Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Jul 27, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #841 of 2,336
100 hours of loud techno on them now.  Before I put them on my head, I turned back on the EQ settings I was using 50 hours ago to make them bearable.  They sounded pretty light in the loafers, unlike before, when the low end cut made them rather nice... turned the EQ off and now kick drums and bass guitars are starting to sound like musical instruments, rather than synthesizers.  Bass light recordings are now enjoyable and sound like, say "average" amounts of bottom end.  Bass heavy recordings are still unacceptable but simply not as bad as before when it sounded like I was wearing a pair of 18" subwoofers... down to 12" now........ would like to get it down to 8" :p

Back to the brutal playlist...

Jul 27, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #842 of 2,336
The bass on mine has also tone down a little but not near where I want them to be. I think the bass was tighter and had better texture before on the v1's. The bass is low but a little flabby "one note" on them right now. I think using the jumbo pads helped with the burn-in because I usually turn the volume higher with them on about 10db. 

Jul 28, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #843 of 2,336
Does he still offer V1 drivers? From what I've been reading, the V1 drivers paired with an APS cable seems like the way to go. People have even mentioned that the V1 can serve as a replacement to the RS1i which I think is very impressive. Is the V2 still worth the money? Or would a new cable for the 325is be a better investment.

Jul 28, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #844 of 2,336

Quote:
Does he still offer V1 drivers? From what I've been reading, the V1 drivers paired with an APS cable seems like the way to go. People have even mentioned that the V1 can serve as a replacement to the RS1i which I think is very impressive. Is the V2 still worth the money? Or would a new cable for the 325is be a better investment.

It's still too soon to say for sure. I'm starting to like the v2's. I feel like the v1's were slightly more refined sounding (in the bass, details), but the v2's are more "balanced", neutral sounding, and less fatiguing. I'm not certain, but it sounds like the v2 has that midbass that wasn't there before on the v1's that make them sound more "fun" like the RS1, HF2, etc. and gives them more body rather than sounding thin. 

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #845 of 2,336

Quote:
It's still too soon to say for sure. I'm starting to like the v2's. I feel like the v1's were slightly more refined sounding (in the bass, details), but the v2's are more "balanced", neutral sounding, and less fatiguing. I'm not certain, but it sounds like the v2 has that midbass that wasn't there before on the v1's that make them sound more "fun" like the RS1, HF2, etc. and gives them more body rather than sounding thin. 

If it's a good mixture of detail and "fullness" then that's good enough for me.

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #846 of 2,336
I think the overall tone they present is closer to something most people would like. I'm thoroughly enjoying mine even if they aren't perfect. But what headphone is?

Jul 29, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #847 of 2,336
It was an expensive exercise though.

The 'upgrade' cost me an extra $90 above what I paid for the cans. :) Still cheaper than a pair of HP-2s though. Ok, can anyone say if it's anywhere near the HP series? Or was it some myth perpetuated somewhere along these 57 pages. As far as I know, Rhydon is pretty secretive about saying exactly what the cans are modelled upon, supposed to sound like etc.

Where did the HP comparison come from?

Jul 29, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #848 of 2,336
The strength of the Grado HP drivers IMO is in the mid-range and though the mids are nice, I don't think the Magnum quite gets there. They are somehow not fully fleshed out in the mids - though this may be an amp issue in my case. You will have the advantage of the Melos I hope?

The comparison might be only skin deep (the metal construction); but I think Rhydon was aiming for a neutral-type sound a la the HP2. I reckon the V2 with its pumped up bass is not a neutral can (then again the HP drivers are a little bass heavy too - but not as much). However, from the mids up it is lovely and fun to listen to. Hopefully the bass will continue to tone down.

Jul 30, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #849 of 2,336

Quote:
The strength of the Grado HP drivers IMO is in the mid-range and though the mids are nice, I don't think the Magnum quite gets there. They are somehow not fully fleshed out in the mids - though this may be an amp issue in my case. You will have the advantage of the Melos I hope?

The comparison might be only skin deep (the metal construction); but I think Rhydon was aiming for a neutral-type sound a la the HP2. I reckon the V2 with its pumped up bass is not a neutral can (then again the HP drivers are a little bass heavy too - but not as much). However, from the mids up it is lovely and fun to listen to. Hopefully the bass will continue to tone down.

