Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Nov 6, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #2,986 of 9,173
I would like to take an educated guess at the z7's bass based on comments here and that guess is that is is very similar to the 7520 with slightly more quantity.

The 7520 bass is as follows:
- Decent to average impact
- midbass hump but good extension
- lacks a focused punch and tightness but is still somehow dry versus wet
- A ton of resolution in the bass but its lack of very solid impact would make one misjudge its quality

The 7520 bass is very detailed, even more so than a lot of orthos but you have to compare to notice. The 7520 also has full mids that dont read like the case with the z7 but the highs reqd to be very similar which in my book is neutral.

I think people need to do bass tests on the z7.

The zmf vibro has an airy impact on the bass but dependable texture. Its not the tightest or most focused but its still engaging.

Current z7 owners, would you say my guess is off?

Nov 6, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #2,987 of 9,173
OK, I subjected myself to bass tones starting at 5hz to 60hz using 4 different headphones to test the sub bass:

Sennheiser Momentum On Ear - started to hear at about 10hz and it was the loudest of the headphones
AKG K545 - started to hear at about 14kz and was the next loudest.
Z7 - started to hear around 15hz and was the next loudest
K712 - started around 22hz and was the least loudest.

Quality of tone:
Z7 had the smoothest quality of tone
K545 was reasonably smooth was pretty close to the same loudness as the Z7 only a bit louder.
K712 had good quality tone once you could here it.
MOE was the loudest but also the roughest bass of the bunch.

I have to say my hearing is a bit suspect in all this in that I am not sure I have the ability to hear anything below 15hz. But in the 25hz range where all headphones were clearly audible to me the Z7 had the best tone and was also very linear. The K712 was also very linear but was a good 10hz behind the other headphone.

Using a song to set the volume listening level and using a moderate to slightly louder volume
Z7 - 22hz
K545 - 19hz
K712 - 26hz
MOE - 13hz

So the Z7 isn't quite as bassy as a bass head level can but deeper than my K712.

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #2,988 of 9,173
Hi,

Does anyone know if the Denon D600 cable would fit the Z7? The standard cable is a bit long.

Yessir. I used It last week with my Digizoid ZO as a portable setup.

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #2,989 of 9,173
OK, in my testing tonight and playing around with several headphones all my testing has done is confirm how much I am enjoying the Z7. It's funny, was I switching back and forth between the headphones trying snippets hear and there but when ever I put on the Z7 I would start to get immersed into the music and forget to switch LOL. After I while I simply put the other headphones away and settled down for an enjoyable 40 minute listening session. This headphone is just so comfortable and enjoyable to listen to its easy to get swept away in the music.

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #2,990 of 9,173
  What can you do? He's Takato. He doesn't like anything.

He only likes dust-encrusted headphones :D 

Oh btw I'll be comparing the Z7s with my TH900s and Shure 1540s.

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #2,991 of 9,173
He only likes dust-encrusted headphones :D 

Oh btw I'll be comparing the Z7s with my TH900s and Shure 1540s.

Very much looking forward to your th900 comparison. When you do, could you maybe comment about how "fun" the z7 is compared to the TH900? It's the clarity, control, and fun factor that I love about the th900.

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #2,992 of 9,173
Very much looking forward to your th900 comparison. When you do, could you maybe comment about how "fun" the z7 is compared to the TH900? It's the clarity, control, and fun factor that I love about the th900.

Sure np, man!

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #2,994 of 9,173
No issues here Mike, frequency test was the first file I played :) mine is Aussie stock too so he likely got unlucky or played too loud and poped the driver seating.

I'd unscrew the pad and have a look.

Another thing to check is if the cable is plugged in properly.

Nov 7, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #2,995 of 9,173
Nov 7, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #2,996 of 9,173
OK, in my testing tonight and playing around with several headphones all my testing has done is confirm how much I am enjoying the Z7. It's funny, was I switching back and forth between the headphones trying snippets hear and there but when ever I put on the Z7 I would start to get immersed into the music and forget to switch LOL. After I while I simply put the other headphones away and settled down for an enjoyable 40 minute listening session. This headphone is just so comfortable and enjoyable to listen to its easy to get swept away in the music.

there's a lot to be said for putting the evaluation to one side and just enjoy the music. kinda gets harder to do the longer you hang out here.

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #2,999 of 9,173
No rattle here, except when I forgot to screw the plugs on. @a_recording are you sure it isn't that?

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #3,000 of 9,173
  Saw this from Lachlan's YT channel.  I tested mine and did not hear any rattling noises.  Anyone here has this issue?

I didn't notice with the one I demo-ed and it seems from other reports here, few or no one else seems to have either. Guess we'll have to wait till more Z7 owners speak up.

I have to admit I'm somewhat skeptical with these styles of reports. I'm not saying that there's nothing wrong with that particular unit as there obviously is. However the approach could have been more palatable by doing a little more research first (such as consulting the manufacturer's support team first, or even asking the the audience with "Mine does this, does yours?") rather than just jumping straight to a public problem report primarily whilst conducting the quantitative research as a secondary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back