SRH840 impression
Sep 15, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #963 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^not me.. what is your source?

I think you may misunderstand what I'm asking. I wasn't suggesting I knew it to be fact, I was asking if anyone had heard if Shure would release a straight cord.

Sep 15, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #965 of 2,135
That is shocking given the clear demand for a high-quality straight cord and the fact that they'd turn an easy profit given a cable's insane mark-up. (Not that I condone charging more for something than it's worth, but how could this not be on Shure's list of easy things to do to improve a product that is already generating a strong cult listenership???)

Sep 15, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #966 of 2,135
it's probably worth noting here that the cord on my 840s broke last week somehow.

My girlfriend was listening to them and asked, "why can I only hear out of one side?"
I checked, and sure enough, the right driver was out. I can make it come back to life by NOT locking the cord into place into the left driver, but even then, the slightest bump would knock out the sound.

I am waiting on a new cord, and Shure has been very responsive, but I'll be looking at other options for a new cord in the future. It's very annoying that they've made an easily replaceable cord really difficult to replace.

Still, I'm not sure I'd call a handful of users on an internet enthusiast's forum a "clear demand", nor am I shocked they haven't offered an alternative cable. I'm just disappointed they crippled the design in the first place.

Sep 15, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #967 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matro5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip> I can make it come back to life but NOT locking the cord into place into the left driver, but even then, the slightest bump would knock out the sound.
<snip>.

That almost sounds more like the jack inside the left earcup is bad rather than the cord. I assume you meant to say

I can make it come back to life by NOT locking the cord into place into the left driver,

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #969 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might be able to answer that. It sounds just a bit too flat, doesn't have that aggressive sound signature something like Grados have. Especially going from the HF-2s to the SRH840s, the 840s just lack the bite that the Grados have, and the HF-2s are much smoother than some of the other Grados (such as the 325i). Make no mistake though, the Shures are nice headphones, just for my head the HF-2 are something special.

It's good that you refer it to SR325i. It can handle many genres very well. And I'm a bit familiar with it (my friend's). It sounds very open but ragged then. At this point, this is where GS1000 (my friend's as well) win hands down... producing even more open sound but in very smooth manner. Comparing to GS1000, SR325 bites too much; like a false/artificial bite.

I used to have SR60... but then I sold it when I found that it cannot do all genre well but rock. Complex classical piece (i.e. Symph 9 Beetboven) sounds dead on SR60. I listen to all genre, thus I appreciate phones that can handle all genre... since I don't really believe on "one genre one phons" (or one genre one speaker) wisdom. Something must be artificial on the SR60.

But laterly, I learn to appreciate closed phone as well after listening how good HD25-1 could be for all genre, provided that I do not compare closed vs open sound cans... I'm really considering to get HD25-1 before SRH840 come to the surface... so now I'm torn between the two. (SRH840 will due in my country around November...)

So azncookiecutter, SRH840 sounds closer to HF2 then to SR325i? I never hear HF2, how HF2 sounds relates to other phones that you have/ever hear?

Thanks,
---
David

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #970 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw1narso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's good that you refer it to SR325i. It can handle many genres very well. And I'm a bit familiar with it (my friend's). It sounds very open but ragged then. At this point, this is where GS1000 (my friend's as well) win hands down... producing even more open sound but in very smooth manner. Comparing to GS1000, SR325 bites too much; like a false/artificial bite.

I used to have SR60... but then I sold it when I found that it cannot do all genre well but rock. Complex classical piece (i.e. Symph 9 Beetboven) sounds dead on SR60. I listen to all genre, thus I appreciate phones that can handle all genre... since I don't really believe on "one genre one phons" (or one genre one speaker) wisdom. Something must be artificial on the SR60.

But laterly, I learn to appreciate closed phone as well after listening how good HD25-1 could be for all genre, provided that I do not compare closed vs open sound cans... I'm really considering to get HD25-1 before SRH840 come to the surface... so now I'm torn between the two. (SRH840 will due in my country around November...)

So azncookiecutter, SRH840 sounds closer to HF2 then to SR325i? I never hear HF2, how HF2 sounds relates to other phones that you have/ever hear?

Thanks,
---
David

Personally never heard the SR-325i, only the MS-2i, which apparently is the more neutral version of the 325s. But comparing the HF-2s to the SRH840, really, they're not at all similar. SRH840 is much thicker (think I can describe it that way), and really, they sound similar to a pair of Sennheisers than Grados.

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #971 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw1narso /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have had the HD25-1's for a couple days now and love the sound signature for everything I listen to (just about everything but country and the more metally rock). The clamping was a little intense at first, but now my ears are completely comfortable and I can wear them for hours. I have newbie ears and have never tried an open headphone, but I love the HD25-1's. I have a pair of Shure SRH840's on the way (well, early October) and can't wait to see how they compare. If you wait a little longer, I can let you know what I find.

Sep 19, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #972 of 2,135
just a quick update - Shure tried to send me a replacement cord, but it was an extension cord, male to female. Frustrating, because I had literally given them the correct product number, and a link to what I ( thought I ) needed, but then they sent the wrong one and claimed they didn't know what to send.

Anyway, they shipped the right one overnight. Even with the error, I still believe Shure has great customer service. But....

The headphones still don't work. The right driver doesn't play unless I hold the cord in a specific place, and even then is spotty. So, likely it's a loose connection somewhere, but I have no idea how to fix it. Even if I could go in and do it myself, that's not what I'd expected for a month of incredibly gentle ownership. We'll see what Shure does. I have a feeling they will take care of me, but its annoying to be without my new headphones for 2 weeks so far.

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #973 of 2,135
Quote:

just a quick update - Shure tried to send me a replacement cord, but it was an extension cord, male to female. Frustrating, because I had literally given them the correct product number, and a link to what I ( thought I ) needed, but then they sent the wrong one and claimed they didn't know what to send.

Anyway, they shipped the right one overnight. Even with the error, I still believe Shure has great customer service. But....

The headphones still don't work. The right driver doesn't play unless I hold the cord in a specific place, and even then is spotty. So, likely it's a loose connection somewhere, but I have no idea how to fix it. Even if I could go in and do it myself, that's not what I'd expected for a month of incredibly gentle ownership. We'll see what Shure does. I have a feeling they will take care of me, but its annoying to be without my new headphones for 2 weeks so far.

I hope you'll find a solution to your problem soon...

Sep 19, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #974 of 2,135
Quote:

I find it rather obvious by now that the problem lies inside the headphone itself, and not the cord. And yet you still want to get a replacement cord, instead of sending in the headphones for repair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back