Sub200$ IEM with best value [ RE262; HF5; GR07; GR01; X10i; TF10; Custom CE & more]
Sep 25, 2012 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

LaninKhan

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, i've recently lost my Aurvana IEM 2, and i need a new pair of IEM. 
Budget is 200$, but i can also spend something less. XD
After some months reading every thread and review here, I'm still unable to take a decision, so, I'm in your hands.

I listen mostly to post-rock, darkwave, indie-rock, experimental progressive rock. Electro, and classic rock, sometimes. 

As source I use an iPod Touch 4 unamped, i'll buy a sansa clip soon, anyway. 

The feature I'm searching for are: punchy, detailed and quite present bass; a wide (or at least decent) soundstage, analytical sound but not too much or too harsh. 
I'm not able to judge mids and higs so i'll just keep my mouth closed about that. 

HF5 are included in the poll even if I'm not sure about them, I'm not sure if they suits my needs, but their value is too high to not include them, and maybe i just need a more 'hi-fi' approach.
Same thing for RE-0, i want to use my earphones unamped.
I'm very tempted by Cosmic Ears too. You know, custom iem with twin BA for less than 200$! 

About Shure and Phonak, i don't know the models, vote in the poll and write it in the reply pls

For tapatalk users, poll options are:
- Hifiman RE-262
- Etymotic Research HF5
- Vsonic GR01
- Vsonic GR07
- Ultimate Ears TF10
- Brainwavz B2
- Klipsch Image X10
- Cosmic Ears Flex with Twin BA driver [ custom iem ]
- Hifiman RE-0
- Shure something
- Phonak something

Sorry for my bad english, btw.

Sep 25, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #2 of 27
GR07 MKii get my vote. Can't see the poll on tapatalk, but that would be my choice. I listen to similar music and the GR07 MKii are pretty much exactly what you're after. The bass is deep and fast and makes drums sound amazing for that type of music. Plus the soundstage is nice for an IEM and it's very clear with great highs. The mids are present enough and make guitars and vocals sound great for this type of music, too. Some have complained about sibilance in the upper mids and lower highs, but I never noticed any at all even without burning them in. I'm coming from the DT990 Pro 250 Ohm and almost prefer the GR07 mkii a little more. They just do things right to my ears. Plus they're crazy comfortable when you find the right tip and isolate well enough without having to blast the music. They respond well to an eq as well.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:
GR07 MKii get my vote. Can't see the poll on tapatalk, but that would be my choice. I listen to similar music and the GR07 MKii are pretty much exactly what you're after. The bass is deep and fast and makes drums sound amazing for that type of music. Plus the soundstage is nice for an IEM and it's very clear with great highs. The mids are present enough and make guitars and vocals sound great for this type of music, too. Some have complained about sibilance in the upper mids and lower highs, but I never noticed any at all even without burning them in. I'm coming from the DT990 Pro 250 Ohm and almost prefer the GR07 mkii a little more. They just do things right to my ears. Plus they're crazy comfortable when you find the right tip and isolate well enough without having to blast the music. They respond well to an eq as well.
Sent from my Galaxy SIII

I saw a lot of people prefer gr07 over the flagship gr01 too! 

These could be a great choice, but i'm too curious about HF5, TF10 and customs.

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:
I saw a lot of people prefer gr07 over the flagship gr01 too! 

These could be a great choice, but i'm too curious about HF5, TF10 and customs.

Im not sure why the GR01 gets so little love. It has gotten nothing but favorable reviews. I absolutely love mine, i have never tried the GR07 or any other Vsonic to compare. 

This wasnt an option, but id vote Rockit Sounds R-50. Since this wasnt an option ill have to vote for the GR01.

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #6 of 27
The GR07, UE TF10Pro, Klipsch Image X10, XBA4 offers good punchy bass, crisp clear mids, highs and fairly wide soundstage. Etymotic HF5 are very detailed in mids with clear extended highs and tight bass but it's not punchy as others(still pretty good for most users due to deep tight seal).

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 27
It's a really hard choice for me between TF10 and GR07.

TF10 are definitely more engaging having some technical benefits imo. Though GR07 is a pure delight for me at lower volumes. They offer completely different signatures with TF10 being slightly metallic or artificial sounding, by no means bad though tiring for me after a while, vocals can sound cloudy once you hear something truly natural. I think for on the go and music that needs energy TF10 is the better choice. Though GR07 is so natural, clear and very well balanced, relaxing however, It just can't get up and go go go like the TF10 does at higher volumes. GR07 is the clear winner for me while laying down at night and for your genre's.

I think GR07 is definitely the more 'audiophile' approach, giving you a taste of the real stuff. While TF10 is more fun focused.

I can't vote between them, that's how hard it is to decide owning both. If I was forced I would probably choose TF10. possibly. :/

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Im not sure why the GR01 gets so little love. It has gotten nothing but favorable reviews. I absolutely love mine, i have never tried the GR07 or any other Vsonic to compare. 

This wasnt an option, but id vote Rockit Sounds R-50. Since this wasnt an option ill have to vote for the GR01.

