Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Aug 19, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #1,276 of 2,336
So I got a set of the Magnum v2.5 today from another head-fi member. I quite like the sound of these as these are my first Grado headphones although it is modded so not sure what it is considered as but nevertheless my first set of Grados.

Are there any pads that offer more comfort than the bowl pads? I'm not used to the drivers being this close to my ears. I feel like my ears are touching the drivers and the bowl pads are just there..

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #1,277 of 2,336

Quote:
So I got a set of the Magnum v2.5 today from another head-fi member. I quite like the sound of these as these are my first Grado headphones although it is modded so not sure what it is considered as but nevertheless my first set of Grados.

Are there any pads that offer more comfort than the bowl pads? I'm not used to the drivers being this close to my ears. I feel like my ears are touching the drivers and the bowl pads are just there..

the grado flats (pancake) can be had for $15 or so, just quarter mod them if they seem muffled, another option would be the hd414 earpads (dyed, or not)

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #1,278 of 2,336
Where can you get the flats? The only thing I've seen are the TTVJ ones which go for 35. The HD414 quarter mod does sound interesting..I can go to B&H tomorrow and buy it for around 6 bucks or so in the store. I've reversed the pads and they are much more comfortable now but I'm willing to try other pads esp if one goes for 6 bucks or so esp if I don't have to wait for shipping.

I really like the sound of these. I've heard Grado was really bright, forward midrange, etc but these modified Magnums sound really nice. The treble is very smooth and seems to be closer to the DT880/600 in signature than I expected it to be. There are still differences but I expected something much different.

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #1,279 of 2,336

Quote:
Where can you get the flats? The only thing I've seen are the TTVJ ones which go for 35. The HD414 quarter mod does sound interesting..I can go to B&H tomorrow and buy it for around 6 bucks or so in the store. I've reversed the pads and they are much more comfortable now but I'm willing to try other pads esp if one goes for 6 bucks or so esp if I don't have to wait for shipping.

I really like the sound of these. I've heard Grado was really bright, forward midrange, etc but these modified Magnums sound really nice. The treble is very smooth and seems to be closer to the DT880/600 in signature than I expected it to be. There are still differences but I expected something much different.

I bought my flats at my local headphone dealer (brick n mortar store) for $12.00 everywhere else it seems they go for $15

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #1,280 of 2,336
I think I'll try the HD414 pads first since they are cheapest and go from there. From what I get the quarter mod is pretty much just cutting a hole in the middle the size of a quarter and going from there and wearing it backwards. Hopefully the comfort is a bit better. I think the pads I have are a bit worn out which may explain part of the discomfort.

I would also like to get a SR325i or at least try it out some day at a meet or something with my gear to see the difference the Magnum makes.

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #1,281 of 2,336
Quarter modded HD414 pads are pretty good, they get a little itchy though because of the material. They sound somewhere between bowls and the flats. I think bowls still sound the best. I've never actually tried the HD414 pads on the Magnum yet though...I think I just might do that. 

edit: Ok, the quarter mod HD414 pads sound pretty darn good with these. You lose a bit of the distance and treble detail, but it brings out the mids more and sound more intimate. It sounds pretty balanced and very nice. I can't believe I haven't tried these before. Will have to do some more testing but it sounds **** good so far. 

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #1,282 of 2,336

Quote:
I think I'll try the HD414 pads first since they are cheapest and go from there. From what I get the quarter mod is pretty much just cutting a hole in the middle the size of a quarter and going from there and wearing it backwards. Hopefully the comfort is a bit better. I think the pads I have are a bit worn out which may explain part of the discomfort.

I would also like to get a SR325i or at least try it out some day at a meet or something with my gear to see the difference the Magnum makes.

rawrster, would you be interested in a audition in the near future? I've always been interested in the mod but i only have a 325is

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #1,283 of 2,336
There's no good way to ship these really. It didn't come in the 325i box or anything just a lot of bubble wrap :p

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #1,285 of 2,336

Quote:
Quarter modded HD414 pads are pretty good, they get a little itchy though because of the material. They sound somewhere between bowls and the flats. I think bowls still sound the best. I've never actually tried the HD414 pads on the Magnum yet though...I think I just might do that. 

edit: Ok, the quarter mod HD414 pads sound pretty darn good with these. You lose a bit of the distance and treble detail, but it brings out the mids more and sound more intimate. It sounds pretty balanced and very nice. I can't believe I haven't tried these before. Will have to do some more testing but it sounds **** good so far. 

The material does look itchy so hopefully it won't be itchy for me. Either way it is a small investment and if it sounds that good to you then it's worth a try. Which Magnum version do you have?

The metal on these headphones definitely look pretty nice and I like it better than the wood I've seen on the Grados that I've auditioned. The pads on the GS1000 was one that I liked until I saw the price of those :p

Aug 20, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #1,286 of 2,336
This mod looks great. I was looking at a upgrade in sound(RS1s) but this caught my eye. I have a couple questions.

1) How long does the whole process take? I'm not interested if its something like two months.

2) I hear many people prefer these to the RS1s, what price tag would you put on a Magnumed 325is.

3) The drivers keep being updated(currently at 3.5 I think), how often does this happen and what can I do about it.

4) Does this mod effect the importance of a tube amp? I just bought a Little Dot I+ and I want to make sure that my Grados still benefit.

Aug 20, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #1,287 of 2,336
Usually mods of any kind takes a while so if you are not willing to wait then your best bet is to see if anyone is willing to sell theirs in the FS ads. There are posts in this thread that mention about the wait time for the Magnum upgrades and some have waited about that long.

After spending some more time with these I really like these set of headphones and will take some time away from the DT880  but that's always the case with my new headphones. They get the majority of the listening time for a while until I switch back and find a favorite. I checked the B&H website and unfortunately they are not open on Saturday so I'll buy them another time. The first thing I really noticed is that the treble is quite smooth and usually with Grado many people say the treble is really bright esp the 325i so I guess Rhydon provided drivers that has a much smoother treble or that I'm able to handle treble better than many others. Of course this is speculation but I will try out the 325i on my own system eventually.

I was hoping to try them straight out of my dac/amp but the volume gets too loud too early on the volume knob so I will just stick to my PPAv2. I may get another amp one day such as a tube but for now the PPAv2 does the job.

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #1,288 of 2,336
Mod time currently is about 3-4 weeks after we receive the original pair. Currently we are selling 2 versions on the magnum, the Full mod and the Light version. Both are identical except for the Light using the original Grado gimbals vs our Aluminum gimbals on the Full. The Light can be upgraded to a Full at a later time if needed.

Our drivers have similar impedance to Grado's- power them the same way you would any low impedance headphone. However like any high quality headphone, its performance is determined by the quality of amplification used.

Aug 20, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #1,289 of 2,336

Quote:
I bought my flats at my local headphone dealer (brick n mortar store) for $12.00 everywhere else it seems they go for $15

I think your earpads are compies, not flats. You can buy flats new from TTVJ and they cost a lot more than $15.

Aug 20, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #1,290 of 2,336
3) The drivers keep being updated(currently at 3.5 I think), how often does this happen and what can I do about it.

I really would like to get the cups, grill, and button anodized. Is there anyway I could receive all these parts after you have disassembled my headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back