Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jan 22, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #8,686 of 9,173
Norway, nice! A bit dark in winter, right? But last summer was quite something. I was in Finland last May. It was 27 degrees. A lady from Norway told me Norway was the same. For the cable, you can check ForzaAudioWorks from Poland. They do very good cable at any lengths you might want.
Yes in the winter it's either dark or grey for 5 months but in the summer its so nice here and last summer was almost too hot but i shoulden't complain. For me winter is more headfi time love it. I will check out ForzaAudioWorks thanks man.

Jan 27, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #8,687 of 9,173
Other than the $300 Kimber kable, any recs on. $50-$70 portable cable for these? 1.2-1.5 meters is ideal for me.
Thanks

Feb 6, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #8,688 of 9,173
After getting these, they don't isolate at all, which is what I need: closed back. If anyone is interested in these, I'll sell them for $250 shipped to US. Pm me.

Sold

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #8,689 of 9,173
With my MDR-Z1R I can hear my husband snoring, but I don't mind, unless I wanted to use these in the subway o bus. Anyways the sound quality outdhadows the negative of isolating

Mar 3, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #8,690 of 9,173
Hi!

Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried to search on the forum with no success. Do you guys know where can I buy replacement headband for my Z7? (if it is even possible) My Z7 is kind of old (I bought it several years ago when it was released), and the artificial leather on the head band started to "disintegrate" :) I can only find replacement ear pads on the internet, but not replacement headband.

By the way, I love my Z7, would never sell it even if the leather completely comes off from the headband :)

Mar 7, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #8,691 of 9,173
Hi!

Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried to search on the forum with no success. Do you guys know where can I buy replacement headband for my Z7? (if it is even possible) My Z7 is kind of old (I bought it several years ago when it was released), and the artificial leather on the head band started to "disintegrate" :) I can only find replacement ear pads on the internet, but not replacement headband.

By the way, I love my Z7, would never sell it even if the leather completely comes off from the headband :)

I don't know if there is a replacement for the headband out there, my Z7's headband are still "integrate", but thinking about using a headband cover like this i found on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=headband...x=headband,electronics,344&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_7_8

Apr 30, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #8,692 of 9,173
Apr 30, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #8,693 of 9,173
May 1, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #8,694 of 9,173
Here I do a short comparison between the IER-Z1R, The Z1R and The Z7.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-mdr-z1r.21971/reviews#review-21989

Great review. Totally agree on the relative strengths of the Z1R and the Z7. I've heard both but only owned the Z7, then replaced it with the Z7 Model 2. I feel the "Z7M2" combines the strengths of of the Z1R and Z7, for example a clear midrange and smooth bass extension, making it good for classical, jazz, and speech as well as electronic and pop. But if you love the Z7, you'll have a lot of trouble getting used to the Z7M2.

May 7, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #8,695 of 9,173
Anyone had and some time with Audeze LCD-2CB (closed-back) and the Z7 ?

I guess after mods, you'll get fuller, impactful extended low-end ....looking for more dynamic low-end impact/fullness vs planar controlled low-end now....and smoother treble..though I wonder if the mids are too recessed with electronic music due to U-shaped comments..not concerned so much with exact tonality due to main listening music style...just hope the mids are not too far back.

I guess they should be a bit easier to drive than LCD2-CB, even though they are both 70-ohm I think from memory it takes slightly less to get the Z7 going, as I also want to run them straight off a DAP purely for simplicity in balanced mode vs DAP/amp stacks. As well as a desktop set-up with more headroom.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #8,696 of 9,173

I guess after mods, you'll get fuller, impactful extended low-end ....looking for more dynamic low-end impact/fullness vs planar controlled low-end now....and smoother treble..though I wonder if the mids are too recessed with electronic music due to U-shaped comments..not concerned so much with exact tonality due to main listening music style...just hope the mids are not too far back.

I guess they should be a bit easier to drive than LCD2-CB, even though they are both 70-ohm I think from memory it takes slightly less to get the Z7 going, as I also want to run them straight off a DAP purely for simplicity in balanced mode vs DAP/amp stacks. As well as a desktop set-up with more headroom.
I still love my totally not modded Z7 and Z1R. Both are a league of their very own. And both are the most comfortable headphones which I ever had. I own the Audeze Mobius, also a very fascinating headphone. Great bass, but comfort wise miles behind the Sony headphones.

