Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
May 31, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #4,771 of 8,232
I prefer the old os (A15). I like button controls. Could be my motor skills.
A new walkman with the old os, and usb-dac mode without delay is all I want. I might stack my A15 to a PHA-2A to get that functionality :D

May 31, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #4,775 of 8,232
Man, it goes back to the old foundational question. If Android, I'd just get a phone. Why DAP. The OS has to be custom for DAPs to be extra special.
I get value out of having buttons down the side.
A higher powered output dap would perhaps be a better option unless pairing with an amp/dac, but that adds bulk and cables unless connecting with bluetooth which limits certain hi-res playback specs.

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #4,776 of 8,232
Android can be (and is) hacked - just look at ibasso and the heavily optimized firmwares for their different players discussed on head-fi.

I'd be very happy with a lean and mean Linux based DAP, like the Pioneer XDP-30R - no flab, no bells and whistles, just a very good DAP.

May 31, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #4,777 of 8,232
Android can be (and is) hacked - just look at ibasso and the heavily optimized firmwares for their different players discussed on head-fi.

I'd be very happy with a lean and mean Linux based DAP, like the Pioneer XDP-30R - no flab, no bells and whistles, just a very good DAP.
The 1A/Z is Linux based. See their open source declaration.

May 31, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #4,778 of 8,232
May 31, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #4,779 of 8,232
Time has moved on. I can see there are a variety of views but the majority do prefer Android. The ideal way would be to have a custom OS, as that is the way to achieve higher and consistent sales volume. Android use opens the door to competition with smartphones and other Chinese DAPs. But Sony knew that there are some people who just buy Sony regardless, so I guess this is what we have now.

May 31, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #4,780 of 8,232
Why are we talking about new DAPs? I don’t need a new DAP? We are programmed to consume. But newer is not always better. Go back and listen to some IEMs that are from 4 years ago, ones that were passed by because they were “old”, you may be surprised at what you find. An example is one pair was three years old at 389.00 and it did have a more forward and detailed midrange, and it’s a question of taste if that is correct? Still that midrange was more metallic? But for many when it first came out it was just more detailed. One just did everything right, yet was slightly lackluster?

I think anything new will be different sounding but maybe not better? Plus we have all the advantages and advancements of custom firmware?

May 31, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #4,781 of 8,232
It's not like the next Gen WM1A/Z is going to be leagues better in SQ, likely more power output, more features & Android. The current models will remain more flexible until similar custom ROM's appear if they do.

The main factor is that the current DAP's will not be degraded in any shape or form, although one might be a little wary of an "out of the blue" firmware update from Sony on any new HW release.

Q-6

Jun 1, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #4,782 of 8,232
Why are we talking about new DAPs? I don’t need a new DAP? We are programmed to consume. But newer is not always better. Go back and listen to some IEMs that are from 4 years ago, ones that were passed by because they were “old”, you may be surprised at what you find. An example is one pair was three years old at 389.00 and it did have a more forward and detailed midrange, and it’s a question of taste if that is correct? Still that midrange was more metallic? But for many when it first came out it was just more detailed. One just did everything right, yet was slightly lackluster?

I think anything new will be different sounding but maybe not better? Plus we have all the advantages and advancements of custom firmware?
I imagine @gerelmx1986 is pondering on a battery replacement or waiting for a new model.
Talk of android or streaming etc only makes me value my Sony OS 1A more.

Jun 1, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #4,783 of 8,232

Indeed. I don’t expect to be buying a new dap for another 5-10 years unless my 1Z breaks and can’t be repaired

Jun 1, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #4,784 of 8,232
Indeed. I don’t expect to be buying a new dap for another 5-10 years unless my 1Z breaks and can’t be repaired
I would love to keep my WM1A for a decade ... but actually, I am a bit frustrated with some missing "functions" like :
-> no easy access on the way to Qobuz and my personnel Upnp server without using my smartphone via a limited Bluetooth 4.2
-> a real lack of power to move properly some headphones on the way too (2x600/800 mw should be more appropriate) and no line out available or incompatibility with DAC out and BT receiver. It would be nice to be able to use a pure external portable amp like C9/Centrance Ampersand or a more powerful DAC/amp like Diablo/Centrance M8V2.
-> only three EQ parameters saving possibilities with a fixed name
-> no search functions

Till now, I have to agree that I couldn't find any real replacement too .. Android based devices are falling short everytime somewhere too or even a real pain to use too ( Hiby R6pro, Fioo M11, Kann Alpha).
For sure if Sony decides to upgrade a little to their Linux based WM1A/1Z, I should be one of their customers.

Jun 1, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #4,785 of 8,232
The 1A/Z is Linux based. See their open source declaration.

That and some others (XDP-30R, etc) prove the point - you can have top notch DAPs without the Android flab.

As a matter of fact Android IS Linux, but with so much bells and whistles put on, that the cutting edge is buried deep below + the deep connection to the Google ecosystem makes it very undesirable.
But it IS possible to make a lean and mean Android OS for DAPs (look at Mango OS), it's just that few, if any producers are ready to put in the money and effort

Users who are viewing this thread

Back