Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Jul 16, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #1,246 of 2,336
Version 3.5 just released.  Hopefully, it'll tone down the brightness a little bit and bring the mids more foreward while maintaining its detail retrieval capability.  That would be awesome!
normal_smile%20.gif

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #1,247 of 2,336
Just at the moment I emailed Rhydon to ask about the frequency response too.

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #1,248 of 2,336
last friday rhydon sent to me the new 3.5 version.
the cable is moon-audio black dragon v2 and i have the ttvj flat pads.
i´m really curious
i hope that the headphone arrive this week

Jul 16, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #1,249 of 2,336
I'm quite happy with the sound of the V2 drivers and could probably live with it. It could use some enhanced mids for sure, but I think with Grado drivers when you boost the mids, you end up losing some treble or end up with some bloated bass. If Rhydon manages to contain all 3 of them with the same amount of resolution and detail, that would be awesome of course. 
happy_face1.gif

You can actually bring out the Mids, when you drive them out of a amp like the Mapletree, It's quite nice, freq. response sounds like listening to LCD-2.

Perhaps Rhydon could bring back the V1's and offer 3 different versions of the Magnum drivers for those who want to do the upgrade. Then people can choose what flavor they want. I think this would be good for a bigger customer base that wants something different. 
wink.gif
 (Rhydon if you're listening)

BTW, the Magnum sounds incredible with live albums. Not all headphones can pull this off, but the Magnum is able to capture that live energy, so engaging. 

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #1,250 of 2,336
I have been listening to my V2 magnums and Senn HD600 recently. The magnums are more dynamic, have better extension and resolution. However, with female vocals the Senn has a more holographic presentation.
One area of real weakness with the magnums to me is imaging which is poor compared to the Senns, especially with symphonic and chamber music.
What would be the next phone that would combine the resolution and dynamics of the magnums, but with solid imaging? Shouls I look to the LCD-2?

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #1,251 of 2,336
The V1s had amazing imaging IMO.  The only thing similar I've encountered so far has been Stax.

Jul 17, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #1,253 of 2,336
I thought the V3 had excellent imaging (except the bass which was quite diffuse in my pair), but I've never compared it to the V2.

I'm hoping the bass is toned down a little in the 3.5, because I love listening to the Magnums with flat pads. The flats make the mids and treble just right for me.

Bit selfish I guess.

Jul 18, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #1,255 of 2,336
Ah, so generally most are happy with the imaging of the V1 and V3. Maybe its an issue with how I am amping the V2 - I have a Meier Headfive and a citypulse ef3.01. With both these amps the imaging is far superior with my HD600's.
What amps are you using with the magnums, and what would you recommend?

Jul 19, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #1,256 of 2,336
Jul 27, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #1,260 of 2,336

you told me before.
mine is stopped as well
evil_smiley.gif

perhaps i see it only in september,is not right
mad.gif

the look of the V3.5 is very good.
you tell us know how it sounds
Quote:
Mine just came in to work. Look forward to getting them home.

Rhydon has put buttons on them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back