Well it was expected that these won't match or best the HP-2 but how close does it come?

Jul 30, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #850 of 2,336

Quote:
Well it was expected that these won't match or best the HP-2 but how close does it come?

I wouldn't say that it was originally implied that these were HP drivers,  I think Grado may have put a stop to it and those with V1 may have some very valueable headphones.  I thought it odd the time limit and blind faith that owners had to return for the driver "upgrade".  I hope I am wrong about this as I was high hoping about owning a $500 pair of HP-2's.

Jul 30, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #851 of 2,336

Quote:
I wouldn't say that it was originally implied that these were HP drivers,  I think Grado may have put a stop to it and those with V1 may have some very valueable headphones.  I thought it odd the time limit and blind faith that owners had to return for the driver "upgrade".  I hope I am wrong about this as I was high hoping about owning a $500 pair of HP-2's.

How does this work out? Unless I'm mistaken, Rhydon makes the drivers himself. I thought the HP drivers were made by an external company that now no longer makes high-end drivers, Grado now making their drivers in-house.

Anyway, I've asked Rhydon about what changes he has made. Hopefully he'll give a useful reply.  I'm more in the mood for a bit of bass thump at the moment, so I'm liking the V2.  Not sure how much my own brain adapting and how much the drivers are affected by use, but it doesn't sound as intrusive as it did when I first put them on.

Jul 30, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #853 of 2,336

Quote:
Is it more bass than the HF2?

Yes, I would say so. I remember when I first had the HF2, there was also very boomy bass, but now the bass is more integrated and while you still hear it it blends into the music. 

While the bass has toned down on the Magnum, it still doesn't quite blend in. When I put them on, the first thing I notice is the bass, then the details following behind it. 

Jul 30, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #854 of 2,336

Quote:
How does this work out? Unless I'm mistaken, Rhydon makes the drivers himself. I thought the HP drivers were made by an external company that now no longer makes high-end drivers, Grado now making their drivers in-house.

Anyway, I've asked Rhydon about what changes he has made. Hopefully he'll give a useful reply.  I'm more in the mood for a bit of bass thump at the moment, so I'm liking the V2.  Not sure how much my own brain adapting and how much the drivers are affected by use, but it doesn't sound as intrusive as it did when I first put them on.

I don't think this is the case.

If you search for Rhydon's old posts, he goes into detail about Grado drivers. From memory (correct me if I'm wrong), Rhydon seemed certain that Grado drivers weren't made in-house. A variety of reasons were quoted.

Rhydon also contacted the Singapore company that manufactured the HP drivers and got a later (inferior) batch of drivers. He actually sold his spares here on HF. The company still exists but has moved on to manufacturer other audio-related bits.

This might be OT, but I did enjoy the threads on whether Grado makes their own drivers. Go search for the Rhydon posts (many spawn from pictures of some HFers visit to the Grado labs).

One thing that leads me to believe that the Grado drivers are made out of house is that Grado claims to 'ship' the SR60 drivers to a manufacturer in China for the iGrado. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but that doesn't seem to make fiscal sense. Why go through the crazy expense of shipping in-house made drivers from the USA to China for a low-cost product?

From the Grado website:
By incorporating the same drivers used in our highly regarded SR60 headphones, we can proudly state that we are indeed "the high end choice in the low end market." 

I believe the Grado iGi in-ears are also made in China, ditto the much-maligned and ugly-looking SR40 (anyone remember that!?). The Gr8 is made in Japan.

Looking back at the HP drivers and at the SR40, iGrado and iGi: Grado doesn't have issues with manufacturing abroad or at least using parts made overseas. If anyone would bother doing some digging, who knows, the iGrado manufacturer might very well manufacturer Grado's drivers

My gut feel is that Rhydon has found a manufacturer of drivers and then dopes/customises them. Who knows, they might be the same company that manufactures the Grado drivers.

Jul 30, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #855 of 2,336

Quote:

I haven't gone through all the threads but it might be worth checking with people to see if the V1 were actually LIKE the HP2. Just because the V2 is more bassy than the V1 doesn't make them more valuable. 

I doubt that Grado had anything to do with Rhydon reissuing V2 drivers. From memory, the V1 cans were neutralish with high/sharp treble and anemic bass response. Perhaps Rhydon was simply trying to correct that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back