Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Dec 13, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #1,831 of 2,336
Great to hear.  I did once have the HD800 and LCD-2 (both versions) but I love the sound signature of the Magnums.  I'm glad I didn't sacrifice the details and instrument separation. 

Quote:
I have never heard the HD 800, but I do own a pair of LCD-2 rev1 and I have to say that the Magnum has greater detail and instrument separation. In fact I would put them on par with the HE-6 for detail (not everything else though). The best feature of the Magnum to me is it's ability to separate sounds so that you can identify where one sound ends and another begins.

Dec 14, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #1,832 of 2,336
I haven't heard an HE-6 or any of the other otho "headphone",  but I can tell you this V4 magnum does better at accurately reproducing stringed instruments like the guitar better than anything I have heard including the HD-800, HD-650, K701,K501.   But we all know Grado's kill anything else as far as electric guitar.  The bass on these V4's is what surprises me,  I can follow the electric bass lines much better.  I can hear flaws in the recording of bass drum hits that before were muffled.  I put about 72 hrs of burn-in with the burn-in.wav.  Compared to the V2 (which I suspect are V1 drivers) there is a little less air around the upper vocals ( there is a little less naturalness to the singing) with flats but overall richer midrange.   With Bowls all is fine, it seems this is the first Grado I have heard that I may end up preferring bowls.  I can't say I have enough listening tim to pick which version is better at vocals.

As a guide for my tastes as everyone hears differently due to skull/ear goemetry,  I hate RS2's and HF2's,  and love MS-Pros/RS1's.  

Here is a simple test anyone can do.   Take your favorite grados and play some load bass heavy music,  take them off your head and notice all the rattling/vibration.  Thats all gone with the Magnum.  It translated into detailed accurate sound.

But what we really need is a "trusted" member who enthusiastically owns and listens to pair of HP1000's.  We need to find the right guy,  someone who listens to the HP's as their main phone,  and send him a pair of V4's to compare/contrast.  WhiIe suspect that person would be Rhydon,   there is probably someone else out there?

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #1,833 of 2,336

Quote:
I haven't heard an HE-6 or any of the other otho "headphone",  but I can tell you this V4 magnum does better at accurately reproducing stringed instruments like the guitar better than anything I have heard including the HD-800, HD-650, K701,K501.   But we all know Grado's kill anything else as far as electric guitar.  The bass on these V4's is what surprises me,  I can follow the electric bass lines much better.  I can hear flaws in the recording of bass drum hits that before were muffled.  I put about 72 hrs of burn-in with the burn-in.wav.  Compared to the V2 (which I suspect are V1 drivers) there is a little less air around the upper vocals ( there is a little less naturalness to the singing) with flats but overall richer midrange.   With Bowls all is fine, it seems this is the first Grado I have heard that I may end up preferring bowls.  I can't say I have enough listening tim to pick which version is better at vocals.

As a guide for my tastes as everyone hears differently due to skull/ear goemetry,  I hate RS2's and HF2's,  and love MS-Pros/RS1's.  

Here is a simple test anyone can do.   Take your favorite grados and play some load bass heavy music,  take them off your head and notice all the rattling/vibration.  Thats all gone with the Magnum.  It translated into detailed accurate sound.

But what we really need is a "trusted" member who enthusiastically owns and listens to pair of HP1000's.  We need to find the right guy,  someone who listens to the HP's as their main phone,  and send him a pair of V4's to compare/contrast.  WhiIe suspect that person would be Rhydon,   there is probably someone else out there?

read past postos.
i had a hp-1000 and i compared with the 3.5.
this week, i listen the 4.0

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #1,834 of 2,336
What got me into Grados was the midbass warmth and groove and the upper midrange attack and crunch of the RS1 Vintage A.  But foolishly I sold it and got a RS1i.  And since than Grados were a love and hate thing, but I never gave up on the pursuit of somehow getting what I got from the Vintage A RS1.  Well, I can finally say that I no longer miss the Vintage RS1 A and I'm done with the pursuit.  If anything, I hope to stay with Rhydon and his pursuit of improving the Magnums. 

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #1,835 of 2,336
I just got mine today. I decided on the UHPLC cable and Furutech Jack.

They sound great after 8 hours of non-stop burn-in. I still love the AKG valor pad mod the best comparing them to bowls and quarter-modded comfies.

These MAgnums do have very good details and reproduction on the timbers of various instruments! I'm in love: )

Dec 14, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #1,841 of 2,336

The original viablue's should work.
Quote:
...........yea, that's what I was getting at......a link would be sweeeet ! ............probably limited to 1/4 plug with these stock 8 cable grado cables ? I've been looking around for an oversized 3.5mm plug with no success so far.......the standard small size 3.5mm plug are so small to squeeze 8 wires into. If anyone knows of big 3.5mm plug, chime in please

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #1,842 of 2,336

Quote:
...........yea, that's what I was getting at......a link would be sweeeet ! ............probably limited to 1/4 plug with these stock 8 cable grado cables ? I've been looking around for an oversized 3.5mm plug with no success so far.......the standard small size 3.5mm plug are so small to squeeze 8 wires into. If anyone knows of big 3.5mm plug, chime in please

Canare F-12.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back