Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Nov 6, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #1,366 of 8,236
I've been listening to the reloaded+ on my NW45 for a while now and really like it

I wasn't that fond of the NW45 in stock form before to be honest and wasn't using it much, my phone was actually not worse, so the stock nw45 was ignored... until I tried the reloaded+ fw. I can't name the changes but everything just sounds better now than stock. I use the Bluetooth receiver mode most of the time with spotify and i like it more than the same songs played directly from the stock nw45. The LDAC format seems to be really good it seems, at least I can't see any loss in the bluetooth transmission.

I also compared the reloaded+ nw45 to the chord mojo and prefer the nw45 to the mojo. Everything sounds more relaxed and smoother on the nw45, it seems to play the music at a slower, more mellow pace. The Mojo sounds faster but also harder in comparison. Of course the nw45 doesn't have the resolution of the mojo, but it has more subbass and sounds more forgiving and "analogue" than the mojo. It became my first choise player now, thanks a lot @MrWalkman, you have done an amazing thing here!

Now I'm wondering if I should buy a used ZX300 and try the DMP fw on it. Is the ZX300 much better than the nw45 soundwise? The nw45 reloaded+ seems to be based on the ZX300 firmware so they may sound very similar, don't they?

Actually, the ZX300 should sound better. The Reloaded and Reloaded+ mods for the A40/A30 may receive a little modification, to make the sound even better, hinting towards the WM1Z sound.

Also, I would suggest waiting to try the DMP-A40 mod that will come, before buying the ZX300.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #1,367 of 8,236
Well, that's why it would be better if I won't give ETAs next time. I already mentioned it should arrive sometimes this week. This thing is not my main priority in life, so it will arrive when it will arrive :)

Edit: @aceedburn is talking about something extra for the WM1A/WM1Z's DMP-WM1 MK2 by the way.

A45/A35 will first receive the equivalent of DMP-WM1 (MK1), so the hype is not directed at A45/A35 for now anyway. Also, I never asked anyone to hype these things by the way, just if anyone thought otherwise.

I wasn't so much directing my comments towards you than towards people doing the hyping, especially on stuff you haven't released to the wild yet.

You release your stuff when you see it fit.

Peace & respect

Nov 6, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #1,368 of 8,236
DMP-WM1 II is quite compatible with total-BA iems, I like it quite a lot.

It's 3.02 but with more details. Putting the listener a meter or two closer.

The bass ever so slightly aggressive is just perfect. Heavy slams.

This is a FW to get for nice exciting listening sessions.

Reminds me of the Astell Kern tuning.

Nov 8, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #1,370 of 8,236
I just noticed today when using my WM1A with DMP-WM1 II firmware the scrolling was a bit jittery, has anyone else experienced this?

Nov 8, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #1,371 of 8,236
I just noticed today when using my WM1A with DMP-WM1 II firmware the scrolling was a bit jittery, has anyone else experienced this?

Never.

Nov 8, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #1,373 of 8,236
I noticed it too, but I'm not really sure what could cause it. I will look into it later in time, as it's not really bothering me. It's still a lot better than how earlier firmwares were.

Nov 8, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #1,374 of 8,236
I noticed it too, but I'm not really sure what could cause it. I will look into it later in time, as it's not really bothering me. It's still a lot better than how earlier firmwares were.
It's not an issue for me, I've had it installed since the moment you released it, I just noticed it yesterday and wanted to know if anyone else experienced it.
It's all about the sound :L3000:

Nov 8, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #1,376 of 8,236
Hello, and meet the long awaited...

DMP-A40

This custom firmware aims to bring the DMP-Z1 sound signature to the Sony NW-A40Series Walkman player,
while also bringing additional DSP options, features, and visualizations, similar to the previous Reloaded/Reloaded+ mods.