May 8, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #8,697 of 9,173

I still love my totally not modded Z7 and Z1R. Both are a league of their very own. And both are the most comfortable headphones which I ever had. I own the Audeze Mobius, also a very fascinating headphone. Great bass, but comfort wise miles behind the Sony headphones.

The Z7 and Z1R are my endgame headphones for electronic music. Though cables and amps play an important part of allowing the two headphones to reach their design potential. I have basically stopped looking at full-size headphones.

Never heard those LCD closed backs. Though I truly can’t figure out why I stopped caring about hearing anything else? Maybe I’m simply still amazingly shocked at what I’m hearing? I don’t know?

Also they are more comfortable than my prior best comfortable headphone, the Denon AHD7000. The Z7 is more comfortable than the Z1R due to being smaller.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #8,698 of 9,173
The Z7 and Z1R are my endgame headphones for electronic music. Though cables and amps play an important part of allowing the two headphones to reach their design potential. I have basically stopped looking at full-size headphones.

Never heard those LCD closed backs. Though I truly can’t figure out why I stopped caring about hearing anything else? Maybe I’m simply still amazingly shocked at what I’m hearing? I don’t know?

Also they are more comfortable than my prior best comfortable headphone, the Denon AHD7000. The Z7 is more comfortable than the Z1R due to being smaller.
Yep, looking at the mini-XLR mods by Peterek so I will be able to use my balanced cabling with the set and get that terminated with the same cabling inside the cups, get his internal tuning done on the set as well.

Long time since I've owned that air moving greatness/fullness you get with dynamic cans...had planar magnetic cans tunnel vision for 5 years...was looking at NightOwl till I saw the review.

May 9, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #8,699 of 9,173
https://www.head-fi.org/members/lohb.354949/

Not familiar with Casper’s mod? Also I rarely mod anything especially flagships as I seem to be able to get the sound I want with cables and amps. Especially I feel Sony has the knowhow and resources to do anything. But I guess people feel mods dial in a headphone to a personal liking like tone controls do? I just never felt the need with either the Z1R or Z7.

Also I tend to look at whole systems, meaning even a bright DAC can have the potential to dramatically change the final outcome. I could be crazy too, but along with tone, I look at soundstage changes with different frontend gear. Meaning once you start a modification, your basically all done with knowing the pure improvements with future gear.

But much of this happens from trusting the manufacturer to know what they are doing. Also I am paranoid believing anything in the signal can affect sound. DAPs sound different to me than computers as a source. I believe most changes can be made without EQ, having found issues with EQ in the past as well as computers. These things were never suggested to me but just ended up as artifacts after changes, which I then attempted to change back.

So due to this style of thought, I never trusted mods. Lol.

In the end I would probably guess the mod added issues. Lol!

But it can be the opposite too, where people simply believe the modification helps dramatically!

This stuff is more in our mind than we admit to! IMO

But my question is...do you already have the Z7, and not gel with the tone?

Edit:

I have always read about folks putting in damping material in cups and with certain combinations I’m totally familiar with the aspect of foggy lower midrange. I totally see how damping materials can do a job there....by diminishing resonance.

Though years ago I changed power cords and RCA connects with my W5 LE and Denon AHD 7000 and the result was perfectly clear lower midrange. So I became suspect of using physical material and found I liked using cables to do the job? Though I respect people who go for mods......this game is about whatever works in the end.....no one is ever totally wrong....if they are happy!

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #8,700 of 9,173
Yep, looking at the mini-XLR mods by Peterek so I will be able to use my balanced cabling with the set and get that terminated with the same cabling inside the cups, get his internal tuning done on the set as well.

Long time since I've owned that air moving greatness/fullness you get with dynamic cans...had planar magnetic cans tunnel vision for 5 years...was looking at NightOwl till I saw the review.

The other thing I have witnessed time and time again has been the clear-up from amp power. So much so that when about folks have low-end clarity issues.....I always guess it’s not enough power. It’s just that the Z7 even with the 1A and 1Z DAP is underpowered. Get the Z7 more juice and it opens up and gets clear....in my experience. ??

Still with modifications much of this is subjective, meaning even with enough power (all the juice possible) some would want a more tailored low end ( which damping resonances would do)!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back