Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Feb 19, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #526 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say go with sampson_smith's idea and send in some wood cups along with the SR60(i). That should make a very interesting and unique headphone.
wink.gif

I want the magnums, and I've made up my mind. I've spoken with Rhydon (who was very polite and helpful) and he answered all my questions about them, and I'm very happy to be a prospective customer. It's about timing for me. I could order tomorrow, but I would rather take care of a few things first, plus the woman would skin me if I bought them on any old day. I figure I can get by on the birthday loophole.

The concern is what to do with the disgarded and homeless 325i drivers and cable after I get my magnums. I'm convinced the SR325i drivers are different enough from SR60i drivers that it'd warrant swapping the SR325i drivers and cable into the SR60i cable, and then bringing in some woodies from some company onto the frankenstein I made. Also, a J$ headband because I hate the lower grado headbands.

popcorn.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #527 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want the magnums, and I've made up my mind. I've spoken with Rhydon (who was very polite and helpful) and he answered all my questions about them, and I'm very happy to be a prospective customer. It's about timing for me. I could order tomorrow, but I would rather take care of a few things first, plus the woman would skin me if I bought them on any old day. I figure I can get by on the birthday loophole.

The concern is what to do with the disgarded and homeless 325i drivers and cable after I get my magnums. I'm convinced the SR325i drivers are different enough from SR60i drivers that it'd warrant swapping the SR325i drivers and cable into the SR60i cable, and then bringing in some woodies from some company onto the frankenstein I made. Also, a J$ headband because I hate the lower grado headbands.

popcorn.gif

ah, i didn't read your post thoroughly. you can do whatever you want with them actually. i'm actually planning to experiment with my SR325i drivers. gonna order some wood cups, try my hand at damping the back area, and mess around with some cables.

you should check out this thread for ideas. lots of great info: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/gra...er-mod-183338/

Feb 19, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #529 of 2,336
When I order my Magnums I'll probably buy an sr60i and replace the existing drivers with my 325is drivers. Re-cable it with the spare grado cable because I'll probably have an APS v3 cable on my magnum. And then replace the cups from j$ money audio. So on top of having the magnum I can have a rs-2ish headphone in my collection.

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #530 of 2,336
I can't help wondering what a pair of the Magnum drivers in the Headphile Vixen (which uses 325i drivers) would be like...

Feb 19, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #532 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering, could someone post pics of the inside housings, how is it assembled inside(Glue/?), any damping on the inside surfaces or on the back of the drivers ?!

Thank you.

It's screwed into place, so should be easy.

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #533 of 2,336
Stupid question, would they do this mod to the HF2's? If they did would they use the 325is driver to give the HF-2's more midrange/upper midrange presence? Or would they modify the HF2 drivers?

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #534 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stupid question, would they do this mod to the HF2's? If they did would they use the 325is driver to give the HF-2's more midrange/upper midrange presence? Or would they modify the HF2 drivers?

They would do neither. The driver is no longer even a grado driver, but something else entirely that they order in specifically for this product.

I personally would never dream of killing a limited earphone like the HF2 for such a mod.

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #535 of 2,336
Quote:

They would do neither. The driver is no longer even a grado driver, but something else entirely that they order in specifically for this product.

I personally would never dream of killing a limited earphone like the HF2 for such a mod.

I know it sounds crazy but if these are like HP2's it may not be a bad idea. There is an HP2 in the for sale section for over 2 grand. And the wooden housing may really do something. The HF2s just dont have the in your face grado midrange I love. I'm seriously considering this.

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #536 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know it sounds crazy but if these are like HP2's it may not be a bad idea. There is an HP2 in the for sale section for over 2 grand. And the wooden housing may really do something. The HF2s just dont have the in your face grado midrange I love. I'm seriously considering this.

It wouldn't sound like HP2's in the end. It would probably end up sounding closer to PS1000 or something else... or just like HF2's in the first place. I'd get a pair of 325i's for the mod and not kill such a grand can. If you are that hurting to try this, I'll trade you my 325i for your HF2.

The end result would be an HF2 with a different driver, and some more alluminum on them. (part of me is outraged by any body killing a limited edition headphone like the HF-2, especially when it's already damned near impossible to get one)

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #537 of 2,336
I have been letting my Magnum APS V3 burn-in for the past week 24/7 on my Marantz CD5001 (it sounds great directly plugged into the CD5001 btw). Listening to David Gilmour's On An Island right now on the MAD Ear+ and all I can say is it's a really sweet treat. I can honestly say that this is the best headphone that I ever had a privilege of owning. Resolution on these are impressive and are the best I've heard out of any headphone I owned. It's almost as though I'm listening through a microscope; so detailed and textured. What amazes me is it's ability to seamlessly flow in and out, the individual notes coming in and slowly decaying into the darkness. It hits a real sweet spot, being so musical, and gets me into a deeper connection to the music.

Soundstage doesn't seem to be as wide or linear as the RS1i I used to own, but somehow seems to present a deeper, more in-depth space, allowing good separation between individual instruments and a better sense of placement.

For every Grado fan out there, the Magnum is a must listen (especially with the APS V3 cable). The Magnum is the only Grado (or non-Grado) without any apparent flaws and is the closest to perfect that I have ever heard.
happy_face1.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #538 of 2,336
I can't afford a 200$ headphone cable... but I definitely need one for when I do this mod. I will probably try fabbing my own if it's not terribly difficult... worst case scenario I can buy one but I'd like to avoid. What is the cheapest acceptable hi-fi cable? I'd fathom maybe 100$ is going a bit too far... but I might do it if it looked nice and was reviewed as fairly nuetral. Last thing I want in my way of enjoying my cans is a cable.

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #539 of 2,336
Quote:

I can't afford a 200$ headphone cable... but I definitely need one for when I do this mod. I will probably try fabbing my own if it's not terribly difficult... worst case scenario I can buy one but I'd like to avoid. What is the cheapest acceptable hi-fi cable? I'd fathom maybe 100$ is going a bit too far... but I might do it if it looked nice and was reviewed as fairly nuetral. Last thing I want in my way of enjoying my cans is a cable.

Grado Cables, especially the newer ones are very high quality. No point in replacing it unless you're gonna get something serious like the APS v3.

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #540 of 2,336
I put an APS V3 on my pair a few days ago and, while I do like the change, I wouldn't say the stock cable is at all bad. There wasn't any harshness in the treble with the stock cable, which for me is the usual sign of a bad cable. The only unpleasant thing about the stock cable is that it's ugly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back