote:
I meant stock Grado vs V2 modded grado.  I was basically just curious if the enhancements are more about what I consider refinements- detail, imaging, soundstage, seperation, bass detail/texture etc.  or if the mods change the sound signature.  For example, going from an SR60 to the RS1 gives you a refinement of the same sound signature.  They are voiced the same.  But Joe Grados for example, are voiced differently- the balance of bass, mids and treble is different. 

So it sounds like the sound signature, or the way they are voiced is changed as well.  That's cool, it makes them more interesting to me than before.  Has anyone compared an HP1000 to the modded SR325?  That would be interesting.  Sorry if this was covered, maybe I missed something in this thread it's been awhile since I was looking into these.

I'll be curious to hear your thoughts PCF!

I am really curious too. Knowing that my two black SR325 (one with HP1000 drivers) sound like they are from different planets. Don't think anyone compared these Magnums to HP1000 yet. I will definitely do that when I get my hands on them.

Nov 4, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #964 of 2,336

Quote:
I am really curious too. Knowing that my two black SR325 (one with HP1000 drivers) sound like they are from different planets. Don't think anyone compared these Magnums to HP1000 yet. I will definitely do that when I get my hands on them.

Do you know if this next batch from Symphones is the same as driver as V2 ?

Nov 4, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #965 of 2,336

Quote:

Do you know if this next batch from Symphones is the same as driver as V2 ?

I should think so but only Rhydon can confirm that. I don't really mind either way since I haven't heard any of them. Are you here, Rhydon? :)

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #966 of 2,336
After switching to the LCD-2s as one of my primary headphones, the bass of the Magnums doesn't seem so boomy to me now, so I'm not so sure of the burn-in really making that much difference. Though if it's one's brain burning in rather than the headphones, it comes to the same thing. 
wink.gif

Nov 5, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #968 of 2,336

Quote:
If the HP1000 is the same as the HP2 then I'd reckon that it's going to sound darker. HP2 and HF2 are similar in tonality to my ears. 

To me the Magnums are completely different than HF-2's,  superior across the board.  But then again there is the bowl vs flat variable,  the HF-2's sound muddy with flats and like Senns with Bowls to my ears.  The Magnums are so dynamic and illuminating they transients sometimes pull me out of my trance like a knock on the shoulder

Nov 7, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #970 of 2,336

After being fairly convinced that the boomyness was mostly gone, I've been really digging deep to find albums and tracks where it's still a problem... a few have surfaced here and there...

But first... these are an INCREDIBLE pair of headphones for electronic music... the bass on Erlend Øye's _Unrest_ is taut, tuneful, and textural... Everything on Apex Twin's _Drukqs_ is delicious to listen to... 

But back in the pop world...

Alphonso Johnson's extremely tasty fretless work on Phil Collins' solo debut sounds quite peaky on some notes -- "I Missed Again" is a particularly bad example here, and I haven't noticed this characteristic on other setups... but on the other side of the coin, Paul S. Denman's MusicMan Stingray sounds exactly as it should on Sade's debut album... nevermind his ridiculously tasty playing!  "Cherry Pie", anybody?

Walter Becker's _Circus Money_ can still be over the top in places... the kick drum sounds great and this sounded terrible at the beginning and steadily improved, but the bass still sounds peaky here and there... but on the other hand, Mr. Becker produced a couple of China Crisis albums (well, most of _Diary of a Hollow Horse_ and all of _Flaunt the Imperfection_) and the low end on these is reference standard awesome.

David Hungate's delicious playing on MFSL's Gold CD release of Boz Scaggs' _Silk Degrees_ sounds exactly like what I'd expect given what equipment I know he used... with the V2s it really stands out that extra degree (ha ha) and goes from simply sounding great to awesome.

As for detail... despite not being as hot up top, these do seem to get me further into the nuances than I remember the V1s doing... or further than anything short of the top end electrostatic setups I've heard, for that matter... in fairness I haven't heard HD800s...

But nevermind all of this... these cause me to stay up far past my bedtime listening to music more regularly than ever before...

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #971 of 2,336
What amps are you guys using with your Magnums? I own a pico dac/amp, was wondering if that'll be good enough to drive these things. The pico sounds great with my 325is. I also own a little dot i+ which is the weaker part of my gear but it still sounds good for the price.

Nov 9, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #972 of 2,336

Quote:
What amps are you guys using with your Magnums? I own a pico dac/amp, was wondering if that'll be good enough to drive these things. The pico sounds great with my 325is. I also own a little dot i+ which is the weaker part of my gear but it still sounds good for the price.

I use the Magnums when I'm on business trips with my Pico dac/amp and it sounds great.

Nov 9, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #973 of 2,336
I use a balanced amp, resulting in a soundstage far wider than any Grado has any right to have.

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #974 of 2,336
Anyone heard from Rhydon at all? I e-mailed him as well as PM'ing him about me providing a cable, but here never responded. I sent those a month back and have sent several since then with no reply. I sent my driers back last week for repair/exchange, but he has not responded yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back