Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Aug 20, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #1,291 of 2,336
New driver designs are available to customers usually at no charge. I like to keep everyone up to date with the current driver build. The only thing we ask is you cover shipping.

Im not sure what you mean by "getting the parts anodized". We do anodize all our parts here, before the headphone is assembled.

Aug 20, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #1,293 of 2,336
do you mean black anodize or black chrome? very dark chocolate brown maybe, but not sure if many other colours would work that well. ie. look good
smile.gif

Quote:
Like another colour.

Aug 21, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #1,295 of 2,336
The first person to get BRIGHT PINK Magnums is officially disowned. 
wink_face.gif

Aug 21, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #1,297 of 2,336
Hey Rhydon, why does it appear that the new 3.5 versions have a different color (flat gray) vs the older versions which perfectly match the brushed aluminum cups?

Edit: I'm basing my question on Currawongs pictures

Aug 22, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #1,302 of 2,336
I think in the end I still prefer bowls, though quarter mod HD414 pads are a close 2nd. Bowls just have better imaging and presentation overall. I think with certain recordings the HD414 pads can sound pretty darn good though. 

I haven't been spending enough time with my Magnums lately, because I've been burning in the Rev2 LCD and playing with the HD650. But it's like whenever I put a different headphone on, I'm always amazed at how awesome it sounds and just get totally immersed. Especially right now, listening to the Magnums and my current Artist of the month, Patricia Barber.

Aug 22, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #1,303 of 2,336
Here are my magnums, version 3.5. I had Rhydon terminate the cables in a mini 4 pin xlr so that I can use Steve Eddy's awesome Q cable and my four other mini xlr cables on these cans as well as the LCD-2's and the HE-5LE's.
I also prefer these with the bowls, even compared to the salad bowls. The soundstage is way bigger than the HF-2 and the clarity and instrument separation is on par with the HE5-LE's, while the bass is better then any Grado's I have heard to date, punchy with great prat and physicality on the right recordings. I think these definitely retain the Grado sound signature, but do everything much better. 
Good Job Rhydon, worth the wait.

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #1,304 of 2,336
So i went to B&H today and picked up a pair of the HD414 pads for just under $6. I quarter modded or at least as close as possible since my cutting is quite messy but I put them on the headphones reversed and I quite like the sound. Also the comfort is much better since I think the bowl pads I had was pretty worn so didn't offer as much cushion as these.

Aug 24, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #1,305 of 2,336
The bowls I gave you were almost new and they were squishy because I washed them four times. When they are brand new they are incredibly rigid and have no cushion at all. I don't think you would have liked the bowls if they were not washed.

Quote:
So i went to B&H today and picked up a pair of the HD414 pads for just under $6. I quarter modded or at least as close as possible since my cutting is quite messy but I put them on the headphones reversed and I quite like the sound. Also the comfort is much better since I think the bowl pads I had was pretty worn so didn't offer as much cushion as these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back