SRH840 impression
Oct 7, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #1,052 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by kb1gra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both...I'd say that unamped the ATH-M50s sound much better, and scale nicely with an amp if you did decide to go that way.

Thanks! Good tip. Are the M50's relatively comfortable?

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #1,053 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelly Hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! Good tip. Are the M50's relatively comfortable?

Yes. Although less so than the SRH-840s, I find them quite comfortable, even for sustained periods of time.

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #1,054 of 2,135
M50s are pretty comfortable. I found they got a lot more comfortable when I cut some rings of high density foam and put them behind the circular earpads. There's room enough behind them to put 1/4" foam, and it really did improve the comfort a lot.

here's a picture of what I mean, showing the foam. Note these also have the custom headband cover because they are too big for my head
smily_headphones1.gif
They're also on my head in my avatar picture.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...e/IMG_0426.jpg

Here's the pads, the one on the left has the foam in it, the one on the right is stock. Sorry, the flash on my camera stinks.

IMG_0427.jpg

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #1,055 of 2,135
I like them, I use them for when i play my guitar through an amp. I dont find them comfortable to wear for music. They are too heavy. Earpads get really hot. Also, I think the sound coming from my SennHD485s is nicer...80 bucks vs 200 >.>

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #1,057 of 2,135
If you do go for M50s, I got mine for $98.99 shipped from NationwideProAudio on eBay...they shipped fast, and they're an authorized dealer.

The foam, should you decide to do it, shouldn't cost you more than $5. If you decide you want to do it PM me and I'll send you a PDF template to trace the foam circles.

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #1,060 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except that the Laughing man was a mastermind criminal, stole billions, and killed people.
beyersmile.png
But I definitely get what you are saying. Ironically, it is usually the advice I give. I think I saw Electropop's post at precisely the wrong moment.

To happy listening!
beerchug.gif

Hehe, absolutely no problem at all
smily_headphones1.gif
I did evaluate the aforementioned post I did as completely of no use to anyone since it did seem very ignorant and pompous

But I'm sure you'll have no problems expliciting what you hear in the short future. It's all about the amount of reference you have and what also helps is that if you already have that "ideal" sound you're looking for. This helps at least with mellowing the effect of false statements due to the preliminary enthusiasm (aka. new-toy-syndrome). I have that now, even after 2 weeks of owning my new stereo system (Linn Majik 109 & Linn Classik Music), becaus it represents now (finally!) what I like about sound reproduction: music!
smily_headphones1.gif
Wasn't so hyped on the SRH840s at first but they do the job as fine portables and I've even learned to enjoy them.

But as I said, with your articulate posting and growing reference, I'm sure you'll sound very coherent and sensible about your observations.
beerchug.gif

What has helped me is the way I listen to music. I really listen to music and a lot. I've given it absolute value. So when I'm at home and put on some music, it's not playing as background entertainment, I listen to the tunes per se. I know this is rather freaky, but I can't even read or watch television at the same time, not to mention to use the computer
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #1,061 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What has helped me is the way I listen to music. I really listen to music and a lot. I've given it absolute value. So when I'm at home and put on some music, it's not playing as background entertainment, I listen to the tunes per se. I know this is rather freaky, but I can't even read or watch television at the same time, not to mention to use the computer
smily_headphones1.gif

I am there with you. For background noise, any old headphones will do. What drew me here is that I knew I had to be missing something. I was, and am ecstatic with what I have found. In some ways I don't want any more reference points since I don't want to know how "deficient" my current headphones are. While I have spent total what some people spend on interconnects, it was a lot of money when I don't have much and it has been worth the world to me. I can't wait until I have income again and can start listening to more phones and even move beyone a Fiio E5 as an amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #1,062 of 2,135
The thing is, that around the point where SRH840s stand, it's more a matter of taste really. I've heard many much more expensive phones that don't do it for me and some (ie. Edition 9) that I absolutely detest. So what I'm saying is that it's good that you're happy with your setup and can, with good conscience, enjoy the music knowing that there might not even be a better sounding can for your ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #1,063 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by musick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SRH-840s comparison to Beyer DT770s. Similar price range. Might replace the beyers with the Shures because of the amp...

I demoed the DT770s alongside the SRH840s when I bought the 840s.

To my untrained ear, the DT770 has more bass but it is significantly looser, almost flabby in comparison to the 840. I liked the more neutral sound of the 840s.

The DT770 were significantly more comfortable though.

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #1,064 of 2,135
Got these today after ordering in July. Couldn't pass up the RMC price and w/ the HF2s, I wasn't in a rush.

1) Whoa, these are MASSIVE on my head. I was planning on these being airplane cans but I'd have to be comfortable w/ the moose look.
2) Comfort is slightly better than my HF2's and 325i's. Agreed, the DT770s are way more comfortable.
3) Impressive isolation, pretty quiet w/ them on.
4) I like all the extras you get in the box.
5) Definitely different from Grados. The highs seem to have potential, including the possible separation of instruments. Bass is pretty solid. However, it doesn't wow me right now. It seems like the mids are recessed and there's something holding it back from providing more detail, if that makes any sense. I seem to be hearing a bit of clipping, even at mid volumes too.

Time for some burn in.

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #1,065 of 2,135
should I wait for the prices to be down again at the end of the year? They all cost like $199 from gooling it. Any suggestion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back