Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Dec 8, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #3,572 of 9,173
there is a post in the z7 thread, think it is held down by a screw or two. 
It is roundish...5 fingers wide.. lengthwise n  widthwise...according to mine..:p

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #3,576 of 9,173
I think I have found the ultimate demo disk for this headphone.
Eagles - Hotel California.

This recording comes out beautifully bright and deep all in one, its beyond fantastic.
Using my Winamp bar graph visualisation, it looks like there is some decent range on this recording too.
I am using the CD with my SONY PHA-1 DAC.

09 - The Last Resort ...started to bring a tear to my eye. 

Dec 9, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #3,577 of 9,173
Just using the SE of AK240 as a source at the moment, these Sony MDR-Z7so are so enjoyable!

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #3,578 of 9,173
I think I have found the ultimate demo disk for this headphone.

Eagles - Hotel California.

This recording comes out beautifully bright and deep all in one, its beyond fantastic.

Using my Winamp bar graph visualisation, it looks like there is some decent range on this recording too.

I am using the CD with my SONY PHA-1 DAC.

09 - The Last Resort ...started to bring a tear to my eye. 

Good rec........and then I tried my all time favorite Eagles song "One of These Nights"...........awesomeness.

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #3,579 of 9,173
I have a little taste of Eagle's pretty much daily, they really do sound awesome on the Z7. Follow that album up with Fleetwood Mac's Rumours :). I find the Z7 works well with pretty much any genre but works especially well with older rock music like these albums followed by classical music and jazz.

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #3,580 of 9,173
Looked for some Fleetwood Mac at the second hand store, nothing much.
Most CD's I buy are used $5 - 7.

Originally Posted by hemtmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just using the SE of AK240 as a source at the moment, these Sony MDR-Z7so are so enjoyable!

Nice to see another fellow Aussie with these. I bought mine for the full $800 here, they are now just under $600 on eBay. 

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #3,581 of 9,173
Nice to see another fellow Aussie with these. I bought mine for the full $800 here, they are now just under $600 on eBay. 

I first heard them from Chatswood Westfield Sony kiosk and was quite impressed. I got them thru PriceJapan for abt 570 aud

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #3,582 of 9,173
I first heard them from Chatswood Westfield Sony kiosk and was quite impressed. I got them thru PriceJapan for abt 570 aud

I must admit a bit of fanboy-ism on my part, I had to have them Day 1.
Truth of the matter is, not a single SONY product of mine over the years has broken.

Hell, I even bought these late 80's speakers second hand and still work like new.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/Mickice/DSC04271_zpsace1f6eb.jpg
(Made in Japan)

You'll have to back me up on this, but the Z7 has very special sonic qualities you won't find in a general pair of headphones?

Dec 9, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #3,583 of 9,173
Been reading through this thread off and on for a while.

I like Sony products but its a pity the signature doesn't sound like it'd be my cup of tea..
I usually prefer Ushaped cans for electronic music; my Ultrasone Sig DJs are pretty much the perfect sig. Loved my TH600s too when I had them, crazy good clean sub bass and amazing detail/treble sparkle.

The thing is when I'm wearing my SigDJs all day at the office they do get uncomfortable and I have to shift them around quite often or have breaks without them.
These Sony's look SUPER comfy but I generally dislike headphones with treble that's pulled back too far (even M-100s to me sounded like they had pillows over the drivers). And also seems to be mixed reports about the bass on the Z7s.. inflated mid bass but not super tight and don't go super low in the sub?

It's just so hard to find the perfect closed back headphone (at any price). Sig DJs with TH600 comfort or TH600/900 with Sig DJ isolation would be it.
I'm very interested in the Pandora Hope VI too, look nice and sound like they'd be my cup of tea but again comfort could be an issue. Only other I can think of is Shure 1540 but I'm not a fan of Shure and they sound/look mediocre.

Sorry, /end ramble ...

Dec 9, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #3,584 of 9,173
Been reading through this thread off and on for a while.

I like Sony products but its a pity the signature doesn't sound like it'd be my cup of tea..
I usually prefer Ushaped cans for electronic music; my Ultrasone Sig DJs are pretty much the perfect sig. Loved my TH600s too when I had them, crazy good clean sub bass and amazing detail/treble sparkle.

The thing is when I'm wearing my SigDJs all day at the office they do get uncomfortable and I have to shift them around quite often or have breaks without them.
These Sony's look SUPER comfy but I generally dislike headphones with treble that's pulled back too far (even M-100s to me sounded like they had pillows over the drivers). And also seems to be mixed reports about the bass on the Z7s.. inflated mid bass but not super tight and don't go super low in the sub?

It's just so hard to find the perfect closed back headphone (at any price). Sig DJs with TH600 comfort or TH600/900 with Sig DJ isolation would be it.
I'm very interested in the Pandora Hope VI too, look nice and sound like they'd be my cup of tea but again comfort could be an issue. Only other I can think of is Shure 1540 but I'm not a fan of Shure and they sound/look mediocre.

Sorry, /end ramble ...
I think you should have a listen if possible. These have recessed treble compared to something like the AKG K7x line but are not as recessed as most bass oriented products I have heard including cheaper Sony headphone/IEM's. The treble in these also improved with use and the bass settled down as well.

Dec 9, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #3,585 of 9,173
Is there anyone out there that owns both the Z7 and the Sony MDR-7520 headphones that can compare in great depth?  

I like my 7520's which I have had modded to both cups with Whiplash Hybrid cable and recently changed the pads to a pair of Beyer velour pads which really improved the SQ to the stock pads but am to intrigued how these Z7's would sound with my ZX1 Walkman going through the Chord Hugo.  

Only headphone I had recently by Sony that disappointed me was the MDR-1R so hope the signature does not resemble that too much.  And only reason I got the 7520's was to replace the unfortunate poorer EU release of the Z1000 which had too light bass depth and unforgiving treble piercing which the 7520's corrected. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back