Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
May 9, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #8,701 of 9,173
Just picked up a set of as-new Z7 un-modded by airmail, and wonder if anyone is running them straight out a sub-$500 DAP balanced mode with good synergy for a baseline decent sound.
I know an add-on amp would probably be needed later as well to get the best out of them...but looking for a really simple player I can pocket and move around with at the moment with 2.5" TRRS. :beerchug:

May 9, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #8,702 of 9,173
I had an LHlabs DAC for my iMac and it was great; for about $350. I think they’re out of business.
I play my Z7’s without a DAC right now and I’m ok with the sound. Just like my iPhone.
DAC’s improve the sound for sure. Just enjoy these cans with whatever you can run them trough.
Welcome thanks the club:0)

May 9, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #8,703 of 9,173
I had an LHlabs DAC for my iMac and it was great; for about $350. I think they’re out of business.
I play my Z7’s without a DAC right now and I’m ok with the sound. Just like my iPhone.
DAC’s improve the sound for sure. Just enjoy these cans with whatever you can run them trough.

Welcome thanks the club:0)

OK, probably a Sabre DAC in there.
Owned LH Lab DAC before but found it too icy/metallic with their early stuff. Got a wildcard aliX Es9038Q2M small USB dac/amp on the way with 250mWatts per channel...ability to opamp roll...always like to dig on the entry-level stuff to find something that hits above its price. I found the HRT microstreamer and IFi iP2 cleaner device very close to Chord Mojo sound, without the power reserve of Mojo.
I guess R2R DACs might not be the best for this can regarding imaging/warmth tilt as it is. Anyway, thought it best to just try them un-modded to get a baseline appreciation vs buying a set in USA straight to Peterek for his mods.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #8,705 of 9,173
May 10, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #8,706 of 9,173
May 11, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #8,707 of 9,173
Picked up a Beresford Capella HP amp for the Z7, interesting features on it....bit of a hype circle around that designer's stuff on another forum, but still good/unique features gear.
93464.jpg

One dial can tune the positioning of the mids (depth dial),
Another (damping) can tune "voice coil damping for the best bass control and response"
..and about 4 watts headroom or so.... guess that is total output.
Edit : I think "damping/hf/depth" may just be fancy talk for "bass/mids/treble" hardware EQ (LoL).
Baffle with mystique...

Going to run it off the XPAL Energizer battery pack combo with a 12-volt Linear Power Supply dongle to get that background jet black and makes it transportable.
Same idea as the iBasso PB2 set-up, which was a great little opamp rollers balanced amp...
9744237.jpg

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #8,708 of 9,173
For powering off a mobile device, does anyone know that absolute baseline output for Z7s to get a decent sound ?

Audeze LCD2CB now list 250mWatts per channel and up as the lowest starting point to get a baseline quality starting level sound from them.

May 27, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #8,709 of 9,173
Not sure the numbers make any sense here. My Z7 sounds very good on the Sony PHA-1 (175 mW, 8ohm), quite bad on the balanced Onkyo DP-X1 (150 mW, 32ohm) and excellent on the Teac P90SD (170 mW, 32ohm).

May 31, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #8,710 of 9,173
I'm the proud owner of a used Z7, purchased off the forums here! I LOVE this headphone! I bought my first Sony headphone just this past November, the 1AM2. Which I also loved and still use daily. Shortly after that I picked up the Z7M2, which I thought I liked at first but soon realized I enjoyed the 1AM2 sound way more. I returned the Z7M2 and used that $$ to get the Sony IER-M9, which is basically an end-game tier IEM as far as I'm concerned, I adore them.

And just yesterday I received my Z7 in the mail, which I fall in love with a bit more with each bass note that fills my ears. These things may not be for everyone, and I can see why they wouldn't be, but they are perfect for me! I love this signature.

Jun 1, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #8,711 of 9,173
I'm the proud owner of a used Z7, purchased off the forums here! I LOVE this headphone! I bought my first Sony headphone just this past November, the 1AM2. Which I also loved and still use daily. Shortly after that I picked up the Z7M2, which I thought I liked at first but soon realized I enjoyed the 1AM2 sound way more. I returned the Z7M2 and used that $$ to get the Sony IER-M9, which is basically an end-game tier IEM as far as I'm concerned, I adore them.

And just yesterday I received my Z7 in the mail, which I fall in love with a bit more with each bass note that fills my ears. These things may not be for everyone, and I can see why they wouldn't be, but they are perfect for me! I love this signature.

Sounds as if you prefer the Z7 to its update, the Z7M2. What are the advantages of the Z7?

Jun 1, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #8,712 of 9,173
Sounds as if you prefer the Z7 to its update, the Z7M2. What are the advantages of the Z7?
Bass, comfort, build, made in Japan! The Z7M2 is a more balanced headphone, I also found it too far away sounding, and I loved how focused/intimate the 1AM2 was in comparison. I don't have that problem with the Z7.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #8,713 of 9,173
Just picked these up and hopefully will get them in the next few days after just getting into the hi-fi game. Kind of an odd question, but are the ear pads rotatable 90 degrees to accommodate a around-the-back wearing style? If somebody wouldn't mind testing this style for me because it is admittedly a weird way to wear headphones, so there isn't that much testimonials out there with what headphones work this way. The top of my head can get irritated quickly so it would be nice to be able to wear them that way. Either way, I can deal with it because reviews say these are ultra comfortable and these seem to fit the bill in price and sound that I am looking for in a closed-back.

Jun 15, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #8,714 of 9,173
Just picked these up and hopefully will get them in the next few days after just getting into the hi-fi game. Kind of an odd question, but are the ear pads rotatable 90 degrees to accommodate a around-the-back wearing style? If somebody wouldn't mind testing this style for me because it is admittedly a weird way to wear headphones, so there isn't that much testimonials out there with what headphones work this way. The top of my head can get irritated quickly so it would be nice to be able to wear them that way. Either way, I can deal with it because reviews say these are ultra comfortable and these seem to fit the bill in price and sound that I am looking for in a closed-back.

Not sure if you wanna rotate the pads at all because of the way the drivers are positioned inside the headphone. Notice that they are angled more forward and the pads are ergonomically designed to accompany and support that.
If you do try it. Let me know how it goes. I’d be curious. :wink:

Jun 15, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #8,715 of 9,173
Not sure if you wanna rotate the pads at all because of the way the drivers are positioned inside the headphone. Notice that they are angled more forward and the pads are ergonomically designed to accompany and support that.
If you do try it. Let me know how it goes. I’d be curious. :wink:

I didn't even consider that, although the angle would be facing down and towards the ear canal, which would still be decent... hopefully. Then there is a chance that the top of my ear might hit the driver, but the pads look thick enough. From what I seen the pads are rotatable since they have a plastic insert that can be taken out for accommodating pad swaps if warranted. If I have to do a little modification I don't mind, but wouldn't want to hack them up for sure. I wish there where more premium options out there since the only headphones that I have been able to find that actually are made for this wearing style are the Audio Technica ATH-S600s. However, those leave a lot to be desired when it come to a premium look and feel. It would be a bonus to be able to wear them this way, but not a deal breaker for sure. Gotta love Sony's minimalist, high-end look and I generally like their sound signature too, which is based off of a couple of IEMs (XBA-300s and N3s).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back