SRH840 impression
Sep 25, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #991 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Shure Headphones have now hit Canada at retail stores, for those here who may be interested. Future Shop has the 240 and 440 listed on their web site (and I assume they'll get the 840 eventually also), and Bay and Bloor Radio in Toronto has the 440's now in stock with 240's and 840's due to arrive next week according to the rep.

Aye, the 240s and 440s are in stock in most stores as well. The 840s have been on Future Shop's distributor's order list since mid August... 360 pairs will be spread out across the country at some point!

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #992 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aye, the 240s and 440s are in stock in most stores as well. The 840s have been on Future Shop's distributor's order list since mid August... 360 pairs will be spread out across the country at some point!

440's are listed at FS for $99.99 cdn with free shipping. Now if they could offer the 840's at 170-ish or so, then that would be a good deal and deter the ebay gray market.

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #993 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by techfreakazoid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Post a WTB thread and you might get a few owners willing to sell. There seems to be a WW shortage or the Shure folks underestimated demand.

Unfortunately, it's worth it to me to wait and pay $116 + ship from NLS when these finally materialize. $50+ is a lot to pay for instant gratification in this particular instance.

Sep 26, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #994 of 2,135
I personally got tired of waiting on RMC's back-order and snatched up a pair from a fellow Head-Fi'er.

These 'phones are great for electronic music (BoC, Kuba, Bluetech, Bola, Ishq, etc) as has been stated! And I really don't understand how people can feel they are bass light. I mean, I can, in direct comparison with Denon but I have always felt that Denon's bass in their D2000 and D5000 (have not listened to the 7000s) were too present and too heavy. And that is coming from a self-proclaimed bass head. I think the quality of the 840s bass and presence thereof is spot on.

The 840s are also terrific with Blues. Guitars sound just about perfect and on par with Grados though I have yet to compare directly with my RS1. Piano is nice as well. I find, however, that they fall short with vocals - too cold and somewhat sibilant.

Surprisingly heavy cans. Very solid feeling and very comfy.

I still prefer my heavily modded Q40 with DT880 drivers over the Shures but that comparison is pretty worthless since no one else has heard my fav frankenphone creation. I am certainly impressed by the 840s. I'll probably take mine apart soon just to check out the inner workings but for now I can live with it in stock form and with the stock cable. Surprising since I tend not to like coiled cords.

Very nice offering from Shure.

Sep 28, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #996 of 2,135
WHAT???
67 pages about these cans?
My brother has a pair (who is not exactly an audio enthusiast, let alone an audiophile) and I've never considered them to be that special, certainly not seen as the new 'darlings' on a forum like this one.

I am not an expert by any means and yes they do sound good, but I think not spectacularly good for the money.
I find them a bit tame and dark and this is coming from someone who is pretty sensitive to bright sounds.
The overall sound is comparable to my own (2.5 times cheaper) Audio Technica ATH M40fs's, but darker.
Flat response?
To my ears the upper mids/low treble seem boosted, giving them an edge to vocals, the M40's are better balanced...to my ears that is.

But I am probably the only person who actually finds them good-looking, they are very solid and pretty comfortable to wear.

I shall give them another try when I visit my brother.

(Edit: I can imagine reading my post after all the positive comments about these Shure's it may seem like I am trolling...I am not, but maybe I shouldn't have posted, sorry anyways)

Sep 28, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #997 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally got tired of waiting on RMC's back-order and snatched up a pair from a fellow Head-Fi'er.

These 'phones are great for electronic music (BoC, Kuba, Bluetech, Bola, Ishq, etc) as has been stated! And I really don't understand how people can feel they are bass light. I mean, I can, in direct comparison with Denon but I have always felt that Denon's bass in their D2000 and D5000 (have not listened to the 7000s) were too present and too heavy. And that is coming from a self-proclaimed bass head. I think the quality of the 840s bass and presence thereof is spot on.

The 840s are also terrific with Blues. Guitars sound just about perfect and on par with Grados though I have yet to compare directly with my RS1. Piano is nice as well. I find, however, that they fall short with vocals - too cold and somewhat sibilant.

Surprisingly heavy cans. Very solid feeling and very comfy.

I still prefer my heavily modded Q40 with DT880 drivers over the Shures but that comparison is pretty worthless since no one else has heard my fav frankenphone creation. I am certainly impressed by the 840s. I'll probably take mine apart soon just to check out the inner workings but for now I can live with it in stock form and with the stock cable. Surprising since I tend not to like coiled cords.

