SRH840 impression
Sep 13, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #946 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok...that's a good start, thanks. I also assume they got more punch in the bass since they are closed can and can be more suited for electronic music?

Plonter, knowing the bass amount that you like, I'm not sure if the SRH840 will have satisfying enough bass for you. If HD650 seemed like it was just a bit short for you in the bass department, 840's aren't going to be that much better... as a matter of fact, I personally think there's less bass quantity wise than 650's. You may be able to change the signature to a bassier one with a right kind of amp, though... but probably not to the level that you're looking for. Overall these have relatively flat response for a closed can. I'm personally using my EF1 with Mullard long plate which brings out the mids bit more and makes their mids more SE530ish, but Tung Sol Black Glass helps with better bass if I want it. As for the 530 comparison, they're definitely more similar than dissimilar, but there are some notable differences... the mids are not as upfront/silky on the 840's and I felt that the 530 did the bass better also in terms of extension (but 840's have much better highs, soundstage, and positioning).

Sep 13, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #947 of 2,135
small update: when amped, SRH840 becomes faster and more full-bodied. When both amped SRH440 and amped SRH840 compared, the SQ difference widens. Unamped, SRH440 is very close to 840, and is faster. But listening from Bluenote CDP > SPL Auditor, SRH840 sounds as fast as SRH440 with the same setup, and exhibits a much smoother and lively sound. The 440 sounds harsh and unrefined in comparison.

Still, I think that SRH440 is an amazing value for the price. For unamped listening.

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #948 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They definitely have good punchy bass in significantly less quantity than the D5000. Also a more prominent midrange and a smoother treble, although they lack the Denon's soundstage and some of the D5000 warmth that is so lovely.

I'm not getting the punchy bass with my ef2 amp. It is probably a function of the Mullards I am using. I will try the russian 6j1p's to try to remedy this without losing too much of the Mullard silkiness. Don't get me wrong, the bass is there and it is of very good quality. I would not call it punchy, however, with my setup. With the Mullards, the mids are forward with treble and bass slightly recessed.

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #949 of 2,135
Or, "punchy" could also be a word used as a synonym for "fast" or "accurate/detailed" and would not mean that the bass is kinda kicking/punching you in the head, as with some headphones.

Sep 13, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #950 of 2,135
anyone have or heard the SE530 and can comment about the bass comparing to them..?
I had the SE530 and I know they are bass monsters, so I am curious about how the SRH840 comparing to them.

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #951 of 2,135
which is better for hip-hop/rap?

the SRH840 or the D2000s?

I'd say electronic is on my list of music I listen to, but I think lately, it's been more hip-hop/rap than anything else.

I also like electronic with rock type music (think radiohead).

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #952 of 2,135
They SRH-840 is pretty good for hip-hop and electronic music. The low-end is fairly polite though, so if you want strong, boomy bass--at least in my opinion--you may want to look elsewhere. Haven't heard the D2000, so I can't comment on those.

Sep 13, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #954 of 2,135
My 840's came alive today. I had originally burned them in with around 100 hours of music. This weekend I further burned them in with around 15 hours of pink noise. I listened today to the Meters' " Look-ka py py ". I thought I had hit the bass boost and was surprised to find all eq was flat. I then listened to Santana "Abraxas" and thought about turning the bass LOWER but really enjoyed the presentation. Finally, I switched to Duffy's Rockferry and again enjoyed really strong bass.

Before this pink noise break-in I thought the mids were forward and bass and highs slightly recessed. My sound has shifted such that bass is now slightly forward - bass lines are very strong and detailled. Bass is multi-noted and distinct. It is easy to hear the difference between thumbed and picked bass on the Meters cd. Mids are now slighty recessed as are highs.

The sound signature is very nice. It is slightly weighted on the bottom but it sounds great. I am just amazed at what a difference those pink noise burn-in hours made.

Sep 14, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #955 of 2,135
This is exactly what I experienced with the 840 and the Pink Noise..
After the Pink Noise, the phones sounded as if this was how it was intended, finished..

I still use them a lot and still think theyare great for jazz and classical..
For rock they are okay, a bit to tame IMO

Sep 15, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #956 of 2,135
@Quinto,

could you elaborate more when you mention that the SRH840 do not "rock" (too tame as you say)... does it don't have sufficient attack, impact or edge?

Do you think that it is because by nature SRH840 is like that, or is it because the synergy with XCan system? (Does XCan rock with other phones?)

I just recall whenever I hear Philips SHE9850, it also able to show that it has the "class" on the sound... but unfortunately is also too polite to rock.. Do you think that SRH840 is like that?

Thanks,
---
David

Sep 15, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #957 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plonter, knowing the bass amount that you like, I'm not sure if the SRH840 will have satisfying enough bass for you. If HD650 seemed like it was just a bit short for you in the bass department, 840's aren't going to be that much better... as a matter of fact, I personally think there's less bass quantity wise than 650's. You may be able to change the signature to a bassier one with a right kind of amp, though... but probably not to the level that you're looking for. Overall these have relatively flat response for a closed can. I'm personally using my EF1 with Mullard long plate which brings out the mids bit more and makes their mids more SE530ish, but Tung Sol Black Glass helps with better bass if I want it. As for the 530 comparison, they're definitely more similar than dissimilar, but there are some notable differences... the mids are not as upfront/silky on the 840's and I felt that the 530 did the bass better also in terms of extension (but 840's have much better highs, soundstage, and positioning).

Thanks K19 ,i guess this is closing the deal for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #958 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw1narso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Quinto,

could you elaborate more when you mention that the SRH840 do not "rock" (too tame as you say)... does it don't have sufficient attack, impact or edge?

Do you think that it is because by nature SRH840 is like that, or is it because the synergy with XCan system? (Does XCan rock with other phones?)

I just recall whenever I hear Philips SHE9850, it also able to show that it has the "class" on the sound... but unfortunately is also too polite to rock.. Do you think that SRH840 is like that?

Thanks,
---
David

I might be able to answer that. It sounds just a bit too flat, doesn't have that aggressive sound signature something like Grados have. Especially going from the HF-2s to the SRH840s, the 840s just lack the bite that the Grados have, and the HF-2s are much smoother than some of the other Grados (such as the 325i). Make no mistake though, the Shures are nice headphones, just for my head the HF-2 are something special.

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #959 of 2,135
I think I might be the only one who loves rocking out on these headphones, but I love the bite of electric guitars and the rumbling of the deepest bass notes that I get from the Shures.

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #960 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I might be the only one who loves rocking out on these headphones, but I love the bite of electric guitars and the rumbling of the deepest bass notes that I get from the Shures.

When you have a pair of Grados, everything changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back