Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Dec 6, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #1,803 of 2,336

Quote:
46 mm is the overall driver size.........It's not the driver size I'm interested in. It's the effective driver diameter, as measured from hole to hole as seen in above pic. You guys should be more interested in this than the color of the finish if sound is of interest to you, because it matters ! especially if it's tight like the one on the left in this pic:

scroll up.. Actually, you might have to go back a page.

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #1,806 of 2,336

Quote:
Thanks ! got it. So it's just 1mm smaller........will have to ponder and experiment some more to determine if that's a significant enough difference. right on the border. But regardless, the pads you have on that perticular magnum IS significant and a great example of how seemingly minor variables actually matter. When a guy gives his 'impressions' and tone reports; these are 'bright', sibilant, bassy etc and these variable are unknown, it really is a recipe for confusion and misinformation, unintentioned as it may be. Communcation in general is fraught with misunderstandings in every area of life, headphones included........But I can say from my experiemts, the pad is a factor, especially if it's close in to the driver. really affects things, it seems to be less of a factor the further the pad is from the edge.........

I always tell people when they are posting impressions to include pads and their source/amp.. both can make a pretty big difference on grados, and pretty much every headphone. Even then, it's all subjective.

I won't be posting impressions until I have the new bowls and I've given them a month to break in.

Dec 7, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #1,808 of 2,336
Those are very nice MS2i shell you have there. They use to be mine 
wink.gif
. Down under they come.

Quote:
ms2i's, well the shells anyways. I've only seen brushed shells and shiny shells. nothing I would describe as "speckled"

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #1,810 of 2,336
Finally I had enough and drove to the fedex office to pick up my own Magnum....Fedex u suck!!!!!
In the first few minutes of listening...treble and midrange is still very much Grado, but the bass has much more weight.

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #1,814 of 2,336

Quote:
Finally I had enough and drove to the fedex office to pick up my own Magnum....Fedex u suck!!!!!
In the first few minutes of listening...treble and midrange is still very much Grado, but the bass has much more weight.

You pay 280 for shipping in the same continent, they make you wait a week (and days longer than Xpresspost), then 'lose' your package and make you collect it yourself, and you get no compensation of any sort? And here we thought private couriers were more reliable..

Anyway my two cents, brushed looks way nicer than shiny. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back