SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 15, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #36,271 of 45,723
Do we need to restore to stock FW first before we install seasonal FW?
No, just run the installer and select the version of your firmware, and it will run in a breeze.

Apr 15, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #36,272 of 45,723
i just installed Autumn on my stock WM1A (3.02 FW) - great job guys the sound is nicely beefed up without sounding bloated

I will try all FWs in the next few days/weeks to see which one plays best to my preferences but initial impression is very positive , indeed

kudos to @aceedburn and @morgenstern09 for their hard work - and of course thanx to @Whitigir and @Morbideath for getting this party started :xf_cool:

edit : 2 hours later, i switched to Spring, this FW seems more balanced than Autumn, the bass hits nicely but not as much as before and i get just great balance across the sonic spectrum.

These are some great FWs.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #36,273 of 45,723
Do we need to restore to stock FW first before we install seasonal FW?

Not necessarily. Only in the case you wish, for example, to use the tuning on the 3.01 firmware and you have stock 3.02 installed. In this case you would have to first install stock 3.01 and then choosing option "B" (3.01) from that blue window.

Apr 15, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #36,274 of 45,723
@morgenstern09 seeing that your FWs are all tuned with musical as a priority i think 3.02 , which is a leaner FW may suit better with them ?

just a thought.

Apr 15, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #36,276 of 45,723
i am gonna leave (again) what i consider to be the most perfect prog house mix i have heard (and i have heard more than 200-300 official comps/mixes)

The tunes , the mixing , the buildup , the journey - all are stellar.

If you like DJs like Sasha / Digweed / Dave Seaman / Hernan Cattaneo , this will blow your mind.

From 2002 , when Prog was kickin' ass (it was too good to last but at least it lasted for some time...)

CD 1

CD 2

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #36,277 of 45,723
With my WM1Z I found (Changed to J region on 3.01 FW):
I found that the J region is the best from all the other regions but with stock 3.01 the higs sound very piercing and fatigue for me.
Because that I rolled to CEV (stock 3.01) region which has smoother highs than J. In this setup I stayed long time.

Now I changed region back to J (on 3.01 FW) and go to try new Season FWs:

Autumn FW sounds too much thick and smooth on my WM1Z. It is because of thicker and smoother sound signature of 1Z than 1A. It is because the Kimber Cable inside 1Z which is Litz type - this eliminates the current jumping between the strands like happens in OFC cable in 1A. There in 1Z are also used different resistors in output filtering stage (slow roll-off). In 1A are used MELF resistors with different value and filter is seted to sharp roll-off.

Spring FW has really very balanced sound slightly on brighter side on 1Z. Probably neutral.

Summer FW is the most detailed and clear from all four season FWs. The brighter one.

But the Winter surprisingly is the better of all season FW for me! I immediately started dancing with it! It is less thick and smooth than Autumn. Because more bass it add body and depth to the sound. This one has the deepest sound which I am looking for. The sound is just a bit on darker side. But that MUSICALITY and correct vocal timbre is phenomenal.

Im happy now.
These 4 FW are definitely perfect for precise tune of your players (both 1A and 1Z) sound signature to pair with your headphones.
Great job!

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #36,278 of 45,723
Hello again :)

After the initial experimentation which resulted in the V7 A, B, and C tunings (most notable being A), here are...

The Seasons (click)

Read more about each season, here:

Many thanks to @aceedburn for helping with the testing, and also with the beautiful description of each tuning.

We hope you'll enjoy them as much as we do, and don't hesitate to leave your feedback.

In the link above you can find packages for each region (EU/JP/U). Also, before the Software Update tool will start, you will be greeted with this:

1586945584120.png

This will allow you to choose to what version of firmware you would like to apply the tuning to. For example, if at the moment you use the 3.01 firmware, you should choose option b. After you'll enter "b" and then press the Enter key, the Software Update tool will start, ready to apply the tuning for the firmware you have already installed.

What about WM1Z?

I don't own a WM1Z and the end result might be a bit different. If anyone wants to try this on a WM1Z, click here.

As @aceedburn mentioned, the testing was done on stock WM1A, using the J region.

Also, don't hesitate to try out that 3.5 mm port! :)

is this windows only?

Apr 15, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #36,280 of 45,723
Apr 15, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #36,282 of 45,723
Can you do a version to run on Catalina?
Not until Sony updates the official firmware updater.

The issue is the kernel extension that Sony uses to do the installation hasn't been update after Apple warned them 4 years ago that where they installed it and the API they used would be no longer available in a future release which happened to be Catalina.

The only way to do updates on Catalina is to use a Mojave or Windows VM. That is what I'm doing.

Apr 16, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #36,283 of 45,723
Autumn+

When the leaves fall, so do the beats. This version of Autumn punches way down with
superb bass resolution. The vocals are full and warm yet airy and articulate. Highs are
silky smooth. The soundstage is wide and well spread out. The best all round sound for
all genres.

This is basically a more refined tuning of Autumn, which sounds really great in my opinion.

But enough with the descriptions. If you'd like to try it out yourself, you can find it here (click).

As previously mentioned, the tuning was done using a stock WM1A, using the J region.
Using this on a WM1Z (included in the link) or on a WM1A with a different region may
result in a slightly different sound.

Credits:

- unknown Chinese Walkman enthusiast who decided to share some details about his discovery
- me for the tuning process
- @aceedburn for helping me with testing different tunings until this was achieved, and providing the descriptions for these mods

As always, feedback is welcomed :wink:

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #36,284 of 45,723
Autumn+

When the leaves fall, so do the beats. This version of Autumn punches way down with
superb bass resolution. The vocals are full and warm yet airy and articulate. Highs are
silky smooth. The soundstage is wide and well spread out. The best all round sound for
all genres.

This is basically a more refined tuning of Autumn, which sounds really great in my opinion.

But enough with the descriptions. If you'd like to try it out yourself, you can find it here (click).

As previously mentioned, the tuning was done using a stock WM1A, using the J region.
Using this on a WM1Z (included in the link) or on a WM1A with a different region may

Thanks again, @aceedburn for the description and for testing!

Enjoy!
The best tuning so far. Tried it even on my Z5 which is quite bassy and the sound is amazing. Bass is so well defined and tight with great decay. Soundstage goes well behind my ears, literally. Well done yet again to @morgenstern09

Apr 16, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #36,285 of 45,723
Autumn+

all genres.

Thanks again, @aceedburn for the description and for testing!

Enjoy!

I admire the work you have done to pack up these mods and make the process really easy for end users.

I haven't tried them yet, but I am keen on testing Autumn+ in my 1z. And just to clarify, I bought it outside Japan, but I set it to Japan region and would like to keep that region. Does it mean I should install the universal (U) version of these mods?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back