Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Nov 15, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #286 of 2,336
I don't think it was said that new outer cups would be manufactured. They match because the 'stock cups' on their website are already silver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by peepee-king /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure it rotates to such an extreme level only because its a non 'i' MS2. Looking at the MS2i/325is below, you'll see that the extruded cups eventually block the maximum rotation angle of the gimble.

MAGXX.jpg

In that picture the cup on the left is blocking the travel of the gimbal but not in the direction that would matter as far as interfering with or damaing the cable.

Nov 15, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #287 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it was said that new outer cups would be manufactured. They match because the 'stock cups' on their website are already silver.

In that picture the cup on the left is blocking the travel of the gimbal but not in the direction that would matter as far as interfering with or damaing the cable.

Pads also limit the gimbal when the groove is full of pad.

Nov 15, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #288 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They match because the 'stock cups' on their website are already silver.

square_reviews.jpg

left_full.jpg

these looked like the gold SR325i to me. the rod caps look different too. no biggie.

Nov 15, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #289 of 2,336
These don't look like the phones advertised on their site. Rhydon still has a couple of weeks to find a solution for that problem, but I'll want a refund if he plans to send me Magnums with non-matching colours.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Nov 15, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #290 of 2,336
I always thought those were pictures of silver the new 325i. Quite a shame that they didn't offer matching colors. I'm glad that these things did somewhat come though, gives me hope for my MS-2i

Edit:

SemiAudio...looking forward to your impressions with the APS V3. Can you give us more description of how it's better than the RS-1? Also, how does the headphone pair with GS1000 pads?

Nov 15, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #291 of 2,336
Gold...? There's no way they look gold. They struck me as SR325is the moment I saw them. On the gold SR325i the lettering on the 'L', 'R' and cup text is also gold, this is clearly silver. The rods do look different though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
square_reviews.jpg

left_full.jpg

these looked like the gold SR325i to me. the rod caps look different too. no biggie.

Nov 15, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #292 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ahh..so the stock drivers did come with the new aluminum housing. i had the impression that we were getting the stock drivers back with its original plastic housing. i was wondering why it would sound any different. they sure look beautiful!

what are your impressions on the full alluminum vs. stock MS2i?

Quote:

Originally Posted by winzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
currawong..yours is the old ms2 right...? not the current version with mushroom cups..?

They are the stock drivers until Rhydon solves the durability issues with the coating on the modified drivers. I never owned stock, so I can only compare to my HF-2s and a friend's HF-1s. I have to say though, at the moment, they are more like what remembered of HF-1s, but (remember this is with stock drivers) probably too bright, though this isn't a problem in my rig, except after a few hours of listening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol, what a bad design for the cable. It might be okay for some months, but after some continuous usage, the metal edge will end up braking the plastic and possibly causing electrical problems to the drivers -if it is contact with the cable-.

It's not as bad as it looks, and forgive me that I'm newish to Grado. Rhydon emailed me to suggest that the whole thing is based around the modified drivers -- the fit which requires the screws, and the sound, so preliminary impressions don't represent the complete mod and how it will perform. Anyway, after spending some time looking at the cable, I don't think the rubbing, which wont occur often, is an issue. The angle i held them at is an unusually extreme one. If I were Rhydon, I would consider an extra layer of heatshrink around the cable there for best results, but I'd be surprised if it took less than a decade to rub through the Grado industrial PVC around the wires. He could, I suppose, just have that point cut through entirely, like the HF-2, though he might not want to lose the rigidity of a complete ring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't one just flip this around yourself so that the yoke notch is then on the other side? Is it permanently attached to the driver housing? Maybe they installed it backwards...

Then the cups would be pushed the other way, away from the more useful angles for sitting on one's head. Also, the rods are angled, so you can't reverse them without screwing up the positioning of everything.

Anyway, the whole cable thing is close to a non-issue and more just my not being used to Grado designs and being good at picking out possible issues in things.

Nov 15, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #294 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan7hos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always thought those were pictures of silver the new 325i. Quite a shame that they didn't offer matching colors. I'm glad that these things did somewhat come though, gives me hope for my MS-2i

Edit:

SemiAudio...looking forward to your impressions with the APS V3. Can you give us more description of how it's better than the RS-1? Also, how does the headphone pair with GS1000 pads?

Same with me, I always assumed that they were the SR325is..

Nov 15, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #295 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by peepee-king /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gold...? There's no way they look gold. They struck me as SR325is the moment I saw them. On the gold SR325i the lettering on the 'L', 'R' and cup text is also gold, this is clearly silver. The rods do look different though.

Yeah that's some extemely wishful thinking to see those as gold. Or a monitor with really poor color reproduction or calibration.

Nov 15, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #296 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan7hos /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Edit:

am i the only one that thinks they look gold? they actually look more brass colored in those pictures than either gold nor silver. probably has been photoshopped or something. still the color mismatch isn't a big problem, i was just shocked to see them that way. i guess with other models they would at least match better silver/silver, black/silver. gold/silver looks a little off and weird. but then again it makes them look unique and doesn't detract from their sexiness.
evil_smiley.gif

i may have exaggerated a bit at first. i do not think they are better than the RS1's. if anything, there are about equal (at least in a involving and enjoyment matter). like most models, i think they each have their strengths. they technically still sound like SR325i's to me, just in a different matter. i'm still getting accustomed to their sound, but i would say they definitely sound more laid-back than before and the tone has changed and sounds very similar to the HF2's. i haven't tried them with GS1000 pads yet, i'll give it a try sometime later in the week. and possibly do more comparisions between HF2 w/ stock bowls and the full aluminum SR325i.

edit: hah...i think it is my monitor. i'm using a Samsung SyncMaster with that MagicColor feature set on. it makes them look gold.
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #299 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All went silent on these Magnums? No rave reviews? (Nothing more arrived?)

Yeah. pretty much all you hear is the sound of Crickets slathered in Snake Oil.

They don't make much noise when they are slathered in oil...

Nov 28, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #300 of 2,336
I haven't gotten mine yet. No Magnum... no review. Those two who got their's, received them without updated drivers. So again, no reviews worthwhile, when all one is commenting on is a partial product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back