Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Nov 8, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #1,382 of 8,242
Hello, and meet the long awaited...

DMP-A40

This custom firmware aims to bring the DMP-Z1 sound signature to the Sony NW-A40Series Walkman player,
while also bringing additional DSP options, features, and visualizations, similar to the previous Reloaded/Reloaded+ mods.

Features:
- sound signature aimed at resembling the one of the DMP-Z1
- DSEE AI (present on DMP-Z1)
- progressive JPEG and interlaced PNG album covers are supported
- Bluetooth Receiver function
- 10 band equalizer
- Vinyl Processor with 4 selectable modes
- Visualizers: Spectrum Analyzer/Analog VU Meter/Digital Peak Meter
- Direct Source replacing ClearAudio+ (cannot play DSD and MQA files while this is enabled)

Missing features:
- FM Radio
- Noise cancelling
- Language study
- VPT Surround

• The installation doesn't require the model switcher anymore,
and you won't have to do a factory reset. The player will do the factory reset itself.

• You need to be on the stock firmware before you will be able to install this firmware.
If you currently have installed the Reloaded or Reloaded+ firmware, on the page linked
below you can also find a package that will restore your A40 to the stock firmware.

• If the region of the player is J, it will be changed to U, in order to avoid the "Japanese"
language that cannot be changed. You can change the region back to J afterwards if you
wish, with the destination tool.

Installation:
1. Install DMP-A40 and close the installer afterwards
2. Install DMP-A40_Ext_Tuning

To revert to the stock firmware:
1. Install StockRevert_(DMP_A40) and close the installer afterwards
2. Install StockRevert_Ext_Tuning

Upon installing this firmware, all settings will be reset
and everything in the internal storage will be deleted!

The firmware can be found here.

Enjoy, and feel free to leave your feedback! :)

too bad, going to work and i don't have any laptop with me, probably will try by December I guess. anyway, already downloaded the firmware on my phone.

Nov 8, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #1,384 of 8,242
i think i bricked it, now it's in bootloop @MrWalkman How i can reset it?

But how? I installed it and reverted to stock for about 6 times, with no issues.

When did this happen, when reverting to stock? Did you use the old model switcher method of the Reloaded mod?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #1,386 of 8,242
Man, please read the whole post next time. I specially created a package that you can use instead of the old model switcher thing.

Did you do the factory reset as instructed, after using the old model switcher?

For everyone, please read the whole post and use the package I created if you are on Reloaded and you want to revert to stock. Thanks!

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #1,388 of 8,242
Nov 8, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #1,390 of 8,242
Not very far into this new experience, but Stevie Ray Vaughn - Tin Pan Alley, very sweet! Nice work!

Nice!

Regarding the old Reloaded mod, I would recommend not using it anymore. It may cause issues due to the tricky installation method, including both the instructions and how the installation works in the background.

in the meanwhile I learned more, and the Model Switcher stuff is weird to be honest, but at the time I created it I saw it as fine.

I will release Reloaded again, with a hint of the WM1Z sound, though DMP-A40 is basically just like the Reloaded mods, only that it sounds much better in my opinion, and it's easier to install/revert to stock.

Nov 8, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #1,391 of 8,242

DMP-A40

This custom firmware aims to bring the DMP-Z1 sound signature to the Sony NW-A40Series Walkman player,
while also bringing additional DSP options, features, and visualizations, similar to the previous Reloaded/Reloaded+ mods.

Features:
- 10 band equalizer
- Direct Source replacing ClearAudio+ (cannot play DSD and MQA files while this is enabled)

Missing features:
- FM Radio
- Noise cancelling
- Language study
- VPT Surround

and you won't have to do a factory reset. The player will do the factory reset itself.

• You need to be on the stock firmware before you will be able to install this firmware.
If you currently have installed the Reloaded or Reloaded+ firmware, on the page linked
below you can also find a package that will restore your A40 to the stock firmware.

• If the region of the player is J, it will be changed to U, in order to avoid the "Japanese"
language that cannot be changed. You can change the region back to J afterwards if you

Installation:

Wow Just Wow! Cant wait to try this one. Shall revert back with my feedback on the same. Im sure the installation will be as flawless as your earlier versions for my nwa40 series. You are a Godsent for us without a doubt. Much love and Respect @MrWalkman

Nov 8, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #1,392 of 8,242

DMP-A40

Features:
- 10 band equalizer

Missing features:
- FM Radio
- Noise cancelling
- Language study
- VPT Surround

Installation:

I am already on Reloaded + and trying to revert back to the stock firmware using the new link you have given in your above post. But it gives me an error that first connect the USB to the walkman even it is connected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back