Super Detailed for Radiohead?
Aug 20, 2012 at 11:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Sutton

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to improve my music set-up but I'm not sure whether there is a "weak link" in my chain or if I should simply add another pair of headphones to my collection. Currently I am Using: Sources: PC / iPod Touch 1st Gen / Samsung Galaxy S3 (wolfson Chip) all with .m4a apple lossless files. AMP / DAC: FiiO E7 + E9 combo (I take this with me when I travel hence the iPod and S3 for sources) Headphones: HD595 HD650 Grado SR225 Music: Pink Floyd, Radiohead, U2, UFO, Led Zeppelin and similar. I feel as though the Senns do a great job on the 'Floyd, very smooth, warm and authoritative. The Grado's are Excellent for UFO (Stangers in the Night especially!) and Led Zepp but I'm not totally happy about how my Radiohead is sounding. I feel as though I could do with a SUPER detailed and super 'fast' headphone to pick up all the little details and things in songs like "everything in its Right Place", "Idioteque", "myxomatosis" etc. etc. I'm not entirely sure what would suit Radiohead by having all the details but without losing the energy of the music. I certainly don't want something too clinical and joyless... Any ideas?

Aug 20, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #2 of 14
The DT880(600 ohm), DT990(600 ohm), AKG K701 are pretty good for these genres because they are very detailed in all frequencies.

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 14
I feel as though you'd want to stay away from anything remotely bright for radiohead-- their recordings tend to be hot. 

HE-400 sounds like a good choice, but I think HD650 is definitely fast enough to show the details for radiohead songs.

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #7 of 14
A friend of mine is a huge Radiohead fan, and he says they sound absolutely brilliant on my lowly K240.  Go figure...

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #8 of 14
Problem is that Radiohead's albums are just not that well recorded
with respect to their SQ (not referencing their music at all here)

limited dynamics
two dimensional
bright

(note: have not listened carefully on quality gear
to their last 4 albums -- Live, Hail, Rainbows, King)

Aug 21, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
Problem is that Radiohead's albums are just not that well recorded
with respect to their SQ (not referencing their music at all here)

limited dynamics
two dimensional
bright

(note: have not listened carefully on quality gear
to their last 4 albums -- Live, Hail, Rainbows, King)

I'd agree with this. Was very disappointed when I first listened to Radiohead on my MS1s, until i realized it was the headphones showing up the poor recording and not the other way around ... In Rainbows is actually my favourite of theirs for headphones, King of Limbs i find almost unlistenable (despite preferring it as an album!)

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
I'd agree with this. Was very disappointed when I first listened to Radiohead on my MS1s, until i realized it was the headphones showing up the poor recording and not the other way around ... In Rainbows is actually my favourite of theirs for headphones, King of Limbs i find almost unlistenable (despite preferring it as an album!)

Sadly I think this is true.... I'm not a major audiophile, and my gear is probably not even comparable to yours...but even on mine there albums (mostly kid A and after) they are just not balanced and are somewhat hissy....just IMO (or maybe my gear is just bad). However OK computer sounds OK (lol) and same with the Bends...

This sucks for me because they are my favorite artist :frowning2:

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #11 of 14
I have similar sentiments. Everything after Kid A just isn't that well recorded (although it's still absolutely stunning music). 

Anyway, the HE-400 is great for Radiohead. I'd also like to add that Reckoner on an HD598 amped with a FiiO E17 was one of the most amazing listening experiences I've had. You probably shouldn't buy them just for one song, though.

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
I'm looking to improve my music set-up but I'm not sure whether there is a "weak link" in my chain or if I should simply add another pair of headphones to my collection. Currently I am Using: Sources: PC / iPod Touch 1st Gen / Samsung Galaxy S3 (wolfson Chip) all with .m4a apple lossless files. AMP / DAC: FiiO E7 + E9 combo (I take this with me when I travel hence the iPod and S3 for sources) Headphones: HD595 HD650 Grado SR225 Music: Pink Floyd, Radiohead, U2, UFO, Led Zeppelin and similar. I feel as though the Senns do a great job on the 'Floyd, very smooth, warm and authoritative. The Grado's are Excellent for UFO (Stangers in the Night especially!) and Led Zepp but I'm not totally happy about how my Radiohead is sounding. I feel as though I could do with a SUPER detailed and super 'fast' headphone to pick up all the little details and things in songs like "everything in its Right Place", "Idioteque", "myxomatosis" etc. etc. I'm not entirely sure what would suit Radiohead by having all the details but without losing the energy of the music. I certainly don't want something too clinical and joyless... Any ideas?

My favorite headphone for Radiohead is the Koss Pro DJ 100.
Better yet, listen to Thom Yorke's "The Eraser" on this. M50 pads required for the full experience!

AKG K601 is pretty good too. It has a little less treble than the Q701.

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #13 of 14
I love Kid A through the Dt 880 and the HD 650, the 880 reveals plenty of detail and if you want a smoother ride the 650 takes a little edge away, but that means a small amount of fine texture goes as well, but the 650 is very nice. I will listen to Kid A again with both and let you know what I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back