Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Dec 4, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #3,556 of 9,173
Even though it is easily driven by portable amp/DAP, I enjoy the most running them from my Oppo HA-1 amp, plugged-in from the balanced out as I re-terminated the stock 2x 3.5mm balanced plugs to the more commonly used 4-pin XLR plug.

Some that have auditioned the Z7 in store driven by Sony own portable balanced amp also agreed that the amp doesn't really do justice to the can. I felt that the bass slam is not as clean and sound wobbly and boomy with the Sony amp.

Do try it at home using your own desktop amp.

Dec 4, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #3,557 of 9,173
the sony amp didnt do justice to the sony can?...duhhhzzz, someone's gonna lose his job :) 
i did like the sound out from my E18+sansaclip :p

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #3,558 of 9,173
Yes, as I said earlier that I really don't like the sound coming from PHA-3 + Z7 in store, OK I just can't stand how they sound. IMO, Sony did a poor job on making PHA-3 a good enough DAC to pair with Z7. My $550 Denon DA-300USB and $799 MARANTZ HD-DAC1 can do a much much better job than the $999 PHA-3 in store. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #3,561 of 9,173
I was thinking the exact same thing

Dec 5, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #3,563 of 9,173
Hmm, are you sure? I mean, why would they do that?

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #3,565 of 9,173
The sales guy may have been intimidated as I knew more about the Sony lineup than he did.  Obviously not a fellow head-fiier.  It also may have been the source as it was a Walkman of some type playing terrible music.  I guess it needs another chance.  This being my first 500 dollar plus buy would the Alpha Dog be a better choice?  I do love the bass.

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #3,566 of 9,173
  The sales guy may have been intimidated as I knew more about the Sony lineup than he did.  Obviously not a fellow head-fiier.  It also may have been the source as it was a Walkman of some type playing terrible music.  I guess it needs another chance.  This being my first 500 dollar plus buy would the Alpha Dog be a better choice?  I do love the bass.

With no experince with the alpha, I do have the bland stock t50rp, the Z7 for me has displayed more sonic sweetness at times than any headphone before it. Every other headphone I own simply produces sound, this is different. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #3,567 of 9,173
I suggest taking your best portable setup in and trying the headphone with your rig and music. For me even though my phone is not as good as my desktop rig, I knew if the sound of the Z7 was good from there I would be OK when I got home and hooked it up to my best configuration. Having said all this, what are your currently using for music? Depending on what your current headphone/IEM is the Z7 may simply not sound good because your brain is used to a different signature. I came from a bright headphone/IEM background but just happened to have spent a week reviewing a bass oriented IEM before I heard the Z7 so was able to appreciate the signature of the Z7. But when I first started to listen to a warm signature I fund it incredibly dull and congested, especially the IEM I was reviewing as it had even more bass and was even more polite in the treble as compared to the Z7. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back