Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Dec 1, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #3,526 of 9,173
us$380, with balanced cable and 3 month warranty, about 2km from my house.  Should I do it ?  I`ve been on the fence about these for 2 bloody months . . . 

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #3,527 of 9,173
  us$380, with balanced cable and 3 month warranty, about 2km from my house.  Should I do it ?  I`ve been on the fence about these for 2 bloody months . . . 

Sorry if I sound patronizing as I have no intention to but if you've been on the fence for that long and nothing has stolen your interest then it appears you are interested in the headphones themselves rather than the hype. Plus used stuff in Japan is normally really well looked after and tend to be pristine so 380 is a really good price. I'd do it.

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #3,528 of 9,173
That's a Heck of a price for these I would say jump all over that one!!!

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #3,529 of 9,173

Sorry if I sound patronizing as I have no intention to but if you've been on the fence for that long and nothing has stolen your interest then it appears you are interested in the headphones themselves rather than the hype. Plus used stuff in Japan is normally really well looked after and tend to be pristine so 380 is a really good price. I'd do it.

Now here is a rational voice.  Actually, 2 weeks ago I mustered all my strength and made a deciision : I bought the Beyer T51p, which are great/exactly what I need.  

However,  they have done nothing to relieve the irrational desire for the Z7, which I guess makes them my bad girl of headphones. . . . 

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #3,530 of 9,173
^ Agreed! My favourite version is kd Lang's.

+1 for sure. I don't often get weepy eyed when listening to songs, but.her live rendition (during the olympic opening ceeremonies no less!) slays me:

[VIDEO]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7oZN2eTgvVs[/VIDEO]

Dec 1, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #3,533 of 9,173
I had a chance to have a very brief listen to theses can's at Can-Con Sydney yesterday, and for "first time" headphones I listen to at this meet, like AKG k812, Oppo PM-1, Fostex TH600, and Audeze LCD-XC, the Sony MDR-Z7 were my pick of the crop for sound and comfort, the LCD-XC would of been my pick but just too uncomfortably heavy to enjoy unfortunately

MDR-Z7 have a similar laidback sound like the HD650, but different, I just can't put my finger on it. However I can't wait to have another listen, hopefully sooner than later

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #3,534 of 9,173
As a T51P owner myself, I am amazed there hasn't been more hoopla about them on HeadFi. They are simply amazing headphones, regardless of their small size and "portable" moniker. Punchy, dynamic, detailed and easy to drive. What more could you ask for? However, I am an even happier man with the T51P's and Z7's!

Cheers!

Dec 2, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #3,536 of 9,173
I think if they make the high end a little brighter in a MkII they will get some serious success. That high end dip is hurting it, people see that and don't even want to try.

You're right on track with this. That high end dip is seriously preventing me for trying these :)

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #3,537 of 9,173
Replaced the 2x stereo plugs on the balanced cable with 4-pin Neutrik XLR
As this will be used mainly with Oppo HA-1 amp, make more sense to change the plug to the more commonly used 4-pin XLR

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #3,538 of 9,173
  You're right on track with this. That high end dip is seriously preventing me for trying these :)

You are kinda right in doing so, only about half the music I listen to has that high end clash, bright recordings and stuff.
Any of the cymbal work that make it before the dip is really quite nice tho. 

Since they are $600~ that is a bit beyond play money for most.

I still love mine tho and since my hearing is still kinda ok, the softer treble doesn't bother me much when the rest is so crisp. 

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #3,539 of 9,173
Mine are growing on me a lot, now I've added a bit of damping. It is hard not to want to listen with them especially given the comfort.

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #3,540 of 9,173
  Mine are growing on me a lot, now I've added a bit of damping. It is hard not to want to listen with them especially given the comfort.

Hi Currawong, does your PanAmp pair well with the Z7? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back