SRH840 impression
Jul 8, 2009 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,135

Quinto

Headphoneus Supremus
Got my Shure SRH840 today
biggrin.gif

The only closed can I owned was the D2000, which I didn´t really like.. Bass was to much for me, the mids not there and the treble so so..

I tried the Shure SE530pth because I needed a sealed can for blocking the TV, but in/ear wasn´t for me.. I did like the sound though

I considered the ATH/M50, but just before I pulled the trigger I found out about the Shure SRH series.. so with the sound of the SE530 in my mind I ordered the STH840 yesterday..

First thing I noticed was the cord sticking out, which is IMO quite annoying, so I put two tyrap´s around it

I hooked the Shure on my X/Can/V8, feeding straight out of my pc into my X/Can DAC..
Straight out of the box the bass was flubby, seperation kindof awful, treble sounded pretty good though.. I knew this is to be expected straight out of the box so no concerns here
redface.gif

About five hours later it is already a other headphone.. Bass straightened out fairly well, the mids are clear and.. I think the word is lush, treble is very good, not harsh but with great detail.

It´s a comfy headphone, get´s a bit warm though..Isolation in and out is very good.. From what I remember from my SE530 the sound signature seems similar, but I have no means for direct comparison, so, I´m not shure
Much better then what I remember from my D2000 I´m happy to say..

I give some more impressions after 100~hours, I think I might love this headphone in the nearby future

P7081931.jpg
P7081932.jpg
P7081933.jpg
P7081935.jpg
[/IMG]

Jul 8, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 2,135
So where's the best vendor online to pick up a pair of these puppies? The cheaper the better, but I suppose it should be from a reputable source. (I'm from Canada, but don't suppose there's a supplied canuck retailer yet.) How much did they cost, if you don't mind me asking, Quinto?

Jul 8, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #7 of 2,135
I note that iHeadphones in the UK which initially indicated that they would sell them for £150 (rrp £180) now puts them at £120, although they don't have stock yet. That said, other shops seem to suggest the rrp is £220... I wonder what that's about.

I look forward to reading more impressions.

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So where's the best vendor online to pick up a pair of these puppies? The cheaper the better, but I suppose it should be from a reputable source. (I'm from Canada, but don't suppose there's a supplied canuck retailer yet.) How much did they cost, if you don't mind me asking, Quinto?

I paid 199 euro, incl. shipping..

The Netherlands are not the place to buy cheap so I buy abroad most of the times..

A Dutch website had these already in stock, so...

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #9 of 2,135
Dang, I don't really like how the cable is kind of flailing off to the side of the cup either.
Hm, I'm interested though and I'd love to hear more impressions as you listen longer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #11 of 2,135
that looks cool. Never expect to be able to buy it this early. It seems shure, unlike some other brands, does not do delays.

Jul 8, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #12 of 2,135
thought about these ... really did; great price ... spoke with the W.Canada Shure rep too. then, yesterday, almost pulled the trigger on the k702 until i stumbled across the news from ttvj ... this a.m. ordered the head-f1s instead...my poor wallet, indeed.

congrats, Quinto

Jul 8, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #13 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think the post I had seen about the early sales was someone from Earphonesolutions.com. They're a sponsor plus Shure authorized dealer. I think they have free shipping to Canada above ~$100 or so. I didn't see the HP's on their site, but you could probably email them and they'd let you know; they're quite helpful.

Jul 8, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #14 of 2,135
Yeah! Headphone Solutions seems like the way to go as they offer free shipping (albeit without insurance--should I be worried?). They are pre-ordering at $199.99. Does anyone know of any cheaper vendor of the SRH-840's? Pretty excited to try out a pair!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back