SRH840 impression
Oct 2, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #1,021 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So is there any way I can get these babies for 129 or not?

RMCaudio does a "quote your own price" deal. I got mine there for $129, but I ordered over two months ago. No idea if they will go that low anymore. Most folks are selling for $199 since the supply has been so iffy. I emailed a couple before finally getting mine about price matching, but no one would bite since so few people had them in stock.

Also, while not $130, some of our sponsors have been known to give percentages off just for asking.

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #1,023 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So is there any way I can get these babies for 129 or not?

In addition to requesting a quote from RMC Audio, you could contact Northern Sound & Light for a price quote, which (at one point) also offered a steep discount. Like FraGGler, I have no idea if that's still going to happen, though.

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #1,024 of 2,135
NSL offered me a $116 price two weeks ago, but were out of stock. I spoke to Chris if it helps. Shipping was I think $8 on top of that.

They don't hold either the 440 or 840 in stock so they pretty much charge you cost.

Oct 3, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #1,025 of 2,135
Somebody tested these shures sounds with nokia xpressmusic, or beresford tc-7520 dac??
i get soon these cans
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #1,026 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Huubert- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Somebody tested these shures sounds with nokia xpressmusic, or beresford tc-7520 dac??
i get soon these cans
smily_headphones1.gif

I've tried them with Nokia 5800 Xpress Music and they sound decent out of that.

Oct 3, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #1,027 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I FINALLY have my pair! Oh glorious day. I am not a patient person so the last 2 months have been hell. Well, with zero burn in, I am very happy with the sound and am interested in how they might sound after a couple days of pink noise. The band sits on my head way differently than I was expecting. These looked so similar to my Sony MDR-V600's that I expected them to be basically the same, just way better. I think these look rather stupid on my head, but then again, I didn't get them to make a fashion statement (That is what Audio Technicas are for). The band telescopes away from the sides of my head I guess to get more leverage for the clamping that I am trying to get used to/hoping will loosen up.

Quality of construction is solid, although the exposed wires make me a little nervous, particularly because of how tight they pull when the cups are fully extended from the band.

I am very happy that I did not take a step back in SQ from my HD25-1 II's. I got a similar sound signature, but with a bigger soundstage. EXACTLY what I was hoping for. Big shout out to Koven for keeping me on track.

Only problem I might have is I just saw pictures of a possible DJ styled headset from Shure that look SWEET. If they sound like the SRH840's, then I am afraid I might start obsessing anew. Now to sell the extra pair I have.

Good to hear all of that from someone who has owned the HD25-1. I just received the package yesterday but haven't quite opened it yet, but the HD25 will definitely be a baseline though when I get to it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #1,028 of 2,135
I think I liked the bass from the HD25-1's a little better, but the detail and soundstage definitely have improved. I hear that the SRH840's bass tightens up after 100 hours or so, so I am not quite there yet.

And how can you not rip into a new toy as soon as you get the package? I almost got into an accident on my way home because I was so excited.

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #1,031 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by C.Willy32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How portable are these? They don't look very portable from the pictures, but looks can be deceiving.

Very portable when compared to full sized headphones. But certainly not pocket sized.

They roll up into a pretty compact arrangement.

Oct 4, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #1,032 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gossling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do these headphones do with all types of classical music? Would I be better off with a closed full-size headphone or an IEM (RE0, ER4P) for orchestral, chamber, choral, piano, etc.?

I love these so far for classical. I have been listening to FLAC rips of the Amadeus soundtrack, Mendelsohn's violin concerto in E, and David Helfgott's recording of the Rachmaninoff piano concerto no. 3, and I think it does quite well with all of them. While obviously not an open headset, I think the soundstage is pretty good. Across the whole range of sound, I find everything to be just right. It might not sound light and airy like a K701, but I like it better that way. I like my classical to have some weight to it. But moreso than any other type of music, the recording itself will dictate how much you enjoy classical. If you are listening to a 1950 recording of Don Giovanni, there is only so much hi-fidelity you can get out of it, no matter how brilliant the performance.

I love these with classical. In fact, the only genre that isn't quite so hot is rock, but I rarely listen to that any more. I listen to mostly classical, vocal jazz (Norah Jones), and electronic/house. The best thing about them is they require no amping to sound great. I still want to try the K702 one day, but not only do I need $300 for the headphones, but probably at least another $300-600 to make them sound good. Hard to do better than the $150ish if costs to get the SRH840's.

As for portability, they are definitely better than something like the full-sized Audio Technicas and any other non-folding headset, but they fold up larger than I was expecting (larger than the Sony studio headphones I am used to). Still trying to find a hardcase that fits them. For full-sized headphones, they are pretty darn good. Sturdy too.

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #1,034 of 2,135
Well, mine just arrived from RMC Audio after that extended hiatus. Out of the box impressions? Supremely comfortable, but lacking in bass weight. I much prefer my well-broken-in ATH-M50s right now. My intended (and only) use for these is unamped through a Sansa Fuze, so it could easily be a source/power issue, but I've hooked the SRH840s up to my pink noise burn-in station, and I'm hopeful they'll undergo changes akin to the ones detailed below:

Quote:

Originally Posted by setamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 840's came alive today. I had originally burned them in with around 100 hours of music. This weekend I further burned them in with around 15 hours of pink noise. I listened today to the Meters' " Look-ka py py ". I thought I had hit the bass boost and was surprised to find all eq was flat. I then listened to Santana "Abraxas" and thought about turning the bass LOWER but really enjoyed the presentation. Finally, I switched to Duffy's Rockferry and again enjoyed really strong bass.

Before this pink noise break-in I thought the mids were forward and bass and highs slightly recessed. My sound has shifted such that bass is now slightly forward - bass lines are very strong and detailled. Bass is multi-noted and distinct. It is easy to hear the difference between thumbed and picked bass on the Meters cd. Mids are now slighty recessed as are highs.

The sound signature is very nice. It is slightly weighted on the bottom but it sounds great. I am just amazed at what a difference those pink noise burn-in hours made.

We'll see...

Oct 5, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #1,035 of 2,135
Wow. Same sound signature as the HD25's possess? I really don't think so. I mean, to each his own, but you could also be saying that HD800 has the sound signature of Grados..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back