Very nice offering from Shure.

How is the bass extension,and punch on the 840s compare to the stock Q40s?From what i read so far they are nicely balanced.And i'm really curious about your modded Q40s.How does the bass compare from the stock to the now present DT880 drivers?And i think you said you preferred one model of the DT990s for bass.So which IYO has the best quality bass for the "bass heads" with no price limit,the DT990,D5000,L3000 or Ultasone Edition 8/9?And have you heard Allen-Health Xone XD-53,which are supposed to be like the Q40s?Supposedly they are a DJ can with excellent frequency reproduction especially in the lows.

Sep 28, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #998 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find them a bit tame and dark and this is coming from someone who is pretty sensitive to bright sounds.
The overall sound is comparable to my own (2.5 times cheaper) Audio Technica ATH M40fs's, but darker.
Flat response?
To my ears the upper mids/low treble seem boosted, giving them an edge to vocals, the M40's are better balanced...to my ears that is.

This makes absolutely no sense. If the upper mids and lower treble are boosted, then the headphone would sound bright instead of dark. If this area has an edge, then how can the headphone sound tame? If this were true, they would sound a bit harsh instead of a bit tame. Now, I agree that they sound dark and tame, but your post contradicts itself.

Sep 29, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #999 of 2,135
No I wouldn't call them harsh, but I can see the contadiction you mention.
What I mean with a boost in the upper mids is a slightly grainy texture in vocals, while the overall sound is dark.
I does sound like my Marantz amp running Acoustic Energy Evo Speakers, an overall laid-back sound signature, but female vocals can sounds pretty grainy at times.

Sep 29, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #1,000 of 2,135
An update with some useful info:

According to my service rep, an "allocation delay" has been placed on my replacement headphones while Shure corrects a "production error". My rep confirmed that this error is holding up stock on ALL new shipments of the 840s. I don't have any more details than that.

Sep 29, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #1,002 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WHAT???
67 pages about these cans?
My brother has a pair (who is not exactly an audio enthusiast, let alone an audiophile) and I've never considered them to be that special, certainly not seen as the new 'darlings' on a forum like this one.

I am not an expert by any means and yes they do sound good, but I think not spectacularly good for the money.
Flat response?

But I am probably the only person who actually finds them good-looking, they are very solid and pretty comfortable to wear.

I shall give them another try when I visit my brother.

(Edit: I can imagine reading my post after all the positive comments about these Shure's it may seem like I am trolling...I am not, but maybe I shouldn't have posted, sorry anyways)

Personally, I think that the 840 sounds pretty average UNAMPED, but when connected to a decent amp and given proper burn in the sound signature changes pretty dramatically.

I think given that they're available for $120 street, they are a pretty incredible set of cans.

Sep 29, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #1,003 of 2,135
I listened to the SRH440 yesterday and compared it to a AH-D1001. In my opinion both sound very similar above 300 Hz. Below that, the Shure lacks bass quantity compared to the Denon. It also doesn't extend down to as low as the Denon does, bass roll-off is some 15 Hz earlier. The result is an overall brighter sound.

edit: The SRH is much heavier as is the coiled cable. Due to that I had the feeling that it could fall off your head easily.

Sep 29, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #1,004 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by kb1gra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I think that the 840 sounds pretty average UNAMPED, but when connected to a decent amp and given proper burn in the sound signature changes pretty dramatically.

I think given that they're available for $120 street, they are a pretty incredible set of cans.

What amp are you connecting it to? I tried the SRH840 out of my Fuze, and then w/ my Woo Audio 6. The difference was there, but very minimal.. definitely not enough of an improvement to justify purchasing an amp.

Also, where are they available for $120? Used ones have been selling for ~$140..

Sep 29, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #1,005 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What amp are you connecting it to? I tried the SRH840 out of my Fuze, and then w/ my Woo Audio 6. The difference was there, but very minimal.. definitely not enough of an improvement to justify purchasing an amp.

Also, where are they available for $120? Used ones have been selling for ~$140..

Northern Light and Sound (you'll have to call to order these) has them for $116 plus shipping. They're out of stock like everyone else, of course, but that's what I paid for mine.

Mine are currently running through a Mini3 amp and UA5 DAC and there is a clear difference through the amp, which is even more pronounced when compared to the 440, which sounds almost the same as the 840 (to me) when unamped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back