Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jun 1, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #4,802 of 8,232
Don't need power myself? Don't EQ.

A couple of lines of code, probably. But I don't use EQ and never saved an EQ profile, so...

Don’t need any more power for my phones and have never used eq on any device

Yeah to echo some of the rest, I have always hated eq and have never had the need for more power for my existing gear. Still these are not deal breakers as the included DSPs do wonders and the WM1A is not underpowered by any means.

It is clear to me that you do not need more power or more EQ profiles.
But the point is that they wouldn't harm anyone, right?
They would only contribute, they do not subtract.
They would be very good for me.

Jun 1, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #4,803 of 8,232
It is clear to me that you do not need more power or more EQ profiles.
But the point is that they wouldn't harm anyone, right?
They would only contribute, they do not subtract.
They would be very good for me.
Yes I can fully understand that those features and others would be usefull to you and probably many others, each person has their own requirements

Jun 1, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #4,804 of 8,232
71Qv2UM4f-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The last time I used an EQ was in the 80's to crank the bass up on my Sony CFS-1000 listening to the Miami Vice theme.
Although I like simplicity and use direct source, after owning the RME ADI-2 I understand about EQ more and can appreciate why people use it.

I think Mr Walkman is still working on another firmware? and from one of his last posts he was looking into some other tweaks related to features? so maybe one day there are some other good things to come?
I'm surprised over the years no one has come up with a pure custom OS for Walkmans.

Jun 1, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #4,805 of 8,232
^^It would be great if he is still working on CFW, but even if he isn't, I hope he comes back some day. I just miss his presence on the boards.

That said, and I have zero clue if it's even possible to add these features via CFW, but I'd love:
--Under Album Artist view, have albums automatically sorted by tagged album release year;
--be able to add albums/songs to the currently playing play queue (does that make sense), instead of having to create bookmarks/playlists
--display remaining battery %

Jun 1, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #4,806 of 8,232
There are two ways to add features

1/ What Mr Walkman did e.g. for the A30 - he used the A40 and/or ZX300 firmware and magicked it onto the A30, thus adding the features of the newer model to the older. That move made the A30 a very capable player again! Similarly some fw for the A50 were based on the WMZ and on the DMP

2/ Have access to the source code and add/remove/modify anything you like in the OS. As the SonyOS source code is not available, this is not an option. Should Sony decide to release the source code, the opportunities would be boundless.

Jun 1, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #4,807 of 8,232
^^It would be great if he is still working on CFW, but even if he isn't, I hope he comes back some day. I just miss his presence on the boards.

That said, and I have zero clue if it's even possible to add these features via CFW, but I'd love:
--Under Album Artist view, have albums automatically sorted by tagged album release year;
--be able to add albums/songs to the currently playing play queue (does that make sense), instead of having to create bookmarks/playlists
--display remaining battery %

If you use a tag editor and use the “albumsort“ tag you can put in the release date and the Walkman will display albums in that order. I’ve done that with my Grateful Dead collection

Jun 1, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #4,808 of 8,232
If you use a tag editor and use the “albumsort“ tag you can put in the release date and the Walkman will display albums in that order. I’ve done that with my Grateful Dead collection
Yes that works fine, I'm also using that method for genres where release year makes sense as part of the sorting of albums

Jun 1, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #4,809 of 8,232
I use the following tags at the start of the albumsort field to show albums by release order:

101 - 199 Studio
201 - 299 Live
301 - 399 Compilations
401 - 499 Soundtrack

Here is an example for AC/DC:

101 - High Voltage
102 - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
106 - Highway to Hell
107 - Back in Black
108 - For Those About to Rock We Salute You
112 - The Razor's Edge

Jun 1, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #4,810 of 8,232
I use the following tags at the start of the albumsort field to show albums by release order:

101 - 199 Studio
201 - 299 Live
301 - 399 Compilations
401 - 499 Soundtrack

Here is an example for AC/DC:

101 - High Voltage
102 - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
106 - Highway to Hell
107 - Back in Black
108 - For Those About to Rock We Salute You
112 - The Razor's Edge
Maybe the release year would be enough

Jun 1, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #4,811 of 8,232
Jun 2, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #4,812 of 8,232
Jun 2, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #4,814 of 8,232
Has anyone tried this one too? The cfw MrWalkman's are so professional and he gives us tools for revetting to the original I don't know for the other modder, how to reset it? I want to try the cfw autumn +/ some mod that for 3.01 system ver...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/post-15561180
Yeah these were great tunings that I had the privilege of testing hundreds before we decided on the final release. However these are just tuning files. But the ones released here are full custom firmwares which add much more functionality on top of tuning as well. So I would recommended you to start with either Dawn or Midnight and see if you like them.

Jun 2, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #4,815 of 8,232
Eclipse tune for NW-WM1Z >> Here
"Please follow the included instruction inside"

Tuned on low gain in J region FW 3.02. Sorry for the long wait 1Z people. Here is my best tune to date.
This is only for 1z I presume?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back