Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jun 26, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #8,716 of 9,173
How well do these block noise? I currently use HD25's and an Oppo PM3. I know they have a vent, so I am worried about using it on the train and at work.

Edit: I am blind, a couple of posts ago somebody already said they don't isolate at all.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #8,719 of 9,173
Do you have compared them to other closed headphones? Because these aren't actually fully closed and isolated by the looks of it.

Hi, yes. With Aeon Flow Closed and LCD-XC and had before a B&O H6. The AFC’s are probably better isolating from exterior noise but not by much. Sound leakage is fairly the same from all but maybe the H6 is leaking less from what I can recall from memory.

Jul 4, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #8,720 of 9,173
Has anyone had good results with EQ on these babies? They could REALLY use some more treble presence IMO. I use Foobar2k on Win 10.

EDIT: So I basically just raised everything above 3.5k about 5db and I think it sounds....better? But I don't trust my ears so I find that I need people to tell me what sounds good LMAO. So does this seem like a reasonable thing to do?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #8,721 of 9,173
Has anyone had good results with EQ on these babies? They could REALLY use some more treble presence IMO. I use Foobar2k on Win 10.

EDIT: So I basically just raised everything above 3.5k about 5db and I think it sounds....better? But I don't trust my ears so I find that I need people to tell me what sounds good LMAO. So does this seem like a reasonable thing to do?
I raise their treble present by.... buying another cables, Sony Kimber & Oyaide.
If you prefer EQ, I think you can find some instructions here:
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq
in the subfolder "results", you go deeper to a reference and see a compensation EQ which, IMO, you can try. I did one and found helpfulness.

Jul 5, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #8,722 of 9,173
I raise their treble present by.... buying another cables, Sony Kimber & Oyaide.
If you prefer EQ, I think you can find some instructions here:
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq
in the subfolder "results", you go deeper to a reference and see a compensation EQ which, IMO, you can try. I did one and found helpfulness.
Yeah I’ve got a Kimber on the way. Should be here next week. I played around with EQ some more and I have to say I’m quite impressed with it so far! I feel it’s responding very well to EQ.

Jul 6, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #8,723 of 9,173

I fixed that by buying the Z7M2. :) I first tried adjusting the treble and midrange with software EQ when possible, and a Schiit Loki when not possible, but never was able to change the overall character of the Z7.

Jul 9, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #8,724 of 9,173
Ok the OGZ7 is a completely different animal with the Kimber cable. Like WOW! Has anyone experienced this? Keep in mind I also went from SE to balanced by purchasing this 4.4 Kimber but I've never noticed much difference between the two outputs. But damn this 4.4 Kimber cable has legit made this headphone better. I no longer use EQ to get the sound I want. Straight up high gain and direct sound on from my ZX300 and it's great.

Jul 10, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #8,725 of 9,173
I picked up the standard 3.5mm Sony Kimber cable and noticed a quality difference as well. I was kind of sceptical about cables making any kind of difference until I bought a Sony upgrade cable for my IEMs, which surprisingly made the sound open up a bit. Well worth it for the premium feel and look alone. Not to mention, a 1.2m standard plug should have been included from the get go, but I digress. Can't wait to see 4.4 balanced connections become more standard on more attainable DACs in the future.

Jul 11, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #8,726 of 9,173
I legitimately can't get over the transformation this 4.4 Kimber has done to the Z7. They wen't from bloated bass cannons to balanced and detailed. If you have a Z7, you haven't even heard them yet unless you have a Kimber cable. I wish I had a single ended Kimber so I could see how much is the cable and how much is going from SE to balanced.

Jul 11, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #8,727 of 9,173
I've got a SE Sony Kimber MUCB20SM1, 1.2m length. It doesn't reduce the bass and pushes the details of mid and treble. I find that it also makes the Z7 a bit more sensitive to the sibilance, a.k.a. easily revealing poor sound outputs. However, the sound signature of Z7 doesn't drastically change. Their treble imaging remains recessed.
In the comparison with going balanced, the combo Z7 + stock balanced cable is superior than the Z7 + SE-Kimber as I examine on my UD-503. I considered Kimber cables quite overpriced so that I ordered Oyaide counterparts for balanced driving instead. Now I no longer hear dark sound as I auditioned my Z7 at the first time.

Jul 11, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #8,728 of 9,173
I legitimately can't get over the transformation this 4.4 Kimber has done to the Z7. They wen't from bloated bass cannons to balanced and detailed. If you have a Z7, you haven't even heard them yet unless you have a Kimber cable. I wish I had a single ended Kimber so I could see how much is the cable and how much is going from SE to balanced.

I guarantee all or most of the difference is the change from SE to balanced. I heard little to no difference comparing stock SE to Kimber SE, and overall the Kimber experience was ruined by microphonics every time I moved.

Jul 11, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #8,729 of 9,173
I guarantee all or most of the difference is the change from SE to balanced. I heard little to no difference comparing stock SE to Kimber SE, and overall the Kimber experience was ruined by microphonics every time I moved.
Weird I haven't noticed any mircrophonics with it! I also just use the Z7 on the couch though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back