Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
May 24, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #4,726 of 8,232
I have trouble downgrading is there any tutorial with a picture for downgrade the official firmware?:sweat_smile::sweat:
What trouble? Just run any official firmware and it will install the version you’re trying to run. What errors are you getting?

May 24, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #4,727 of 8,232
DMP-WM FEv2 has a sharper leading edge to the notes than Dawn leading to more attack/bite across the range, which for me presents a more realistic rendition of music. The DMP-Z1 focussed FEv2 delivers the bass as intended, clean & deep without overly boosting. FEv2 on region E results in a very detailed, powerful sound signature with a strong sense of presence and instrument separation.

Midnight, Project Z adds more colour to the bass regions, treble is generally softer/dialled back in comparison to FEv2, especially in the case of region J presenting average bass, a solid midrange & further accentuating the softer treble of Midnight etc. Region E presents a stronger sub bass and some elevation in the mid's through the treble.

Dawn, Midnight & Project Z for me all tended to have a slight reverb issue on Plus mode with some albums (late 70's/early 80's rock), FEv2 plays cleanly on both Classic & Plus. Midnight & Project Z can also feel overly expanded at times in the vocals, almost like a smearing effect. Potentially as the music was never recorded with such an expanded sound stage in mind.

Personal taste and headgear are big factors as is acclimation. If any are considering the switch of region and or CFW they should also give the set up some time to adjust to the new sounds signature.

Q-6
Couldn't have said it better myself... This is dead on accurate

May 24, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #4,728 of 8,232
I have trouble downgrading is there any tutorial with a picture for downgrade the official firmware?:sweat_smile::sweat:
To downgrade from one stock fw to another you just run the older stock fw installer just like when you upgraded. To downgrade from a later MrWalkman fe you have to follow his instructions in the specific fw

May 24, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #4,729 of 8,232
DMP-z1-FEv2 let the Guitar sound
image.jpg

May 24, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #4,730 of 8,232
Couldn't have said it better myself... This is dead on accurate
Aside the merits of DMP-WM FEv2, I think that region E is also designed to for a wide range of music given it covers APAC & JPN exports. versus the more country specific regions such as CA, CN, J, KR, TW, U etc.

Q-6

May 24, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #4,731 of 8,232
Aside the merits of DMP-WM FEv2, I think that region E is also designed to for a wide range of music given it covers APAC & JPN exports. versus the more country specific regions such as CA, CN, J, KR, TW, U etc.

Q-6
True...I like FEv2 the best so far over Midnight, though Midnight is really good in my trial of it for the past two months. Now I am starting my audition of Dawn...I like Dawn alot so far. To me initially, it sounds a tad more holographic over Midnight, but its not all the way there with the surreal crispness, detail and clarity FEv2 has . Ill say Dawn is closer to FEv2 than Midnight is. Where as Midnight was a bit more recessed, Dawn is a little bit more forward in its presentation to me...especially with vocals.

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #4,732 of 8,232
I am finding it extremely silly and to some point idiotic how people nowadays see a DAP.

they expect to be like a computer… only to play music…
Ah must have latest android
Ah must have 256GB RAM and 20 cpres and run at 3GHz cpu speed… do you wanna render a pixar movie with it?
Ah must have 8K display Ultra mega HD. Id rqther see a movie on my 60’’ LCDTV
Must bypass windows ir android ausio stack and play DSD1024 and 64-bit/768kHz … and they play lossy spotify or aac or mp3 lol
Must be like a cellphone without the phone

I’d better a dap like sony with lo-res display dual core cpu 2GB RAm but with the best sq on earth for my own files

May 24, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #4,733 of 8,232
I am finding it extremely silly and to some point idiotic how people nowadays see a DAP.

they expect to be like a computer… only to play music…
Ah must have latest android
Ah must have 256GB RAM and 20 cpres and run at 3GHz cpu speed… do you wanna render a pixar movie with it?
Ah must have 8K display Ultra mega HD. Id rqther see a movie on my 60’’ LCDTV
Must bypass windows ir android ausio stack and play DSD1024 and 64-bit/768kHz … and they play lossy spotify or aac or mp3 lol
Must be like a cellphone without the phone

I’d better a dap like sony with lo-res display dual core cpu 2GB RAm but with the best sq on earth for my own files
I've said it before but it's worth repeating, IMO. All this is why I strongly gravitated towards, and am very happy I recently landed, the near-end-of-product-life WM1A, even given it's objective shortcomings.

After being away from the hobby for so long, it took me a good 9 months to finally figure out the landscape of portable devices. It finally dawned on me that high quality, dependable devices like the WM1A are probably soon to be extinct in terms of being actively produced at scale DAPs.

May 24, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #4,734 of 8,232
I've said it before but it's worth repeating, IMO. All this is why I strongly gravitated towards, and am very happy I recently landed, the near-end-of-product-life WM1A, even given it's objective shortcomings.

After being away from the hobby for so long, it took me a good 9 months to finally figure out the landscape of portable devices. It finally dawned on me that high quality, dependable devices like the WM1A are probably soon to be extinct in terms of being actively produced at scale DAPs.
I feel thqt the heavy background processing/spionage of google really interferea with the Audio decoding. I feel it can introduce glitches or imperfect signal

May 24, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #4,735 of 8,232
True...I like FEv2 the best so far over Midnight, though Midnight is really good in my trial of it for the past two months. Now I am starting my audition of Dawn...I like Dawn alot so far. To me initially, it sounds a tad more holographic over Midnight, but its not all the way there with the surreal crispness, detail and clarity FEv2 has . Ill say Dawn is closer to FEv2 than Midnight is. Where as Midnight was a bit more recessed, Dawn is a little bit more forward in its presentation to me...especially with vocals.
Dawn I think pushes the 1A's amp & staging too much on Plus mode with some albums, although that could be also related to mastering. Again I'd recommend E with Dawn, J only serves to pull back the treble, admittedly with sweeter mids. Dawn on Classic on E is really nice, but pity that Plus can be problematic and again some vocals have come across as being overly expanded.

As I've said before here I don't think that there's anything more to the regions other than what they are; a parameter to enhance localised taste. J is very relaxed and plays very safe, E is more aggressive adding both bite to the treble & punch to the bass and may not serve those with bright IEM/HP combinations or a very low hour WM1A. I also think that there's a lot more going on with the regions than just a simple EQ curve.

Q-6

May 24, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #4,736 of 8,232

Nailed that; all to many now just want to produce time limited throw away devices that monetise the user to ensure a continuous revenue stream. Better still the "rental scheme" where the customer is indefinitely paying on a monthly basis...

I do all my music discovery/streaming via computer, My SR25 has the capacity, although rarely used. I'm kind of the school if I pay for something it then belongs to me and I'll do with it as I see fit...

Q-6

May 24, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #4,737 of 8,232
One question regardkess of classic or plus modes.
Dies battery last linger under Low gain high volumes eg. 70/120 or in high gain low volumes e.g 40/120

May 24, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #4,738 of 8,232
One question regardkess of classic or plus modes.
Dies battery last linger under Low gain high volumes eg. 70/120 or in high gain low volumes e.g 40/120
About the same according to my tests so go with what sounds best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back