Features:
- sound signature aimed at resembling the one of the DMP-Z1
- DSEE AI (present on DMP-Z1)
- progressive JPEG and interlaced PNG album covers are supported
- Bluetooth Receiver function
- 10 band equalizer
- Tone Control (while in the EQ display, tap the bottom right button to switch to Tone Control)
- DC Phase Linearizer with 6 selectable modes
- Vinyl Processor with 4 selectable modes
- Visualizers: Spectrum Analyzer/Analog VU Meter/Digital Peak Meter (while in the playback screen, tap the bottom right button, and then tap "Change playback screen")
- Direct Source replacing ClearAudio+ (cannot play DSD and MQA files while this is enabled)

Missing features:
- FM Radio
- Noise cancelling
- Language study
- VPT Surround

Please read all the information below!
• The installation doesn't require the model switcher anymore,
and you won't have to do a factory reset. The player will do the factory reset itself.

• You need to be on the stock firmware before you will be able to install this firmware.
If you currently have installed the Reloaded or Reloaded+ firmware, on the page linked
below you can also find a package that will restore your A40 to the stock firmware.

• If the region of the player is J, it will be changed to U, in order to avoid the "Japanese"
language that cannot be changed. At the end of the installation, the region of the player will be J
anyway, but you can change it to any other region, using the destination tool.

Installation:
1. Install DMP-A40 and close the installer afterwards
2. Install DMP-A40_Ext_Tuning

To revert to the stock firmware:
1. Install StockRevert_(DMP_A40) and close the installer afterwards
2. Install StockRevert_Ext_Tuning

Upon installing this firmware, all settings will be reset
and everything in the internal storage will be deleted!

The firmware can be found here. (updated on Nov. 9th*)
* you need to go back to the stock firmware using StockRevert (DMP-A40), if you want to be able to install the latest version

Enjoy, and feel free to leave your feedback! :)

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #1,377 of 8,236
Hello, and meet the long awaited...

DMP-A40

This custom firmware aims to bring the DMP-Z1 sound signature to the Sony NW-A40Series Walkman player,
while also bringing additional DSP options, features, and visualizations, similar to the previous Reloaded/Reloaded+ mods.

Features:
- sound signature aimed at resembling the one of the DMP-Z1
- DSEE AI (present on DMP-Z1)
- progressive JPEG and interlaced PNG album covers are supported
- Bluetooth Receiver function
- 10 band equalizer
- Vinyl Processor with 4 selectable modes
- Visualizers: Spectrum Analyzer/Analog VU Meter/Digital Peak Meter
- Direct Source replacing ClearAudio+ (cannot play DSD and MQA files while this is enabled)

Missing features:
- FM Radio
- Noise cancelling
- Language study
- VPT Surround

• The installation doesn't require the model switcher anymore,
and you won't have to do a factory reset. The player will do the factory reset itself.

• If the region of the player is J, it will be changed to U, in order to avoid the "Japanese"
language that cannot be changed. You can change the region back to J afterwards if you
wish, with the destination tool.

Installation:
1. Install DMP-A40 and close the installer afterwards
2. Install DMP-A40_Ext_Tuning

To revert to the stock firmware:
1. Install StockRevert_(DMP_A40) and close the installer afterwards
2. Install StockRevert_Ext_Tuning

Upon installing this firmware, all settings will be reset
and everything in the internal storage will be deleted!

If you want to try this firmware and you currently have installed the Reloaded or Reloaded+ firmware,
on the page linked below you can also find a package that will restore your A40 to the stock firmware.

The firmware can be found here.

Enjoy, and feel free to leave your feedback! :)
Christmas came early this year! Thanks!

Nov 8, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #1,378 of 8,236
Nov 8, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #1,379 of 8,236
For some weird reason the player is not getting recognized by the installer. Any idea @MrWalkman i have Reloaded++
Capture.PNG

Nov 8, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #1,380 of 8,236
You need to be on the stock firmware first. This is why I mentioned this:

If you want to try this firmware and you currently have installed the Reloaded or Reloaded+ firmware,
on the page linked below you can also find a package that will restore your A40 to the stock firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back