SRH840 impression
Sep 30, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #1,008 of 2,135
My replacements just showed up, the day after Shure told me they were backordered. The rep said she would email me with more info when she had it, but instead, I guess she just tracked down a pair instead? A nice surprise.

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #1,009 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anvil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, looks like I just got an order confirmation from RMC today. Maybe they're close to shipping?

Yep. I just got word mine will be shipping today.
biggrin.gif

roker, "RMC" is RMC Audio.

Sep 30, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #1,011 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana1000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the bass extension,and punch on the 840s compare to the stock Q40s?From what i read so far they are nicely balanced.And i'm really curious about your modded Q40s.How does the bass compare from the stock to the now present DT880 drivers?And i think you said you preferred one model of the DT990s for bass.So which IYO has the best quality bass for the "bass heads" with no price limit,the DT990,D5000,L3000 or Ultasone Edition 8/9?And have you heard Allen-Health Xone XD-53,which are supposed to be like the Q40s?Supposedly they are a DJ can with excellent frequency reproduction especially in the lows.

Q40 has better extension in the bass and more bass quantity. The bass on the Q40 is also a bit tighter to my ears. SRH840 has less bass, but this makes it more balanced since Q40 bass is a bit over the top.

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #1,012 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anvil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, looks like I just got an order confirmation from RMC today. Maybe they're close to shipping?

Got my fedex tracking number a couple hours ago! I ordered in late JULY. At least I am getting them for $129. Have to return a pair that I just ordered from soundearphones.com for $180, but they have already said I won't be charged the restocking fee if I return it without opening the package. I am just out shipping. Both companies have been great to work with. Shure is the one that completely botched the launch of these phones.

Can't wait!

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #1,013 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally got tired of waiting on RMC's back-order and snatched up a pair from a fellow Head-Fi'er.

These 'phones are great for electronic music (BoC, Kuba, Bluetech, Bola, Ishq, etc) as has been stated! And I really don't understand how people can feel they are bass light. I mean, I can, in direct comparison with Denon but I have always felt that Denon's bass in their D2000 and D5000 (have not listened to the 7000s) were too present and too heavy. And that is coming from a self-proclaimed bass head. I think the quality of the 840s bass and presence thereof is spot on.

The 840s are also terrific with Blues. Guitars sound just about perfect and on par with Grados though I have yet to compare directly with my RS1. Piano is nice as well. I find, however, that they fall short with vocals - too cold and somewhat sibilant.

Surprisingly heavy cans. Very solid feeling and very comfy.

I still prefer my heavily modded Q40 with DT880 drivers over the Shures but that comparison is pretty worthless since no one else has heard my fav frankenphone creation. I am certainly impressed by the 840s. I'll probably take mine apart soon just to check out the inner workings but for now I can live with it in stock form and with the stock cable. Surprising since I tend not to like coiled cords.

Very nice offering from Shure.

Please let us (me) know what you find when you take it apart or, in particular, replace the cable. I don't mind a coiled cable for home use, but if I take them with me to the library as planned, I already know I will hate it because the Sony MDR-V600 have a coiled cord, and I find it quite irritating.

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #1,014 of 2,135
FINALLY. Got my order finalized w/ RMC today and should be shipping shortly. I also waited since July but wasn't in a rush since I already have my HF2s. These should be interesting to use.

Oct 1, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #1,015 of 2,135
Finally received mine. I bought them from a local electronics dealer in Denville NJ, Lashen Electronics. They are a Shure retailer so I got them at $159. They do have a website and they are listed at $199 there. I walked in the store one day a couple of months ago and they quoted me $159.

They sound pretty good right out the box, but I did a quick 1-2 comparison against my Denon AH-D2000's. I know it's too early to tell with the Shures not being completely broken in but my 1st impression was that the Shures had better mids (or upper mids), about the same treble. The bass wasn't as deep as the D2000s, sounded tight though. Overall the D2000's sound more pleasing, more dynamic. The Shures don't wow me as much in that I think they are more neutral. I will give more impressions as I live with them a little while and burn them in. They definitely block out more, and leak less than the Denons. They look like they're made well, but I don't like the wires hanging out.

Oct 1, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #1,018 of 2,135
I FINALLY have my pair! Oh glorious day. I am not a patient person so the last 2 months have been hell. Well, with zero burn in, I am very happy with the sound and am interested in how they might sound after a couple days of pink noise. The band sits on my head way differently than I was expecting. These looked so similar to my Sony MDR-V600's that I expected them to be basically the same, just way better. I think these look rather stupid on my head, but then again, I didn't get them to make a fashion statement (That is what Audio Technicas are for). The band telescopes away from the sides of my head I guess to get more leverage for the clamping that I am trying to get used to/hoping will loosen up.

Quality of construction is solid, although the exposed wires make me a little nervous, particularly because of how tight they pull when the cups are fully extended from the band.

I am very happy that I did not take a step back in SQ from my HD25-1 II's. I got a similar sound signature, but with a bigger soundstage. EXACTLY what I was hoping for. Big shout out to Koven for keeping me on track.

Only problem I might have is I just saw pictures of a possible DJ styled headset from Shure that look SWEET. If they sound like the SRH840's, then I am afraid I might start obsessing anew. Now to sell the extra pair I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back