Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Aug 22, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #901 of 2,336
I've read a few mentions about the 'details' in the Magnums.

I'm listening to my GS1000i and the Magnums. 

The GS1ki has details in spades. More so than the Magnums. Cymbal splash and decay just seems better on the GS1ki. More 'real'. Ditto piano. Just sounds more natural. Bass is there and better controlled too.

The soundstaging in the GS1k is better of course. Music breathes more. And it's more comfortable. The additional aluminium on the Mangums just makes is less comfortable to listen to for extended periods. Ditto the bagels vs bowls.

Then again, these two cans are in different price brackets...

PS: The right Magnum driver slipped a little bit out from the aluminium housing. Gotta check if the nuts are properly screwed in!

Aug 22, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #902 of 2,336

Quote:
I've read a few mentions about the 'details' in the Magnums.

I'm listening to my GS1000i and the Magnums. 

The GS1ki has details in spades. More so than the Magnums. Cymbal splash and decay just seems better on the GS1ki. More 'real'. Ditto piano. Just sounds more natural. Bass is there and better controlled too.

The soundstaging in the GS1k is better of course. Music breathes more. And it's more comfortable. The additional aluminium on the Mangums just makes is less comfortable to listen to for extended periods. Ditto the bagels vs bowls.

Then again, these two cans are in different price brackets...

PS: The right Magnum driver slipped a little bit out from the aluminium housing. Gotta check if the nuts are properly screwed in!

And the pendulum inexorably starts to swing in the other direction and will ultimately settle in its right and proper place. 

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #903 of 2,336
shawn: If you're up for an experiment, put your GS1000 pads on the Magnums and compare them and let us know what you think then. I have a bit of a theory...

Aug 23, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #905 of 2,336

Quote:
shawn: If you're up for an experiment, put your GS1000 pads on the Magnums and compare them and let us know what you think then. I have a bit of a theory...

Done. I have a spare pair of bagel pads. Haven't had time to do A-B since I put these on the Magnums!

Will chime back. Listening to John Mayer's Battle Studies now and the bass is little overwhelming and kinda blooms with the pads. The cymbals sound flat. Note that Magnums only have 100+ hours on them. Will they change further when they get to the 200+ mark?

Comfort improves tremendously of course.

But I'll pick an album and do an A-B soon.

Wanna hear about this theory of yours!

Aug 23, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #908 of 2,336
I find the standard Grado pads to congest the sound a tad, possibly something to do with the drivers being so close to one's ears.  Since I recently have been listening mostly to jazz, where there are few instruments, it isn't so strongly affected and the detail comes out better.  My impression has been that the Magnums are as detailed as my HD-800s, so if the GS1000s were more detailed, then they'd have to be better than the HD-800s!  So I can't help wonder if either I'm not mis-hearing things or it has something to do with the design and tonal balance giving a different impression.  We really need Tyll to get his headphone measuring rig going again so we can see what is going on exactly.

Aug 23, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #909 of 2,336
When I find the time, I'll do a three-way shootout: GS1000i, Magnums and my Senn HD800 (cardas cable).

The music does breathe more with the bagel pads on the Magnums. Less congested as Currawong says. But I need to do a proper sit-down using the cans on the same album.

I do wish Rhydon would tell us more about these drivers. His design philosophy, his listening rig, etc.

The thing is, the GS1000 were designed with the RA1 (from memory, I could be wrong) and we all know how people have bagged the RA1 (cmoy and all).

Aug 24, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #910 of 2,336
I look forward to further impressions. Reminds me, I need to buy an SPL meter sometime.

Sep 5, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #911 of 2,336
A cool moment--just sat down and threw the V2s on and put on the last track from Plush's _More You Becomes You_, "The Sailor".  Upon hearing the first few chords from the piano, I had to check to make sure I had the sound routed to the headphones, not the Big Rig speaker system behind me. 

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #912 of 2,336
How do these compare to RS1's?   Interested if they handle complex passages better?   I think my MS-Pros are fantastic except for heavier rock where all the band is playing hard.  They seem to get a little mushy with complex passages I think,  was wondering if these Magnums were more like HP1s and handle heavier rock better than the RS1/MS-Pros ?

Sep 7, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #913 of 2,336
"Congested" or "mushy" are not words I could use to describe the sound of the well broken in V2s....... even at absolutely outrageous volume, nothing seems to hurt for anything else.  They sound effortlessly capable...

Sep 19, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #915 of 2,336

Quote:
How do these compare to RS1's?   Interested if they handle complex passages better?   I think my MS-Pros are fantastic except for heavier rock where all the band is playing hard.  They seem to get a little mushy with complex passages I think,  was wondering if these Magnums were more like HP1s and handle heavier rock better than the RS1/MS-Pros ?

I would be interested in further reviews,of the Magnums compared to the HF-2's and the RS1's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back