SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 15, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #36,256 of 45,723
Yes, it happened to me. Just leave it for a few minutes and it will eventually turn on and continue charging.

yeah it just opened up , one question is it better if i let it charge all the way to 100% while being in use or swhile being hut down ?

Apr 15, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #36,258 of 45,723
I think for any device it would be better to let it charge while not being used at all :)
Yes indeed. Do a complete charge and discharge of Walkman every 50 charges or so. It will help recalibrate the battery.

Apr 15, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #36,259 of 45,723
well i am shutting down my wm1a while it's charging (from a socket) and it opens up on its own

weird.

anyway , i did as you people said, i let it shut down on its own , and i will not hear any music on it until it's charged to 100% (i have disabled the 90% charge option) see if the battery improves

Apr 15, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #36,260 of 45,723
well i am shutting down my wm1a while it's charging (from a socket) and it opens up on its own

weird.

anyway , i did as you people said, i let it shut down on its own , and i will not hear any music on it until it's charged to 100% (i have disabled the 90% charge option) see if the battery improves

Oh, yes, it doesn't stay turned off. Just don't use it while it's charging, it's enough. I'm pretty sure it goes to sleep while the screen is turned off.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #36,261 of 45,723
@morgenstern09 ah i see

thanx , btw i see that you have tuned those 2020 FWs with a stock wm1a / J region - i have the exact same setup so i am very eager to try those FWs

could you guys give a more music-centered description - which FW is the reference/neutral one , which is the musical one and so on ?

thanx again

Apr 15, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #36,262 of 45,723
@morgenstern09 ah i see

thanx , btw i see that you have tuned those 2020 FWs with a stock wm1a / J region - i have the exact same setup so i am very eager to try those FWs

could you guys give a more music-centered description - which FW is the reference/neutral one , which is the musical one and so on ?

thanx again
Summer and spring will be the audiophiles choice I’m sure while winter and autumn is the musical and fun ones. Like I wrote in my description 2 of them have very deep bass and 2 of them have unbelievable soundstage. If you love soundstage, summer is the one you want. It’s unbeatable.

Apr 15, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #36,263 of 45,723
Summer and spring will be the audiophiles choice I’m sure while winter and autumn is the musical and fun ones. Like I wrote in my description 2 of them have very deep bass and 2 of them have unbelievable soundstage. If you love soundstage, summer is the one you want. It’s unbeatable.
And none of them are for reference listening because music is not meant to be analysed. It’s meant to be enjoyed. Period.

Apr 15, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #36,265 of 45,723
Listening to Vivaldi’s Seasons on the Seasons firmware. Absolutely divine.

Attachments

• B89B10BA-6D40-4DB9-A146-DAB34174CDC5.jpeg
    B89B10BA-6D40-4DB9-A146-DAB34174CDC5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Apr 15, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #36,266 of 45,723
Hello again :)

After the initial experimentation which resulted in the V7 A, B, and C tunings (most notable being A), here are...

The Seasons (click)

Read more about each season, here:

Many thanks to @aceedburn for helping with the testing, and also with the beautiful description of each tuning.

We hope you'll enjoy them as much as we do, and don't hesitate to leave your feedback.

In the link above you can find packages for each region (EU/JP/U). Also, before the Software Update tool will start, you will be greeted with this:

This will allow you to choose to what version of firmware you would like to apply the tuning to. For example, if at the moment you use the 3.01 firmware, you should choose option b. After you'll enter "b" and then press the Enter key, the Software Update tool will start, ready to apply the tuning for the firmware you have already installed.

Why just WM1A?

I don't own a WM1Z and the end result might be a bit different. If anyone wants to try this on a WM1Z, please PM me.

As @aceedburn mentioned, the testing was done on stock WM1A, using the J region.

Also, don't hesitate to try out the 3.5 mm port! :)
Thanks @morgenstern09 that I have the privilege to try the seasons FWs with my stock 1Z. I also have a Romi Blackgate modded 1A but for the interest of most members here, I shall share my view on the 4 FWs briefly here (in sequence of my preference) with my stock 1Z:

Player - Stock 1Z, Firmware Version 3.01, Region: Universal / Japan
IER - FiR Audio M5, PW Audio Mercer 4-wires, 4.4mm Balanced Out

1. Autumn - A thick and smooth mid makes it perfect for vocal. Bass is deep with smooth treble, with an impressive soundstage and resolution. For me it is the one for soft jazz vocal and pops.

2. Spring - A perfect balanced low, mid and high. Nothing stands out but it works in a harmonic way. Recommended for all genres.

3. Winter - Similar to autumn but with a deeper bass. Soundstage is a bit narrower than Spring and Summer. Suitable for Jazz / pops / rock.

4. Summer - Amazing soundstage and resolution, mid is a bit thin but overall a neutral tonality. Suitable for Live Album / Classical.

What impressed me most is the smoothness of the high for all seasons of which I am a bit sensitive on. I think technically these FWs are not stressing much on hardware capability of the device and the IEM, but overall musicality and tonality is fantastic. I can easily listen for these FWs for hours.

Thanks again @aceedburn and @morgenstern09 for your contribution and unselfish sharing.

Attachments

• 20200415_213012.jpg
    20200415_213012.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #36,267 of 45,723
Thanks @morgenstern09 that I have the privilege to try the seasons FWs with my stock 1Z. I also have a Romi Blackgate modded 1A but for the interest of most members here, I shall share my view on the 4 FWs briefly here (in sequence of my preference) with my stock 1Z:

1. Autumn - A thick and smooth mid makes it perfect for vocal. Bass is deep with smooth treble, with an impressive soundstage and resolution. For me it is the one for soft jazz vocal and pops.

2. Spring - A perfect balanced low, mid and high. Nothing stands out but it works in a harmonic way. Recommended for all genres.

3. Winter - Similar to autumn but with a deeper bass. Soundstage is a bit narrower than Spring and Summer. Suitable for Jazz / pops / rock.

4. Summer - Amazing soundstage and resolution, mid is a bit thin but overall a neutral tonality. Suitable for Live Album / Classical.

What impressed me most is the smoothness of the high for all seasons of which I am a bit sensitive on. I think technically these FWs are not stressing much on hardware capability of the device and the IEM, but overall musicality and tonality is fantastic. I can easily listen for these FWs for hours.

Thanks again @aceedburn and @morgenstern09 for your contribution and unselfish sharing.
I have never been satisfied with this track but it sings perfectly with my modded 1A and Autumn FW!

Attachments

• 20200415_212105.jpg
    20200415_212105.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Apr 15, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #36,268 of 45,723
MQA is a diabolical format
*lossy truncated to between 13 and 17 bits
*producers must PAY ROYALTIES (in theory in the future.it could be DRM botched )
DRM is already happening with TIDAL offline files, iant it?

- don't care extraordinarily much about that, the difference is probably not really noticeable
- I agree with this :frowning2:
- boooo :D (just kidding)

Its time to start a new war debate between Mqa and Flac HAHAhahaha :) Lets admit Mqa is lossy so boo booo

Does those new FW compatible with wm1z and 1a at same time?

Apr 15, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #36,269 of 45,723
Its time to start a new war debate between Mqa and Flac HAHAhahaha :) Lets admit Mqa is lossy so boo booo

Does those new FW compatible with wm1z and 1a at same time?
The FWs on the thread is for 1A and you can pm @morgenstern09 for 1Z versions

Apr 15, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #36,270 of 45,723
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back