Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Feb 27, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #556 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where I want to be in the front row almost and enjoy every single note as it's sung, strung or hit, the Magnums win

Thats exactly how I feel about the Magnums. That is one of their best strengths, whether displaying the textures in the voice or deciphering every individual note up close and personal. Sometimes I feel like I can almost make out the exact instrument being played brand and everything. But I'm no musician (not professional anyway) so I can't say.

Currently listening to the Up In The Air soundtrack...at the moment I think I'm preferring how it sounds driven by the MAD Ear+ over the Grace. I think Grado's just sound better with tubes in general (with the exception of the HF2). The acoustics and ambiance sounds just so natural and sweet. I am having just as much detail as I could ever want without feeling like I'm sacrificing anything by not using solid state amplification.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #557 of 2,336
^ That's exactly why I loved my pre-magnum (lite) 325is's -- can't wait to hear them refined! only 2-ish more weeks!!!

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #558 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB;6l437604
^ That's exactly why I loved my pre-magnum (lite) 325is's -- can't wait to hear them refined! only 2-ish more weeks!!!

Hey Scottie,
You've lived a long time with those Grados, I'll be real interested in hearing your assessment of the sound.

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #560 of 2,336
Well I left a few quickies in the other thread - and I'm really not very good at this (and my setup is pretty modest compared to many here)... besides that I've got about 1 more week of work hell before I can relax (and then head to NAB in Vegas!) so I've mostly been listening to my work. I can say this - these Magnum lites definitely let me hear fine details (and thus identify more audio issues) in the commercials we make. I can't say for sure if it is any better than the 325is before the magnum (mostly because I was without them for several weeks) but they most certainly don't sound any worse. They are definitely more fun than my HD600, but there's probably no surprise there. Ince I've had some quality time with some quality music I'll be able to add more.

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #561 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't say for sure if it is any better than the 325is before the magnum (mostly because I was without them for several weeks) but they most certainly don't sound any worse.

That's quite an endorsement for a $200-400 upgrade!

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #562 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's quite an endorsement for a $200-400 upgrade!

Which would be precisely why I mentioned I hadn't had a whole lot of time to make assessments and would check back in later. I'd also stated in the past that I really liked the 325is before sending them in, so in fact it is a decent endorsement - I would have been pretty bummed if they came back and I no longer enjoyed listening to them. But you're welcome for the info.

Mar 21, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #564 of 2,336
Ok, got them in a few days ago and I have to say they are very impressive. I have lent them to my friend at the moment along with my rs1, and sr325is. later today I am hoping to compare them to my HP1 and HP2. I have a feeling the magnum will give some of my other grado's some competition. Will post some impressions when I get the chance to compare them side by side.

Mar 21, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #567 of 2,336
well i can say that they are a clear improvement between the sr325is and the magnum. magnum appear to be much faster and present everything much cleaner than the stock. In fact the magnum may be the fastest grado ever. The bass is much better, much more punchy, less bloated, and the treble is not harsh as the stock, but still very exciting.

Mar 21, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #569 of 2,336
I would confidently place them above RS1 (i have the "classic" on but i can compare them to vintage B in few days). The RS1 dose female vocals better though. but overall the Magnum are wonderful. I think Rhydon has put a lot of hardwork into these and for 200 for lite magnum mod is a steal. I cant wait to get to compare them to the HP later today or tomorrow.

Mar 21, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #570 of 2,336
I agree about the value of the lite mod, for £135 pounds or so (about the price of SR125i in this country) even if it was a small step up from the MS2i/SR3525i it'd be great value.

I have some MS2is and am quite tempted to go for this, but will keep gathering impressions first. Glad to hear you're enjoying them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back