SRH840 impression
Sep 10, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #931 of 2,135
I am running my 840's with an EF2 (w/Mullard 4010's) and v-docked IMOD.

I find the bass to be just about right in volume but could use a touch more weight.
Voices are beautiful - liquid and smooth.
I am getting a little glare / grain in the upper mid's at volume peaks. I am hoping this goes away with additional burn-in (currently around 100 hours of music). I will also swap out my silver lod cable soon to see if that's the culprit.

All-in-all, I am happy with these. I need a closed phone for isolation and don't know of a better option.

Sep 10, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #932 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by dean0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks, been listening for about 2hours now, and the sound signature remains the same, maybe a little more open, which is no bad thing considering I loved the sound before changing the cable.
The recable itself is pretty straight foward, just need a little glue for the headphone band when putting them back together.

Nice job! Not more than 15 minutes ago, I took mine apart to see how difficult a recable would be and if I could go dual entry directly to the drivers. Everything is marked really well on the drivers and the little circuit board. Recabling these should be a snap either way...single entry or dual. I like how the Canare looks going into the opening for the 2.5mm jack. Nice and clean.

Sep 10, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #933 of 2,135
thanks for the comments, I did not take any step by step pics, but here is a small explination of what I done;

- Take of pads, then 3 screws and driver comes out.
- Desolder old wire, make note of the signal and ground
RED Wire = Signal
Yellow Wire = Ground
(everything is very clearley marked inside on a small circuit-board that the 2.5mm jack is connected too) and remove the circuit board/2.5mm jack 2 screws.
- On the headband remove the 2 screws either side and the clips will pull off, and carefully slide the leather band back a little to remove the old cable, and slide new one in. Add a touch of glue before reasembling the headband, make sure it can be used with leather!
- The entry holes either side need to be slightly enlarged to accept larger cable.
- When soldering drivers be carefull!
- The main cable entry has been held with hot-glue on the inside, can use small cable tie, but ive found in the past this can cause vibration.

dean0

Sep 10, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #934 of 2,135
Excellent! Thanks! So the cable slides freely through the headband without bunching up? I was worried that it would not pass though the band easily.

Sep 10, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #935 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent! Thanks! So the cable slides freely through the headband without bunching up? I was worried that it would not pass though the band easily.

plenty of room, you could could parked a bus in there
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #937 of 2,135
I am really surprised from the price of this can (didn't listen to them though...)
but for a "flagship" of a manufacturer like shure it is not a lot...
Although I read here some good comments about them,I would like to hear more about their bass quantity compared to the HD650.
Some say they are bass light and some say that they have anough...I am confused, and until I have the chance to listen to them myself I would like to read some more comments about it.

Do they sound like the SE530 bass wise?... If yes than they should have enough bass.

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #939 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they have more bass than the hd650 in terms of quantity.. quality is arguable, i prefer the hd650 bass through my wa6

ok...that's a good start, thanks. I also assume they got more punch in the bass since they are closed can and can be more suited for electronic music?

Sep 11, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #941 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes they definitely have more punch and better suited for trance/electronic imo

thanks. their price is a steal, I am thinking of getting a pair of another closed can that will still have huge bass but maybe a tiny bit less than the mighty AH-D5000. The denons are too bass heavy in certain genres and recordings (almost all that is not electronic) so I am looking for a more all arounder.

The HD650 bass is great...but it is too soft for electronic and is more suited (IMO ofcourse) to all other genres.

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #943 of 2,135
They definitely have good punchy bass in significantly less quantity than the D5000. Also a more prominent midrange and a smoother treble, although they lack the Denon's soundstage and some of the D5000 warmth that is so lovely.

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #944 of 2,135
They suit excellently for electronic music. I started liking Goldfrapp again
smily_headphones1.gif

"Black Cherry" sounds especially good. All synth tracks are perfectly executed and have presence and body and yet retain an accurate nature. Not perfect in terms of accurate note reproduction though..

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #945 of 2,135
Kind of OT, but what headphones would I be looking to upgrade to if I like these? Do they sound that much better?

Also what kind of speakers? Or can I just ask in the speaker forum for speakers that don't color the sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back