Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
May 24, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #4,741 of 8,221
DMP-WM FEv2 has a sharper leading edge to the notes than Dawn leading to more attack/bite across the range, which for me presents a more realistic rendition of music. The DMP-Z1 focussed FEv2 delivers the bass as intended, clean & deep without overly boosting. FEv2 on region E results in a very detailed, powerful sound signature with a strong sense of presence and instrument separation.

Midnight, Project Z adds more colour to the bass regions, treble is generally softer/dialled back in comparison to FEv2, especially in the case of region J presenting average bass, a solid midrange & further accentuating the softer treble of Midnight etc. Region E presents a stronger sub bass and some elevation in the mid's through the treble.

Dawn, Midnight & Project Z for me all tended to have a slight reverb issue on Plus mode with some albums (late 70's/early 80's rock), FEv2 plays cleanly on both Classic & Plus. Midnight & Project Z can also feel overly expanded at times in the vocals, almost like a smearing effect. Potentially as the music was never recorded with such an expanded sound stage in mind.

Personal taste and headgear are big factors as is acclimation. If any are considering the switch of region and or CFW they should also give the set up some time to adjust to the new sounds signature.

Q-6
I may need to give FEv2 a try with my Dorados.

As far as Midnight goes, classic is better to my ear with the Dorados. Plus is too much.

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #4,742 of 8,221

As far as Midnight goes, classic is better to my ear with the Dorados. Plus is too much.
Standby for FEv2 it's fine on Classic & Plus, once you gel with the sound signature, the dynamics & detail retrieval will be hard to get out of you head, rest is just a downgrade :)

Q-6

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #4,743 of 8,221
Pitch Black - Filtered Senses
600x600bb.jpg

With this album you'll see just exactly how deep and cleanly the WM1A can deliver on DMP-WM FEv2 on region E. Sony clearly folded for it's own reasons, as the WM1A is very clearly far more capable than it's stock firmware allows...

Q-6

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #4,744 of 8,221

On my zx300, my Campfire Atlas, not so different to your Dorados in tuning, found their perfect match with the FEv2 plus (less congested, more detailed, better layered to my ears), while the Project z/Midnight sounded too warm, too "more of the same thing" for my taste. In any case with more neutral iems i imagine that Midnight could be better, giving them that extra "musicality" that this mod chases (that's my interpretation). Is always a problem of matching...

May 25, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #4,745 of 8,221
On my zx300, my Campfire Atlas, not so different to your Dorados in tuning, found their perfect match with the FEv2 plus (less congested, more detailed, better layered to my ears), while the Project z/Midnight sounded too warm, too "more of the same thing" for my taste. In any case with more neutral iems i imagine that Midnight could be better, giving them that extra "musicality" that this mod chases (that's my interpretation). Is always a problem of matching...
I just need to figure out how to go to FEv2. I couldn’t even find the download for it! Can anyone help me with the process to go from midnight to FEv2? I’m normally better than your average bear at this sort of thing but I’m drawing a blank with this one.

May 25, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #4,746 of 8,221
I just need to figure out how to go to FEv2. I couldn’t even find the download for it! Can anyone help me with the process to go from midnight to FEv2? I’m normally better than your average bear at this sort of thing but I’m drawing a blank with this one.
I believe you need to go back to stock first, and then change to Midnight.

May 25, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #4,748 of 8,221
Ok. I was able to revert to stock. I was using the wrong revert file. But I could not for the life of me find the CFW for FEv2 for the WM1A. The best I could find was Dawn, which says it's FEv3... Am I missing something?

May 26, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #4,749 of 8,221
Ok. I was able to revert to stock. I was using the wrong revert file. But I could not for the life of me find the CFW for FEv2 for the WM1A. The best I could find was Dawn, which says it's FEv3... Am I missing something?
Pretty sure someone posted a link to it upthread. Sorry, not sure how long ago (maybe a couple weeks ago?).

May 27, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #4,751 of 8,221
seeing i have both DMP-WM1 FE (Final Edition) and DMP-WM1 FEv2 (Final Edition)

and since i don't remember if i have the v1 or v2 installed , 2 questions

how can i know which one of the 2 versions i ha ve installed ?

how can i go to v2 if i am on v1 ?

thanx anyone

May 27, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #4,752 of 8,221

thanx anyone
If you are on v2 you have Plus mode so try to restart the player with the lock slider pushed up and then it should say Plus mode somewhere in Unit info.

To go from one version to another you have to use the go back procedure as described in each fw for the fw that you have installed and then install the new fw according to its instructions

May 27, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #4,753 of 8,221

thanx anyone
If tou have FEv2 tou can boot to plus by restarting or turning it off and on in two ways.
A. Hold on HOLD position is plus mode
B. Hold down or unlocked it is classic
image.jpg

May 29, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #4,754 of 8,221
If you are on v2 you have Plus mode so try to restart the player with the lock slider pushed up and then it should say Plus mode somewhere in Unit info.

To go from one version to another you have to use the go back procedure as described in each fw for the fw that you have installed and then install the new fw according to its instructions

man you are an asset to this community , you are the quiet sage in here

kudos (and i love your backyard , great space)

May 29, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #4,755 of 8,221
If tou have FEv2 tou can boot to plus by restarting or turning it off and on in two ways.
A. Hold on HOLD position is plus mode
B. Hold down or unlocked it is classic
image.jpg
Plus here

screenshot_20210520_202626502.png

Q-6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back