Didn't know these iem, they look amazing, for only 120$! How is isolation with these?
Quote:
The GR07, UE TF10Pro, Klipsch Image X10, XBA4 offers good punchy bass, crisp clear mids, highs and fairly wide soundstage. Etymotic HF5 are very detailed in mids with clear extended highs and tight bass but it's not punchy as others(still pretty good for most users due to deep tight seal).

I'm considering HF5 for their 'precision' , but i don't know if bass will be enough for me. On the other hand, i'm buying also a pair of GR02 Bass Edition, just for fun ( and dangerous situation) .
Quote:
It's a really hard choice for me between TF10 and GR07.
TF10 are definitely more engaging having some technical benefits imo. Though GR07 is a pure delight for me at lower volumes. They offer completely different signatures with TF10 being slightly metallic or artificial sounding, by no means bad though tiring for me after a while, vocals can sound cloudy once you hear something truly natural. I think for on the go and music that needs energy TF10 is the better choice. Though GR07 is so natural, clear and very well balanced, relaxing however, It just can't get up and go go go like the TF10 does at higher volumes. GR07 is the clear winner for me while laying down at night and for your genre's.
I think GR07 is definitely the more 'audiophile' approach, giving you a taste of the real stuff. While TF10 is more fun focused.
I can't vote between them, that's how hard it is to decide owning both. If I was forced I would probably choose TF10. possibly. :/

I use IEM mostly on the streets, at 80-90% volume. 
For listening at lower volumes and at home i'm buying a black cube + HD650, but this is another topic. TF10 seems to be best choice, then. 

Am I the only one that think customs would be, aehm, not so bad? 

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #9 of 27
my vote goes for the gr07
i own one and i think they have the edge over the gr01 because they are more versatile for more genres of music (more bass)
im not really sure about the tf10- the reasons why i didnt get it when i was deciding between it and the gr07 was because some people dont like the fit, the cable is not the greatest, and the build quality is inferior to the gr07

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #10 of 27
I haven't listened to the Cosmic Ears and RE-262, but TF10 and GR07 are good choices from the list. GR01 is actually pretty good, but you said you want a 'quite present bass', so the other two might be a better fit.

H20Fidelity explained it well. GR07 is good for a natural presentation, while the TFP is something you just want to tap your foot to. 

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #11 of 27
I think i'll go for the TF10, but buying them here in italy is insane, i've to spend more than 250$, best case. 

What about buying them 'very lightly used' here, in the sale section? What should i look for in order to avoid any trouble?

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #12 of 27
If TF10Pro are out of budget or highprice compare to U.S price then i will highly recommend the GR07 for there superb sundquaity for the price and quality punchy bass with fairly wide soundstage, also they built to last long with great cable and user adjustable IEMs nossel(perfect for almost all ear) with lots of tips. The GR01 are even more detailed in mids, hghs with little less punchy bass and soundstage size compare to GR07.

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #13 of 27
Fortunately I've no hurry, i saw good deal for tf10 but it's gone, maybe it's better in this way, i've more time to take a good decision. 

H20Fidelity post kind of convinced me, i need these iem to listen music mostly in noisy places, at high volume.

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #14 of 27
If you need to listen in really noisy places, you're going to be disappointed and deaf with RE262, GR07, TF10, and all other large, plasticky, chunky IEMs. They may sound great but they won't seal as well as a slender IEM like GR01, HF5, or R-50/B2 can. And the custom from CE would isolate the best of all and really save your hearing.

As for your preferred signature of punchy; detailed; bass-present; this would be an area for TF10, GR07, and possibly the custom CE IEM. All the others like GR01, HF5, R-50, X10, B2, RE262, etc. won't give you a fat low end -- though they still could sound great to you, if you're not totally sure how much low-end you like.

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #15 of 27
For me the GR01 has just the right amount of bass. I never find it bass light, but i never find it bass heavy either. I think it is the perfect quantity for rock and metal. Its fast, tight, and punchy and can still dig fairly deep when needed. Its actually quite surprising how much bass they put out when you consider the size of them, they are very tiny. I actually sometimes also listen to electronic music with them as well and its still quite enjoyable. Of course if you like your music with an exagerated bass these will not be enough, but for accuracy and bass quality these are great. The bass is still quite present, its just presented in an accurate manner, not a slow and bloated way. 

As for isolation, its above average with the supplied double flange tips or the foam monster supertips.. Id imagine it would be close to or the same as an etymotic with triple flange tips. 
Quote:
If you need to listen in really noisy places, you're going to be disappointed and deaf with RE262, GR07, TF10, and all other large, plasticky, chunky IEMs. They may sound great but they won't seal as well as a slender IEM like GR01, HF5, or R-50/B2 can. And the custom from CE would isolate the best of all and really save your hearing.

As for your preferred signature of punchy; detailed; bass-present; this would be an area for TF10, GR07, and possibly the custom CE IEM. All the others like GR01, HF5, R-50, X10, B2, RE262, etc. won't give you a fat low end -- though they still could sound great to you, if you're not totally sure how much low-end you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back